Forum
beta2 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: beta2 (/thread-1312.html)

RE: beta2 - belese - 4th Oct, 2013 03:35 AM

I've just push on git small improvement (i hope) about loading xbian-config in xbmc.
but i've no screen and use vnc to debug, and it takes quite processor when screen changed,
can some could try on a real screen if it's better or worst than before (not only progress bar, but load time also).
Terminal

git clone https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian-package-config-xbmc.git
cd xbian-package-config-xbmc
./gen.package.sh
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
thanks.

Added term tags

RE: beta2 - Dave400 - 4th Oct, 2013 03:58 AM

Big thanks to @mk01 who after a bit of debug time in a remote session to my xbian install resolved the mce remote issues i've been having since beta1, and also found a few other bugs when beta 1.2 is running off a sdtv with no hdmi..

RE: beta2 - brantje - 4th Oct, 2013 04:03 AM

@belese
Terminal

xbian@xbian ~/tmp $ git clone https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian-package-config-xbmc.git
Cloning into 'xbian-package-config-xbmc'...
remote: Counting objects: 1164, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (533/533), done.
remote: Total 1164 (delta 537), reused 1043 (delta 470)
Receiving objects: 100% (1164/1164), 500.93 KiB | 214 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (537/537), done.
xbian@xbian ~/tmp $ cd xbian-package-config-xbmc
xbian@xbian ~/tmp/xbian-package-config-xbmc $ ./gen.package.sh
./gen.package.sh: 19: ./gen.package.sh: fakeroot: not found

Re: RE: beta2 - f1vefour - 4th Oct, 2013 04:09 AM

(4th Oct, 2013 03:58 AM)Dave400 Wrote:  Big thanks to @mk01 who after a bit of debug time in a remote session to my xbian install resolved the mce remote issues i've been having since beta1, and also found a few other bugs when beta 1.2 is running off a sdtv with no hdmi..

I run 1.2 on an SDTV without issue, what have you found?

(4th Oct, 2013 04:03 AM)brantje Wrote:  fakeroot: not found
[/term]

sudo apt-get install fakeroot

RE: beta2 - Dave400 - 4th Oct, 2013 04:23 AM

(4th Oct, 2013 04:09 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  I run 1.2 on an SDTV without issue, what have you found?

sudo apt-get install fakeroot
[/quote]

Cec scripts that don't fail or complete and something with the language setting where it loads As en, then trys to defaults to en_de

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 4th Oct, 2013 05:01 AM

(4th Oct, 2013 03:58 AM)Dave400 Wrote:  Big thanks to @mk01 who after a bit of debug time in a remote session to my xbian install resolved the mce remote issues i've been having since beta1, and also found a few other bugs when beta 1.2 is running off a sdtv with no hdmi..

@Dave400

thanks for confirming this. So I can release new version of xbian-package-lirc and put on repo?

@f1vefour

the sdtv is bit weird, normally when you send command to cec, you get answer or error (not all cec commands are like this but then you don't expect anything). and on Dave's RPI I realized that with using sdtv the cec wasn't sending response/error on at least one. of course when I was testing before release with disconnected hdmi, it was ok (error). I assume this is bug on libcec or rpi firmware.

anyhow this wasn't affecting the whole functionality of beta2 but could lead to reporting issues which I would not believe. so now I have to add additional checking for usage of sdtv (before I was just checking hdmi response or connected/disconnected).

and the language issue I found while debugging the latest XBMC in beta2. with debug log on i found notification that XBMC is loading English language xml file (what was correct) and below error setting locale de_DE or even en_DE. so either bug in XBMC or wrongly written english language file within XBMC. but I had no time to review this closer yet.

RE: beta2 - Dave400 - 4th Oct, 2013 05:14 AM

(4th Oct, 2013 05:01 AM)mk01 Wrote:  

@Dave400

thanks for confirming this. So I can release new version of xbian-package-lirc and put on repo?

yes i think it's good to go for a new version of xbian-package-lirc

Re: beta2 - f1vefour - 4th Oct, 2013 05:22 AM

@mk01

Thanks for the explanation. I am still having the double space lirc issue, where the arrow keys move instantly two times.

Example: Say I'm on the home screen Weather option, I press right and it doesn't move to Pictures then Videos. It jumps directly to Videos bypassing Pictures all together. I am forced to used Yatse because the remote is unusable with this issue.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 4th Oct, 2013 05:24 AM

(3rd Oct, 2013 01:00 PM)darrylb Wrote:  --reconfigure is an invalid option...

