Forum
[IDEA] Recognition of donors - PLEASE VOTE - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Community (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: XBian news (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: [IDEA] Recognition of donors - PLEASE VOTE (/thread-1287.html)

Pages: 1 2

Recognition of donors - PLEASE VOTE - rikardo1979 - 30th Aug, 2013 01:01 AM

Hey folks,

We would like to run some research. We would like to know what you think of making the members who decided to donate an money for our project, to make them recognized on our forum or even to have a List of donors?
We know some people would like to show and others would like to stay under, so this would be Opt-in and Opt-out for every single donation and all donors. So every one would have an option to stay anonymous or chose to become recognized as donor.

Basically it would be something like the XBMC does have - Donation system

So please if you can vote for Yes or No on the top just above this post, also if you would like to comment, talk or ask about it more, please do so in this thread.
Thank you

RE: Recognition of donors - rikardo1979 - 30th Aug, 2013 01:33 AM

common guys, 29 views and no vote? This is not a way we would like to do it. We really need to see the votes, your votes as it would be for you and not for us.
-thx-

RE: Recognition of donors - mk01 - 30th Aug, 2013 02:05 AM

maybe just you are constantly hitting refresh Smile

RE: Recognition of donors - rikardo1979 - 30th Aug, 2013 02:12 AM

(30th Aug, 2013 02:05 AM)mk01 Wrote:  maybe just you are constantly hitting refresh Smile

i did it only 20times so there were still 9 visitors Big Grin

RE: Recognition of donors - brantje - 30th Aug, 2013 03:36 AM

Edit, must be blind.
Still answer is yes, because it can give a certain 'status'

Maybe we should create an extra forum for donators (and admins), only.
And post here the things you want to test.

Re: Recognition of donors - f1vefour - 30th Aug, 2013 03:52 AM

Recognition for donations is always a good thing.

A forum badge and a list of donators sounds like a winner.

RE: Recognition of donors - SphereSilver - 30th Aug, 2013 04:00 AM

I vote "maybe".

Just make the badge (or so) and ask donators if they want the badge or not. Not everybody wants to show off their donating skills Wink

RE: Recognition of donors - rikardo1979 - 30th Aug, 2013 04:21 AM

(30th Aug, 2013 04:00 AM)SphereSilver Wrote:  I vote "maybe".

Just make the badge (or so) and ask donators if they want the badge or not. Not everybody wants to show off their donating skills Wink

thanks for you vote Smile and if you read my post better I mentioned that it would be opt-in/opt-out option so every one can choose to become recognized or just stay anonymous Wink

RE: Recognition of donors - SphereSilver - 30th Aug, 2013 04:31 AM

(30th Aug, 2013 04:21 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  

thanks for you vote Smile and if you read my post better I mentioned that it would be opt-in/opt-out option so every one can choose to become recognized or just stay anonymous Wink

Ok, to make it a bit more clear what I mean:
You should add the option "opt-in" to the choices. Because I think that's what's keeping people from answering Wink

RE: Recognition of donors - rikardo1979 - 30th Aug, 2013 04:52 AM

(30th Aug, 2013 04:31 AM)SphereSilver Wrote:  
(30th Aug, 2013 04:21 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  

Ok, to make it a bit more clear what I mean:
You should add the option "opt-in" to the choices. Because I think that's what's keeping people from answering Wink

jeezus, if you didn't get it than nobody else does... now I understand why we dont have the votes Big Grin
Cool

But it was all written in my post, so I have highlighted it and added more, any better?
hope it is Wink
Cool

RE: Recognition of donors - PLEASE VOTE - SphereSilver - 30th Aug, 2013 05:03 AM

Well, ehm... this response might also have something to do with it:
Quote:You do not have permission to access this page. This could be because of one of the following reasons:

Your account has either been suspended or you have been banned from accessing this resource.
You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn't be? Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.
Your account may still be awaiting activation or moderation. (Resend Activation Code)
You have accessed this page directly rather than using appropriate forms or link.

