Forum
beta2 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: beta2 (/thread-1312.html)

RE: beta2 - wind-rider - 29th Sep, 2013 03:07 AM

(29th Sep, 2013 12:26 AM)IriDium Wrote:  
(28th Sep, 2013 11:04 PM)wind-rider Wrote:  I know that the possibility to boot from usb being developed, but could this also be used to boot from NFS?
Search and ye shall find NFS

Thank you very much for sharing that link. I searched myself for "NFS boot" (both in this forum and in Google), and I found some information, but couldn't all information I needed. For example this topic http://forum.xbian.org/thread-461.html?highlight=nfs ("Network Installation") from februari discusses it, but there it is still a work in progress.

Unfortunately the link that you shared does not allow me to see the page. I am logged into the forum, but it complains that I may not go directly to that page.

Could you please share the title of that topic, so that I can find it myself?

RE: beta2 - IriDium - 29th Sep, 2013 04:34 AM

(29th Sep, 2013 03:07 AM)wind-rider Wrote:  I know that the possibility to boot from usb being developed, but could this also be used to boot from NFS?

Woops my mistake - as you found out, it is in a restricted area of the Forum.

Quote:It can be included the same way as usb install, although most of the work is to prepare NFS export on server (NAS), adapt cmdline.txt. Then just on booted XBian mount the NFS export, copy whole root to it and reboot.

RE: beta2 - Smultie - 29th Sep, 2013 05:03 AM

It's been awfully quite from MK01 lately. Is he on holiday or something?

RE: beta2 - blackvenom - 29th Sep, 2013 07:08 AM

Well it looks like mk01's server is back up [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

RE: beta2 - darrylb - 29th Sep, 2013 02:05 PM

Hmm, I have yet another failed install. At this point, I am tempted to give up on a beta 2 upgrade at this time, until its fully built for download. The biggest reason I was wanting to try this one, is RaLink 5370 wireless dongle to work, as I have had a heck of a time getting it to work with previous versions...

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 29th Sep, 2013 02:43 PM

(24th Sep, 2013 03:36 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Activated "Turn TV off with screen saver" - it worked, but turning TV back on again rebooted XBIAN. Possibly a conflict with CEC option what to do when TV is switched off.

Suggest remove that option - looked good but has problems.

could be, as the libcec "included" options are not-working/working with each upstream differently I have it all off. so I never tested with any of them on. maybe just send as (active source) on start and that's all.

is the libcec setting working with you (input device setting inside xbmc->system)?

it is off now for new installs/upgrades but as it is the only way I have seen working I would not rather be taking it 'out'. I will retest the conflicts / maybe put small note / do a cross check for those libcec xbmc settings with enable to switch ON in case of conflict.

(23rd Sep, 2013 01:17 AM)webjib Wrote:  Here's another issue with Beta 2 : international characters (like French é / è à) are not positioned in correct order in lists.

See screenshot :
http://cl.ly/image/1l2l3M3N2R0y

@webjib, as I have no idea of French, you have to explain more closely. As I have no idea what is wrong on the picture.

You mean sorting of national characters is wrong, or special characters are misplaced ?

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 29th Sep, 2013 03:53 PM

(29th Sep, 2013 02:05 PM)darrylb Wrote:  Hmm, I have yet another failed install. At this point, I am tempted to give up on a beta 2 upgrade at this time, until its fully built for download. The biggest reason I was wanting to try this one, is RaLink 5370 wireless dongle to work, as I have had a heck of a time getting it to work with previous versions...

@darrylb, before you give up, can you just tell me whether is it this one?

http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1346-post-15719.html#pid15719

as I after a week realized the issue, I turned the apt and web completely down, that's why it was non-accessible. after some changes turned on again ~ 1h ago. you got the fresh packages (specially xbian-update in the version 1.0.2-0) and got crash again?

if yes, can you please tell me how you restored and reapplied / reinstalled? Finally I found a typo in calling one of the triggers which caused xbian-update to call itself instead of initramfs update and this still before the same script (own) finished - what created endless loop - with a freeze / reboot in few seconds.

if that's it, then just new boot and update will not help - it will crash again / need to crash again until solved - as the broken script from xbian-update has been stored into system and will be called again - until not overwritten by the corrected one (which takes its place).

