Forum
beta2 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: beta2 (/thread-1312.html)

RE: beta2 - darrylb - 2nd Oct, 2013 10:50 AM

mk01 : Ok, so the network dropped out after about 16hrs streaming music. Upon investgating and going into the Summary/Network information, the Summary shows: Busy, and the Network tab shows Link: Not Connected. A restart fixed the issue. This is considerably more stable than my previous 1.0a5, but still dropped out.

(1st Oct, 2013 11:59 AM)darrylb Wrote:  At this time, it seems to be working. I havnt had long to test tonight, but I had it playing smooth jazz all night with the tv off. When I woke up audio/wireless was still playing/connected. Things seem to be good. Ill keep you updated over the next few days.

(30th Sep, 2013 03:23 PM)mk01 Wrote:  
(30th Sep, 2013 02:00 PM)darrylb Wrote:  Well, looks like that fixed it... I ran those commands and joined it to my wireless network without any effort. Ill let you know how the reliability of the connection is over the next few days. I have my router auto-restart nightly, so will be curious to see if it recovers from that.

found some comments about issues with dropouts with changing signal quality, but it was older driver without power output control.

everything can be different with you.

so I will put the patch into XBian kernel patch collection as needed and working, yes?

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 2nd Oct, 2013 11:15 AM

darrylb,

thanks for posting back. maybe this will be as the report I have seen and simply you will have to accept the fact - being not super branded expensive chip running issue free, but it is worth trying:

beta2 is disabling ifplugd as it looks there is more problems with it as benefits (specially with wifi). but let's try to reenable it for hot plug net interfaces (wlan0). we will see whether the wifi is at frozen state or just disconnected and wpa_supplicant didn't reconnect.

you can do this with
Code:
dpkg —reconfigure ifplugd
insserv -f ifplugd
reboot

after reboot you will see ifplugd process with wlan0 in command line (ps ax). this should watch the connection and reconnect if link down, cable out (for wired interfaces), whatever. tell me then.

thanks!

RE: beta2 - brantje - 2nd Oct, 2013 12:32 PM

@mk01 just installed beta 2, is fast as lighting after 10-20 mins.
After the install the system was slow why is that?

RE: beta2 - mpnico - 2nd Oct, 2013 06:47 PM

@mk01 : apt-get update; apt-get -s upgrade shows no "kept back" (0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded) but when installing xbian-package-config-shell, I had several new packages installed (xbian-package-config-shell xbian-package-upstart-xbmc-bridge xbian-package-zram-swap xbian-update xbian-package-upstart-xbmc-bridge xbian-package-zram-swap xbian-update)

I also installed the new firmware for test, i will report back tonight or so. My main problem with beta 2 is still audio drop with DTS passthrough on some movies.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 2nd Oct, 2013 07:45 PM

(2nd Oct, 2013 12:32 PM)brantje Wrote:  @mk01 just installed beta 2, is fast as lighting after 10-20 mins.
After the install the system was slow why is that?

reason is mostly btrfs. looks like it is still doing some cleanup or other maintenance after big changes in filesystem. also there is autodefrag turned on for it, so can be defragmenting the new mess caused by installing many packages.

maybe even trying to re-compress newly stored data.

this looks to be a change in 3.10.y kernels.

(2nd Oct, 2013 06:47 PM)mpnico Wrote:  I also installed the new firmware for test, i will report back tonight or so. My main problem with beta 2 is still audio drop with DTS passthrough on some movies.

@mpnico,

yes I remember this from few pages back. we have to find out why as this definitely this _must_not_happen_ as the RPI is capable to handle FullHD movie playback (x264) even with software downmix of DTS with an ease.

(and this is not thanks to myself or others working on project, this is thanks to the real guys hacking OMX like popcornmix and others doing firmware, kernel and XBMC patching etc. code base changed a lot in past weeks/months).

btw: what is yours AVR?

I'm just attaching list of package - version which should be installed (version is actual to today, but can be higher later) with beta2. it can be reviewed on your systems with
Code:
dpkg-query -W "xbian*"

if your system does not meet this, "apt-get install --reinstall xbian-update" should do that, or just "apt-get install [package_name]" should be fine as well. for info causing this look at my post few posts back. this is one-shot manual fix and should not happen anymore in future. if still apt complains there is no new version or no new version will be installed, try "apt-get update" before - but apt-get update is scheduled by default settings to run daily (if you didn't set otherwise in XBIAN settings) - so this would mean some kind of broken settings.

here is the list of packages from my system running auto updates (with latest installed earlier this morning at 8AM (GMT+2).