It looks I'm getting some kind of brain illness over the time, anyhow
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure ifplugd

is the right one.

(3rd Oct, 2013 09:18 PM)namtih Wrote:  
Code:
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com/ wheezy/main xbian-package-xbmc armhf 2.9-10.12 [34.9 MB]
Err http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com/ wheezy/main xbian-package-xbmc-scripts armhf 1.0.1-3
  404  Not Found
Fetched 34.9 MB in 4min 54s (119 kB/s)
Failed to fetch http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com/pool/main/x/xbian-package-xbmc-scripts/xbian-package-xbmc-scripts_1.0.1-3_armhf.deb  404  Not Found
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

By the way:
Would it be helpful when we look for an cheap hosting option, so that you don't need to host it on your private server?
Something like this (1€/month)?: https://uberspace.de/

this is not question of hosting or reliability. this is simply caused by changed package between your apt-get update and apt-get install [package].

so your package inventory list holds xbian-package-xbmc-scripts_1.0.1-3_armhf.deb but on my system is xbian-package-xbmc-scripts_1.0.1-4_armhf.deb already. as it is clearly told in the error message "apt-get update" should solve this. And it will.

the fuse problem is because of kernel & modules are completely different version after your manual "restore" to a very old one shot recovery package.

apt-get install —reinstall is dangerous thing if local package cache exists. and it exists although xbian settings for apt are trying to keep it minimal as possible. apt-get install —reinstall should be used ONLY if you want to re-install package version you already have on the system. apt-get install in that case throws error "newest version already exists". even then is best to use "apt-get clean" (and apt-get update) before you go to —reinstall.

with the system as you have it now, feel free to boot even with the manually restored kernel and initramfs, then from console run "apt-get clean; apt-get update; apt-get install xbian-package-kernel". if you get error "same version is installed" go for apt-get install —reinstall. as we deleted local apt cache (apt-get clean), proper deb package will be downloaded from repo and kernel package reinstalled.

(3rd Oct, 2013 09:23 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  we do have a webhosting but @mk01 want to keep all for himself Big Grin
No,serious... goid point so lets wait for him if he can move to our host

this is long been discussed with brantje, but I'm still waiting for ssh access. even when I get it, moving the repo will take a day which I don't have now.

of course once Beta2 is released all will be there automatically and whole development & release cycle of XBian will change - but this wasn't possible prior Beta2 (fix & update releases will not be dependent dependent and sometimes stuck by waiting for release of xbian-update with new version - that means shorter dev to market time).

still we plan to have second repo for nightly releases (as now is this one for Beta2) but always remember, this one test Beta2 repo was originally created with expectation of 10-20 people - reality is more than 200 distinct IPs per day.

(3rd Oct, 2013 10:32 PM)brantje Wrote:  
Quote:14:04:53 T:2772431936 NOTICE: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: true
14:04:53 T:2772431936 WARNING: COMXImage::Decode progressive images not supported by decoder
14:05:55 T:2772431936 NOTICE: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: true
14:07:28 T:2772431936 NOTICE: Previous line repeats 3 times.
14:07:28 T:2772431936 WARNING: COMXImage::Decode progressive images not supported by decoder

isn't this the clock screensaver problem you was reporting to me within personal message?

what you can do is logging to RPI as xbian, from xbian home dir start xbmc manually with
Code:
/usr/local/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone -fs

if the crash is related to system (missing library or something else) you will see the error once xbmc.bin crashes.
even if started the standard way through upstart script, such console error messages should be inside /var/log/upstart/xbmc.log

if you don't get anything, then I would assume it's bug within XBMC. let's see.

sorting problem as someone here reported must be "feature" of XBMC. probably changed with some back ports of gotham code into frodo. this is just assumption, I don't have anything to prove this. once I get any free hour again, I can try google (not before weekend).

(4th Oct, 2013 05:22 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  @mk01

Thanks for the explanation. I am still having the double space lirc issue, where the arrow keys move instantly two times.

when this problem started? I don't remember you reported it for early beta2, first time I suppose it was I added "set -x" into the lirc startup script. but then I removed it as you reported this.

(4th Oct, 2013 01:26 AM)IriDium Wrote:  xbian-config: Creating img file:

A check needs to be put in place to ensure the img file is on an external drive with enough space.