so as general info even if you don't give it a try anymore - what I fully accept - but for others:
Code:
1) when the system collapses - unplug AC - remove SD card
2) on another PC go into /boot and:
    a) if possible, check if /boot/initramfs.gz is intact (gunzip -tv initramfs.gz). if on windows and check is not possible, remove "initramfs initramfs.gz 0x00a00000" line from config.txt
    b) check for non empty / existent cmdline.txt. if not present, look for cmdline.new or .default. if you don't have usbinstall, just rename the file to cmdline.txt
3) system should boot
4) do "apt-get clean; apt-get update; apt-get install —reinstall xbian-package-initramfs-tools xbian-update" (dpkg —configure -a will be maybe needed before - apt-get will complain if so)
5) ugly part is, that it will happen again - the wrong/bad scripts is still in the system and marked as active and still accepting trigger requests
6) again step 2)
7) new correct script should already replaced the wrong, but still we need ...
8) to do "dpkg —configure -a"
10) just for test we can do again "apt-get clean; apt-get update; apt-get install —reinstall xbian-package-initramfs-tools xbian-update"

for experienced:
Code:
1) recover as point (2) above
2) just extract "triggers" file and "postinst" from xbian-update 1.0.2-0 and replace the saved versions in /var/lib/dpkg/info
3) anything should run fine

for lazy:
Code:
1) recover as point (2) above
2) if you did not disable regular snapshots (daily/weekly) or before APT-get operation, just:
3) btrfs-auto-snapshot list root
4) find a snapshot dated before Sep-21(or20), I'm not sure and do:
5) btrfs-auto-snapshot rollback [name_of_snapshot] (e.g. root/@btrfs-auto-snap_daily-2013-09-20-0623)
6) reboot and update as usual

(rollback with affect system only, home, xbmc settings / libraries are preserved)

I'm really sorry for troubles to anyone it affected - just hoping this one is the issue. If not I will take the repository down until I find the bug.

mk

(29th Sep, 2013 02:05 PM)darrylb Wrote:  The biggest reason I was wanting to try this one, is RaLink 5370 wireless dongle to work, as I have had a heck of a time getting it to work with previous versions...

and the dongle is at least working ? is it new driver to 3.10.y kernel line?

mk

(26th Sep, 2013 01:28 AM)Smultie Wrote:  Just installed beta2 and I'm pleasantly surprised.
One thing that doesn't seem to be working anymore though are the "play, pause, stop, forward" buttons on my remote when using CEC.

http://imm.io/1gMPZ

can you please retry with xbian-package-xbmc-scripts v1.0.1-2 with the "tv screen off" set to OFF and report back?

mk

(22nd Sep, 2013 07:32 PM)webjib Wrote:  Should /etc/usbmount/mount.d/ contains a script to share usb drive ?
According to this page :http://www.davidc.net/automatically-exporting-usb-drives-over-samba

it is just one command messing nice style inside usbmount because the original scripts is calling helper folders/scripts only in case of ext. disk not found in /etc/fstab.

so if someone if yet from Alpha5 using /etc/fstab for static names, or other reasons, such disks would be excluded from the workflow.

but for this whole structure of if<>then needs to be changed and there are at least 6-7 levels of it. so for now will stay like this and one day with clear eye and bright head will change the structure.

one reason what just crossed my mind is that on boot up, the registry shares table is cleared (on start of smbd). it is more than likely, that the disk is mounted before.

can you (with booted system) try:
Code:
DEVNAME=/dev/XXX usbmount remove
usbmount /dev/XXX

mount point should appear as share. you can check with
Code:
net conf list

I will think about the early mount, later network and late smbd.

(23rd Sep, 2013 05:18 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  
Quote:Also, as of now, lirc is not starting itself. "Service lirc start" returns "start: Job failed to start".
Got the same error here. When using the old init script it does work.

so that means that /etc/lirc includes are ok ?

if you update xbian-package-lirc to 1.4-8.3, I turned on debug logging. just do a "start lirc" and post /var/log/upstart/lirc.log

(23rd Sep, 2013 09:44 AM)thenork Wrote:  Also, as of now, lirc is not starting itself. "Service lirc start" returns "start: Job failed to start". I can start it manually by running lircd (as root). If I then run service lirc stop, it says "lirc stop/waiting", but it does not actually stop lircd.

thenork,

1) smb
with encrypted password (samba passwords) turned on, those have to be maintained with "smbpasswd" command.

it is possible to update linux system password via smbpassword update (even remote), but I don't know of a solution to do it other direction.

either use "smbpasswd xbian" or just use guest. in actual package version guest should have the same privileges as with 1.x package.