Code:
xbian-package-cec    1.1-0.3
xbian-package-config-shell    2.1.6-26
xbian-package-config-xbmc    1.1.3-11
xbian-package-firmware    1.4-6
xbian-package-initramfs-tools    1.3.1-1
xbian-package-kernel    1.3-5.5
xbian-package-libshairport    1.0-1
xbian-package-libtag    1.0-2
xbian-package-lirc    1.4-8.4
xbian-package-samba    2.0.0-3
xbian-package-splash    1.0-1.1
xbian-package-upstart-xbmc-bridge    1.1.0-2
xbian-package-usbmount    1.0.4-6
xbian-package-vnc-server    1.0.0-3
xbian-package-xbmc    2.9-10.12
xbian-package-xbmc-scripts    1.0.1-3
xbian-package-zram-swap    1.0-4.3
xbian-update    1.0.2-3

RE: beta2 - IriDium - 2nd Oct, 2013 11:47 PM

SSH - Xbian-config. Creating an IMG file from Xbian system copy tool.

Becaue you have to prefix "file:" - this only gives you 15 characters for the destination and filename.

so File:/home/xbian/ is not possible as you only have 3 character left for the filename and this includes the .img.

It needs to be a lot longer, especially if you intend to write to an external disk.

Also if you make a mistake say file:/home/xbian and accidently hit return - it errors but then hangs. <cntl> C does nothing, so you have to kill the terminal session.

RE: beta2 - Dave400 - 3rd Oct, 2013 04:32 AM

(2nd Oct, 2013 09:36 AM)mk01 Wrote:  ah, kept back packages. when you do apt-get install xbian-package-config-shell, you get version which fixes the problem not providing kept back packages for further updates.

then you can just update with xbian-config (shell or XBMC) and all will be fine for future, but the new config-shell is essential to this.
all 4 held back packages have now installed..

(2nd Oct, 2013 09:36 AM)mk01 Wrote:  yes, i see that. this could be because the mceusb module is creating different device and this is not fetched correctly from dmesg and probably code inside /etc/lirc/hardware.conf.

I was going through your posts (even in other threads) but could not find actual "dmesg". "lsmod" i found, but please send your dmesg. I will hack this to my system and will debug the process with "simulating" your environment.

Thought I had but if not I've rerun it to dmesg

Oh, may have resolved the time issue, seems that although it was set correctly in xbian-config, xbmc had defaulted back to an american time zone, reset and it seems to be sticking for now... sorry!!

the firmware update, do you want me to give it a whirl or wait till you've incorporated my dmesg to your install?

RE: beta2 - Smultie - 3rd Oct, 2013 06:20 AM

(2nd Oct, 2013 07:45 PM)mk01 Wrote:  
Code:
dpkg-query -W "$Name $Version" xbian*

My install just says:

Quote:dpkg-query: no packages found matching
dpkg-query: no packages found matching xbian-config-update.log
dpkg-query: no packages found matching xbian-initramfs-update.log

Anything wrong with my install?

RE: beta2 - mpnico - 3rd Oct, 2013 06:20 AM

@mk01 I manualy run apt-get install on every package to be sure, i had 2 update on vnc-server & xbian-package-config-xbmc (the dpkg-query is not working for me). Btw my AVR is a Denon AVR-X1000. I didn't make any test with lastest firmware for now, wife is using TV Wink Without passthrough, DTS is working fine when decoded by the RPi. With passthrough is also very rare and not easy to reproduce (maybe it happens 10 or 15 times in a full movie). I keep you updated as soon as possible.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 3rd Oct, 2013 06:33 AM

(2nd Oct, 2013 11:47 PM)IriDium Wrote:  SSH - Xbian-config. Creating an IMG file from Xbian system copy tool.

Becaue you have to prefix "file:" - this only gives you 15 characters for the destination and filename.

will fix the issues.