RE: Recognition of donors - IriDium - 30th Aug, 2013 05:06 AM

So how will they be recognised on the forum? Surely the main Xbian web home page is the place. (aka Raspbmc) Also, how do you differentiate between a €1 donation and your Rolls Royce, Koens Ferrari 430 or MK's Veyron? I wish to keep my Dashia duster hidden - thank you very much :-)

Is there a difference between private donations and corporate ones? Also does "GeorgeAtAsda" donated $5 actually mean anything to anyone - apart from the user?

Also - surely those who donate their time is more important than just a monetary contribution, although I do know time does not pay for cars and servers!!

I'm just not too sure what you are trying to achieve here.

If you are trying to generate additional donations by actively promoting those who do, then the simple opt in/out will simply suffice, how you display those who do opt-in you haven't specified.

How about, changing MOTD to read "Xbian is brought to you by "Radical Washing Powders" (donated $50), they clean raspberry stains like no other?

You may guess I'm being cynical here, but "what are you trying to achieve"? Surely those who donate at the moment don't care. If you are trying to create additional donations, then make it clear.

Just in case anyone is in any confusion, no cars were freely exchanged in bringing Xbian to the world - I hope!

RE: Recognition of donors - PLEASE VOTE - rikardo1979 - 30th Aug, 2013 05:28 AM

(30th Aug, 2013 05:06 AM)IriDium Wrote:  So how will they be recognised on the forum? Surely the main Xbian web home page is the place. (aka Raspbmc) Also, how do you differentiate between a €1 donation and your Rolls Royce, Koens Ferrari 430 or MK's Veyron? I wish to keep my Dashia duster hidden - thank you very much :-)

Is there a difference between private donations and corporate ones? Also does "GeorgeAtAsda" donated $5 actually mean anything to anyone - apart from the user?

Also - surely those who donate their time is more important than just a monetary contribution, although I do know time does not pay for cars and servers!!

I'm just not too sure what you are trying to achieve here.

If you are trying to generate additional donations by actively promoting those who do, then the simple opt in/out will simply suffice, how you display those who do opt-in you haven't specified.

How about, changing MOTD to read "Xbian is brought to you by "Radical Washing Powders" (donated $50), they clean raspberry stains like no other?

You may guess I'm being cynical here, but "what are you trying to achieve"? Surely those who donate at the moment don't care. If you are trying to create additional donations, then make it clear.

Just in case anyone is in any confusion, no cars were freely exchanged in bringing Xbian to the world - I hope!
trying to achieve? not much, just give the option to people as some do like to be more visible than others, to show that they are proud, etc...
And from my experience, most of the forums has this option(im member of many, mention just few famous like XBMC, XDA Developers, and so on).
So all is about to have an option if I would like to do so, no more no less.
I have never said and never will that if someone who gave £50 is more than the one who gave £5 or who contribute with the time and giving the technical (testing, reporting, etc) and posting 100s of posts on forum.
There is no difference between me, you, him, them....
We are all on "same" level, we are all a value to the project, if is just a user who came and download and start using and never come back, or if is someone who spend 100s of hours, etc...
The whole thing is about an OPTION to have. Some people would like to tell the others, to show that they are proud that they helped the project, even a little. Those who help to develop cos they have the skills, they might be given he credits with release of XBian, or they become a moderator, maintainer, or any rank on forum cos they help with that, this or simply just they help with all bits and posts 100s or 1000s of post. These people are recognized too, cos you can see it from their forum status or you see their nickname in credits with release notes.
But many, and majority who doesnt have a time or the skills, they might to help and they do by donations, but hey...these people, maybe they want to have and option to be recognized.., maybe they would like to show - look I helped too, maybe not much but I did, and I'm proud and I would like you to see that I did!

So all I trying to do is to give these people the option to do so, to have the the option to show they helping, and we appreciate all kinds of help, no matter what who does, we are all trying to help as we want to make XBian a better, a best ....

Thanks

RE: Recognition of donors - PLEASE VOTE - doug - 30th Aug, 2013 05:49 AM

(30th Aug, 2013 05:03 AM)SphereSilver Wrote:  Well, ehm... this response might also have something to do with it:
[quote]You do not have permission to access this page. This could be because of one of the following reasons:
....etc, etc.

+1

(it was a yes vote)

RE: Recognition of donors - PLEASE VOTE - rikardo1979 - 30th Aug, 2013 05:55 AM