2) lirc
if you update xbian-package-lirc to 1.4-8.3, I turned on debug logging. just do a "start lirc" and post /var/log/upstart/lirc.log

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 29th Sep, 2013 04:55 PM

(23rd Sep, 2013 06:57 PM)Airwolfuk Wrote:  All the other screens are OK

ssh xbian-config also has problems. When I connect to AP I get a failed error message but it is actually connected.

before I align the cli result codes, did you tested please the actual problem we started with - wifi xbmc configuration?

RE: beta2 - namtih - 29th Sep, 2013 05:16 PM

You are doing an unbelievable job Matus! And doing all this development in your spare time is really impressive.
I really hope it's still more fun than hard work for you.

But I hope that someday will be another developer so that you don't need care of the whole development process alone. And perhaps Koenkk will also be more active in the future again, so that also the XBMC part get's more polished. We will see...

RE: beta2 - Airwolfuk - 29th Sep, 2013 05:49 PM

(29th Sep, 2013 04:55 PM)mk01 Wrote:  
(23rd Sep, 2013 06:57 PM)Airwolfuk Wrote:  All the other screens are OK

ssh xbian-config also has problems. When I connect to AP I get a failed error message but it is actually connected.

before I align the cli result codes, did you tested please the actual problem we started with - wifi xbmc configuration?

For me, Xbian Config wifi setup is completely broken, as I reported earlier, I cannot enable advanced settings and do not even see the network/ connection pages. I can only setup wifi using ssh Xbian Config and even then that has issues as previously reported. Once my wifi is setup it runs pretty good. With external power I get HD streaming over http most of the time.

RE: beta2 - webjib - 29th Sep, 2013 05:55 PM

(29th Sep, 2013 02:43 PM)mk01 Wrote:  @webjib, as I have no idea of French, you have to explain more closely. As I have no idea what is wrong on the picture.

You mean sorting of national characters is wrong, or special characters are misplaced ?

Actually, the sort order is wrong, whereas it was ok before. In any OS, international characters are sorted as their "master" character.
For example, the character "é" should be treated as a "e" when sorting files. Maybe this is an issue with kernel compilation ?

In the screenshot ( http://cl.ly/image/1l2l3M3N2R0y ), item "Économiseur d'écran" should not be at the end of the list...

Hope this helps...

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 29th Sep, 2013 09:23 PM

(26th Sep, 2013 01:40 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Does RPi update still affect Xbian? If not can that line be removed.

definitely yes. it updates firmware & kernel & modules. XBian can boot, but subsystems / services / applications can miss components they count on.

even if it won't hurt - it can not help.

will update the motd.

(27th Sep, 2013 10:25 PM)IriDium Wrote:  
(27th Sep, 2013 03:28 AM)Smultie Wrote:  As soon as I try to press "Create Bookmark" XBMC exits, black screen with white text appears and XBMC restarts.
Ok - That's confirmed.

Hmm we can't go back, we can't go forward because Gotham has that Picture crash, so it may have to stay. Do you know if it is used much?

because until now there were no prio1 issues with xbmc, i have not updated the 12.2 nightly with backports for a while. one never knows if newer release is better as the previous.

but it is available, Koen is compiling. so I can update XBMC binary package today and let's see.

anyhow the release we are on was quite good. after long time DTS-ES/EX was fixed, FF/RW was working, even playing back and forth on different speeds. anytime we can revert back then.

(27th Sep, 2013 12:45 PM)darrylb Wrote:  So, how long shoudl this take to upgrade? Mine has been going at it for a few hours.. still says "Preconfiguring packages...".

If this was by accident as well caused by the bug I created? Could be.

(28th Sep, 2013 04:53 PM)f1vefour Wrote:  Could you at least warn us when your server will be down, it is quite aggrevating to have an update break mid-process!

I took the web down when I realized the problem with update package making system unbootable.

Due to version dependencies between packages your APT won't install packages already downloaded but with unmet dependency (not yet downloaded). Better this with you than 20 more people with broken boot.

Since then I was doing regression and testing over and over again. I can just wait now if anyone confirms it is still existing - or better not. But I could not repeat it for last 8h running auto upgrades & downgrades in a loop.

But I have already been telling how deeply sorry I really am. Have I?

Smile

(28th Sep, 2013 11:04 PM)wind-rider Wrote:  I know that the possibility to boot from usb being developed, but could this also be used to boot from NFS?