(3rd Oct, 2013 06:20 AM)mpnico Wrote:  @mk01 I manualy run apt-get install on every package to be sure, i had 2 update on vnc-server & xbian-package-config-xbmc (the dpkg-query is not working for me). Btw my AVR is a Denon AVR-X1000. I didn't make any test with lastest firmware for now, wife is using TV Wink Without passthrough, DTS is working fine when decoded by the RPi. With passthrough is also very rare and not easy to reproduce (maybe it happens 10 or 15 times in a full movie). I keep you updated as soon as possible.

yes, women. I had to buy second RPI because of this. the shutter will definitely be an issue of combination OMXPlayer + your Denon then as system wise playing the movie with passthrough is easier step for RPI as doing software downmix. The downmix can with no problems eat 20-30% out of RPI cpu power. Did you try google with search patterns like "denon+raspberry" or "denon+omxplayer" etc? maybe even raspbmc forum?

i can do that, but will not have time before the weekend. anyhow keep us in the loop. thanks!

(3rd Oct, 2013 06:20 AM)Smultie Wrote:  
Code:
dpkg-query: no packages found matching xbian-initramfs-update.log

Anything wrong with my install?

ah not, it isn't, just now as looking at the command I sent there are missing quotations for xbian* as otherwise shell will expand "*" for all xbian* file in the current folder.

so check with
Code:
dpkg-query -W  "xbian*"

RE: beta2 - xraxor - 3rd Oct, 2013 07:15 AM

I have one package being "kept back" see below. Done apt-get update; apt-get -s upgrade and installed xbian-package-config-shell

The following packages have been kept back:
xbian-update
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 3rd Oct, 2013 07:17 AM

(3rd Oct, 2013 04:32 AM)Dave400 Wrote:  the firmware update, do you want me to give it a whirl or wait till you've incorporated my dmesg to your install?

the firmware will in any case not influence remote control thing. anyhow new firmware must be tested anyhow before putting into repo so if can install it and report later if there are no issues with it would be appreciated.

I checked the dmesg, thanks for it.

Can you remove "lirc_rpi" from /etc/modules, reboot and report? And even send output of "ps ax | grep lirc"?

thanks

(3rd Oct, 2013 07:15 AM)xraxor Wrote:  I have one package being "kept back" see below. Done apt-get update; apt-get -s upgrade and installed xbian-package-config-shell

The following packages have been kept back:
xbian-update

yes, that is ok as apt-get will always keep this "functionality" to keep packages back from upgrade if dependencies would be changed with upgrade (this is to prevent uncontroled installation of new packages or removing packages). but now if you go into xbian-config -> updates, xbian-update should be properly listed between list of available packages to upgrade.

before that fix, all such packages (kept back in apt-get upgrade list) were always missing from the list so never upgraded by updating xbian through xbian-config (ssh/xbmc) or autoupdates.

RE: beta2 - Dave400 - 3rd Oct, 2013 07:37 AM

(3rd Oct, 2013 07:17 AM)mk01 Wrote:  the firmware will in any case not influence remote control thing. anyhow new firmware must be tested anyhow before putting into repo so if can install it and report later if there are no issues with it would be appreciated.

I checked the dmesg, thanks for it.

Can you remove "lirc_rpi" from /etc/modules, reboot and report? And even send output of "ps ax | grep lirc"?
firmware installed.. will report if I come across anything..

Have removed lirc_rpi from /etc/modules, no change..

Code:
root@xbian:/home/xbian# ps ax | grep lirc
  503 ?        RNsl   1:16 /usr/local/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd
  801 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/local/sbin/lircd --driver=default
1916 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep lirc

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 3rd Oct, 2013 07:47 AM

(3rd Oct, 2013 07:37 AM)Dave400 Wrote:  
Code:
root@xbian:/home/xbian# ps ax | grep lirc
  503 ?        RNsl   1:16 /usr/local/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd
  801 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/local/sbin/lircd --driver=default
1916 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep lirc

that's weird. I got this when I removed lines with lirc_rpi from your dmesg.

/usr/local/sbin/lircd --driver=devinput --device=/dev/lirc0

can you please post dmesg again now (with remove lirc_rpi), i will run it again with the REAL dmesg output. I know it is boring, but can't test now otherwise.

I ordered MCE compatible remote with usb receiver, but will not arrive sooner than on Friday.

RE: beta2 - Dave400 - 3rd Oct, 2013 07:57 AM

(3rd Oct, 2013 07:47 AM)mk01 Wrote:  can you please post dmesg again now (with remove lirc_rpi), i will run it again with the REAL dmesg output. I know it is boring, but can't test now otherwise.

Code:
http://pastebin.com/4HYhxkwe