I foolishly (... and I won't be the only one) tried to create an image (of my 8G flash installation) on /home and the 7G image file crashed the RPi with out of memory. Big Grin

Is there any way to simply add it to say your SMB server without having to add it to fstab?

I'm aware that "btrfs-auto-snapshot xbiancopy" function doesn't have any kind of test for possible mistakes or free space. as it was meant originally just as copy function to other BLOCK device (and this is the only test present in the code). later I added the option to create fully bootable img file for reflash and awaited feedback before I clean up the code. This is still on my list.

Anyhow thanks for reports as always from you specially appreciated. And I really mean it Wink You know that.

Matus

Re: beta2 - f1vefour - 4th Oct, 2013 06:18 AM

@mk01

It has been doing it for about three weeks. I just fixed it by pulling the /etc/lirc directory from github and replacing the entire directory on the Pi.

RE: beta2 - syco - 4th Oct, 2013 07:41 AM

Nevermind, I have got it working, but I must say, it is unstable again like hell. After the update to beta 1.2 I started a movie and when I pressed stop on my remote (Yatse), it crashed somehow, because I did get a black screen and something like login xbian. Weird thing.

--

Another question: How do I do updates on beta 1.2? Not per Putty/SSH, I guess, but where/how else then?

RE: beta2 - brantje - 4th Oct, 2013 08:14 AM

(4th Oct, 2013 05:24 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(3rd Oct, 2013 10:32 PM)brantje Wrote:  
Quote:14:04:53 T:2772431936 NOTICE: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: true
14:04:53 T:2772431936 WARNING: COMXImage::Decode progressive images not supported by decoder
14:05:55 T:2772431936 NOTICE: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: true
14:07:28 T:2772431936 NOTICE: Previous line repeats 3 times.
14:07:28 T:2772431936 WARNING: COMXImage::Decode progressive images not supported by decoder

isn't this the clock screensaver problem you was reporting to me within personal message?

what you can do is logging to RPI as xbian, from xbian home dir start xbmc manually with
Code:
/usr/local/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone -fs

if the crash is related to system (missing library or something else) you will see the error once xbmc.bin crashes.
even if started the standard way through upstart script, such console error messages should be inside /var/log/upstart/xbmc.log

if you don't get anything, then I would assume it's bug within XBMC. let's see.
It seems to be random xbmc crashes, i don't see anything on the display.

RE: beta2 - namtih - 4th Oct, 2013 04:54 PM

(4th Oct, 2013 05:24 AM)mk01 Wrote:  with the system as you have it now, feel free to boot even with the manually restored kernel and initramfs, then from console run "apt-get clean; apt-get update; apt-get install xbian-package-kernel". if you get error "same version is installed" go for apt-get install —reinstall. as we deleted local apt cache (apt-get clean), proper deb package will be downloaded from repo and kernel package reinstalled.

But the problem persist, that I only get a black screen with the new kernel. Anything special with my usb installation? Any ideas? Installation shows no errors.
Otherwise I will stay with 3.10.10 first and will install a complete new image when I have more time and the final image is available.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 4th Oct, 2013 06:05 PM

(4th Oct, 2013 04:54 PM)namtih Wrote:  But the problem persist, that I only get a black screen with the new kernel. Anything special with my usb installation? Any ideas? Installation shows no errors.
Otherwise I will stay with 3.10.10 first and will install a complete new image when I have more time and the final image is available.

can you please remove "quiet" "loglevel=0" and "splash" from cmdline.txt and boot? you should get lot of info on the screen (assuming the problem is somewhere after kernel get's loaded).

can you also re-check the the root= is correct for you at the time of boot in cmdline.txt and that initramfs is not commented out in config.txt for your usb boot? i was doing minor updates because of the NFS booting and could happen I introduced a bug. in-between I will do a clone to usb and try the same.

@all

looks like the xbmc we updated ?two? days ago to is not quite stable as I found one of XBMCs crashed in the morning too. there was new version released and it is compiled, I will install it today to my RPIs for some basic tests without putting it to the repo yet.

if anyone would be interested, update manually with
Code:
sudo -i
cd /tmp
wget http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com/others/xbian-package-xbmc2.9-10.13.deb
dpkg -i xbian-package-xbmc2.9-10.13.deb
reload xbmc (or reboot)

RE: beta2 - namtih - 4th Oct, 2013 07:18 PM

No error messages, just black.
My log: http://pastebin.com/yh9yJe5z