Forum
beta2 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: beta2 (/thread-1312.html)

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 1st Oct, 2013 07:41 AM

(1st Oct, 2013 07:33 AM)wind-rider Wrote:  I tried this after performing the previous steps, but when I did this as user "xbian" I couldn't move all files because rsync complained a lot about 'permission denied (13)'

when I performed 'sudo rsync -avx --progress --delete / /mnt/nfs_root' I got a lot of errors like 'rsync: chown "/mnt/nfs-root/etc/fonts/" failed: Invalid argument (22)'

of course you need to be sudo. I always forget to write it because I as I log i put "sudo -i" automatically (getting root shell).

the error you get points to not properly set export. I was somehow expecting that - I have not read a forum with proprietary NAS involved in the process telling all was fine. Hopefully yours is able to provide all the NFS server requirements.

this how my record looks with std linux and for NFS2/3
Code:
/exportnfs/nfs_root    192.168.1.0/24(rw,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)

the point is nothing gets squashed (no owner ID will be changed, not even if 0 = root) and of course you needs to be root on client and the export can't be insecure I have the feeling. On insecure no_root_squash will work on some implementations (ID=0 won't get transmitted).

Re: beta2 - f1vefour - 1st Oct, 2013 09:59 AM

Great work mk01, I was just having update withdrawals Tongue

The only issue I currently have is lirc seems to be repeating every command twice. Could you tell me how to revert to the version in beta 1.1 so I can diagnose the issue further?

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 1st Oct, 2013 10:10 AM

(1st Oct, 2013 09:59 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  Great work mk01, I was just having update withdrawals Tongue

The only issue I currently have is lirc seems to be repeating every command twice. Could you tell me how to revert to the version in beta 1.1 so I can diagnose the issue further?

I put set -x to the script what is actually putting each command on the screen as well.

Please try for me keeping set -x on top of /etc/init/lirc.conf but then on line 96 put set +x = it should make the above and below content look like this:
Code:
ln -fs ../var/run/lirc/lircd /dev/lircd
set +x
if [ "$START_LIRCD" = "true" ]; then

is it a solution ?

RE: beta2 - darrylb - 1st Oct, 2013 11:59 AM

At this time, it seems to be working. I havnt had long to test tonight, but I had it playing smooth jazz all night with the tv off. When I woke up audio/wireless was still playing/connected. Things seem to be good. Ill keep you updated over the next few days.

(30th Sep, 2013 03:23 PM)mk01 Wrote:  
(30th Sep, 2013 02:00 PM)darrylb Wrote:  Well, looks like that fixed it... I ran those commands and joined it to my wireless network without any effort. Ill let you know how the reliability of the connection is over the next few days. I have my router auto-restart nightly, so will be curious to see if it recovers from that.

found some comments about issues with dropouts with changing signal quality, but it was older driver without power output control.

everything can be different with you.

so I will put the patch into XBian kernel patch collection as needed and working, yes?

Re: RE: beta2 - f1vefour - 1st Oct, 2013 12:21 PM

(1st Oct, 2013 10:10 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(1st Oct, 2013 09:59 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  Great work mk01, I was just having update withdrawals Tongue

I put set -x to the script what is actually putting each command on the screen as well.

Please try for me keeping set -x on top of /etc/init/lirc.conf but then on line 96 put set +x = it should make the above and below content look like this:
Code:
ln -fs ../var/run/lirc/lircd /dev/lircd
set +x
if [ "$START_LIRCD" = "true" ]; then

is it a solution ?

Not working. It appears to only be the direction keys and they aren't repeating they are just moving two places with a single button press. I verified with irw they aren't actually repeating. Any ideas?

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 1st Oct, 2013 09:48 PM

ok, so i don't get debugging of the script. remove the set -x. I'm going to take it out from .deb package.

RE: beta2 - namtih - 2nd Oct, 2013 03:37 AM

Is it also available for us in the future? Any plans, even it's still beta?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4986
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174485

Perhaps important if we want to stay with Frodo first:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174485&pid=1516260#pid1516260
"Testing will be on Gotham. I'll backport to Frodo afterwards."

Oh, and nice reading:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174485&pid=1516102#pid1516102
"...is a bleeding edge build..."
I think I've read this already somewhere else Wink

RE: beta2 - belese - 2nd Oct, 2013 03:46 AM

Hi Mk,
i've some few question, to no disturb this thread,
i've done a share doc with them :-)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JDpW4Fg1fgueKALHylcdNe_lnpJhJ2Miw4JsLR_Tq-0/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks

Belese

RE: beta2 - Dave400 - 2nd Oct, 2013 06:02 AM

(18th Sep, 2013 08:26 AM)mk01 Wrote:  keep rc-keymaps as it is, disable lirc via xbian-config and try reboot.
no change when I did this..

(18th Sep, 2013 08:26 AM)mk01 Wrote:  second option is to comment out line "* rc-rc6-mce /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce" in /etc/rc_maps.conf and let lirc start.
Either I'm being a muppet or something but when I do (having already done ;sudo su' and entered password)
nano /etc/rc_maps.conf or the same with tail I get either a new file in nano or tail reports no such file...

Am I being a numpty or is rc_maps.conf missing?

ps, yes it's been a little while since you posted, I don't always get time to play!!!

RE: beta2 - wind-rider - 2nd Oct, 2013 06:33 AM

(1st Oct, 2013 07:41 AM)mk01 Wrote:  the error you get points to not properly set export. I was somehow expecting that - I have not read a forum with proprietary NAS involved in the process telling all was fine. Hopefully yours is able to provide all the NFS server requirements.

I upgraded to Beta2 but unfortunately I still have permissions problems with my NAS (I tried different settings but I can only do it through a web GUI which was badly translated from Korean. I recommend anybody to NEVER buy a NAS from LG). So unfortunately I can't test moving the root to NFS now..