I tried it with Beta 1.1 but couldn't get the settings right for fstab and cmdline.txt.

Are there any people who succeeded in doing this?

NFS boot is not such a big success story as it mostly looks reading internet, already CurlyMo's Alpha5 was able to boot NFS with few small mods. Since early Beta development it was a feature and I was using it until switch to btrfs which provided for me similar targets even more.

I will check the actual status with all the changes for past months get back to you.

But as insights general requirement is:
1) kernel with auto ip configuration
2) correct kernel command line options (ip= for kernel auto ip, root=/dev/nfs, nfsroot=10.0.0.10:/path/to/root,nfs_mount_options, bug-free networking scripts - some versions of Debian used to ifdown & ifup already UP network with rootfs mounted on it ... bad bad)
3) with NFS3, nolock is a must as mount option (you don't have rpcbind & statd available during mount) - with NFS4 it's much more straight forward
4) nfs export from server with no_root_squash
5) the NFS should contain simple copy of your system, rsync or even cp -arvd will do just fine

Like I said, will recheck later today and post mini-howto.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 29th Sep, 2013 10:56 PM

(29th Sep, 2013 05:55 PM)webjib Wrote:  In the screenshot ( http://cl.ly/image/1l2l3M3N2R0y ), item "Économiseur d'écran" should not be at the end of the list...

ok, character sorting. understand. with the "main" character and specials is not always true, but I believe you're right with French.

When you say "it was ok before" means what? It was ok with Alpha5, Beta1X, or even with Beta2?
Or pre 12.2 stable XBMC versions? Only thing I changed lately - I added change of XBMC time zone together with system (from xbian-config ssh / xbmc). For XBMC there is need to change country as well. This COULD affect sorting but don't have enough info about XBMC internal flows regards to national support.

What happens when you run this in terminal?
Code:
echo -e "e\nE\nx\nÉconomiseur d'écran\n" | sort
I get this one with en_US.UTF-8 locale
Code:
e
E
Économiseur d'écran
x

what is correct (in general). this is "ls -la" sorting in shell:
Code:
drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root     0 Sep 29 14:26 e
drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root     0 Sep 29 14:27 E
drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root     0 Sep 29 14:27 é
drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root     0 Sep 29 14:27 É
drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root     0 Sep 29 14:27 x

what is not correct for SVK even with LANG=sk_SK.UTF-8 - it is the UTF I suppose, ISO-8859-2 doesn't solve 100% either, but better.
Code:
drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root     0 sep 29 14:27 é
drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root     0 sep 29 14:26 e
drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root     0 Sep 29 14:27 É
drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root     0 sep 29 14:27 E
drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root     0 sep 29 14:27 x

XBMC in ENG language menus, the same as you. but looks fine with SVK language menu selection. CHARACTER SET doesn't change anything.

I never paid much attention to it so can't tell whether this is change to previous XBMC / or other parts of system.

(29th Sep, 2013 05:49 PM)Airwolfuk Wrote:  connection pages. I can only setup wifi using ssh Xbian Config and even then that has issues as previously reported. Once my wifi is setup it runs pretty good. With external power I get HD streaming over http most of the time.

what is your xbian-package-config-xbmc and -shell version ? can you start xbian-config XBMC and post few (10-15 lines) of python errors? does "/home/xbian/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/plugin.xbianconfig" directory exists with those files?
"advancedmode confirmationonchange lastupdatecheck notifyonerror notifyonsuccess"

btw: I aligned the ssh result codes so if you update (at least) xbian-package-config-shell it should not be reverted anymore.

RE: beta2 - Smultie - 29th Sep, 2013 11:08 PM

Mk01, would it be possible to keep the GUI resolution between the updates? After every update that requires a reboot the GUI resolution changes from the previous set 1080p to 720p which f*cks up the interface of course.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 29th Sep, 2013 11:42 PM

@Smultie

xbian-update is only package touching advancedconfig.xml and yes we can take it out. definitely for testing period, maybe Curly or Koen will tell us why it was introduced (I'm sure it had a reason before).

anyhow how it messes up the interface for you? it is resolution for internal rendering only which is then kept or upscaled to FullHD (depending on actual resolution set on boot). I use it as well as otherwise the texts are clearly blurred otherwise but the other way around for people using 720p the internal 1080p means 2.25times more points to render on GUI which are immediately lost on output.

is it changing layout of the screen for you? maybe I don't see anything because of using AMBER which internally runs at 1080?