Still I think being able to move the root to NFS is a valuable functionality to have for other people as well, so thank you for taking effort of explaining it.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 2nd Oct, 2013 06:48 AM

(2nd Oct, 2013 06:02 AM)Dave400 Wrote:  
(18th Sep, 2013 08:26 AM)mk01 Wrote:  second option is to comment out line "* rc-rc6-mce /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce" in /etc/rc_maps.conf and let lirc start.
Either I'm being a muppet or something but when I do (having already done ;sudo su' and entered password)
nano /etc/rc_maps.conf or the same with tail I get either a new file in nano or tail reports no such file...

ir-keytable package. I was thinking I put it already as dependency to xbian-update but it seems not.

try it to install
(apt-get install ir-keytable)

(2nd Oct, 2013 06:33 AM)wind-rider Wrote:  Still I think being able to move the root to NFS is a valuable functionality to have for other people as well, so thank you for taking effort of explaining it.

not just explaining, as you was trying I moved one RPI to nfsroot again and works.

even autoupdate at 8am went ok, only seen in log xbian-update writes two errors on screen about not being able to mount device with root partition - it is testing the sub volumes on btrfs partition - what of course throws error but it is just cosmetic. will fix it later as it seems it not priority for now.

but still the update will finish with success and reboot is fine as well.

btw: I'm sorry for your NAS Sad , but have heard many of those stories before. Maybe it will be possible to hack - edit the options in firmware files etc? As I have seen this is sometimes possible ?

RE: beta2 - Dave400 - 2nd Oct, 2013 07:21 AM

(2nd Oct, 2013 06:48 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(2nd Oct, 2013 06:02 AM)Dave400 Wrote:  

ir-keytable package. I was thinking I put it already as dependency to xbian-update but it seems not.

try it to install

Installed, rebooted, same error..

I've also noticed that although the timezone is set correctly, it's 5 hours behind!

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 2nd Oct, 2013 07:27 AM

(2nd Oct, 2013 03:37 AM)namtih Wrote:  Is it also available for us in the future? Any plans, even it's still beta?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4986
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174485

Perhaps important if we want to stay with Frodo first:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174485&pid=1516260#pid1516260
"Testing will be on Gotham. I'll backport to Frodo afterwards."

ok so this is how propaganda works. but you brutus? Big Grin

I'm never happy when asked to comment such stories / informations but - I don't see any difference there to my setup. I'm using the "recently added" on home as well. Days/Weeks ago I was commenting the slowness of confluence with larger Library, maybe you remember. I was also asking whether it is just my local problem or it "standard" - as I have never used Confluence before. Got ZERO answers. Confluence is fastest skin - if started on clean XBMC. Then it goes only worse. What is that video? Surprise, again AMBER. The one I was confluence comparing with.

I'm definitely sure if popcorn says there are optimizations then they are there. On the other hand I remember optimizations in OMXplayer which made movies with DTS-ES unplayable for months. And DTS very broke.

You are not the first one, who is asking me this today. If there needs to be a PR with message "wheel really works. and look - it is wheeling" - so be it.

And to answer your question about availability. There is no reason not to merge commits from upstream. So yes, as it appears on nightly / master it will of course appear in XBian. Sooner during popcorns internal beta testing? Better not.

We can still do it on request, one patch more will not delay the auto daily building process but I have not seen there reason to put 1h into this.

And will also just provide info about Gotham status. If you list few pages back this thread or the previous (but still beta2) and you will look for XBMC issues - ALL of them are from period where I pushed Gotham to Beta2 repo. Gotham was also quite slower than Frodo with back ports at that point - but I don't remember if it was compiled with full debugging (the MACOSX versions at ALPHA stages are for sure).

mk

(2nd Oct, 2013 07:21 AM)Dave400 Wrote:  I've also noticed that although the timezone is set correctly, it's 5 hours behind!

where. system / xbmc ? what "date" command is showing? where you see 5hours behind?

RE: beta2 - Dave400 - 2nd Oct, 2013 07:31 AM

(2nd Oct, 2013 07:27 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(2nd Oct, 2013 07:21 AM)Dave400 Wrote:  I've also noticed that although the timezone is set correctly, it's 5 hours behind!

where. system / xbmc ? what "date" command is showing? where you see 5hours behind?

within xbmc, top right corner

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 2nd Oct, 2013 07:39 AM

(2nd Oct, 2013 07:21 AM)Dave400 Wrote:  ir-keytable package. I was thinking I put it already as dependency to xbian-update but it seems not.

try it to install

Installed, rebooted, same error..
[/quote]

Dave, so you are telling me that you are missing file which is part of package you just installed ? Ok, I will believe you.

can you post
Code:
dpkg -L ir-keytable

you can get the file if you download the .deb with "apt-get download ir-eytable" and unpacking it with "dpkg -x ir-keytable ….. " but if other files are missing then it maybe won't work but we won't know why.

the package is installing much maps into udev dir and rule files for udevd as well so missing default conf file would be least problem.

you can always do "apt-get install —reinstall ir-keytable" and check again.

btw: if you (by accident) deleted the file it won't get back even with reinstall. you have to check against .deb file content and copy from it. There is a command to dpkg to restore/reinstall conf files missing (lost or deleted) but I don't remember it (man dpkg will do). dpkg -x is faster in that case, the package is small.

(2nd Oct, 2013 07:31 AM)Dave400 Wrote:  within xbmc, top right corner

what is TZ of XBMC ? tzconfig / tzselect will not selects it's TZ. xbian-config in beta2 will change XBMC TZ as well when changing system TZ. But you have to go and set, it is not trying to sync the setting automatically or so. Gotham is finally taking TZ from system settings.