Forum
beta2 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: beta2 (/thread-1312.html)

RE: beta2 - IriDium - 5th Oct, 2013 10:47 PM

(5th Oct, 2013 10:39 PM)rndl Wrote:  
(5th Oct, 2013 09:08 PM)IriDium Wrote:  @rndl When you ssh in, the motd should read XBian v1.0B2
2) Skipping works in beta 1.2
3) So too does poweroff

Yeah, but will triple-check, going to update everything again from 1.1. I didnt connected by SSH yet, but the xbian-config clearly says 1.1. Will come back to tell what happened.

Another question: How do I test different kernels? The packages section in the config seems broken, as when I try to install the latest kernel (which I guess it's already installed) it gives me an error. No other kernels are available there, btw.
a) when you do apt-get update: Check that the mirrors displayed contain ivka57.dyndns-ip.com
b) Save the output so you can post the output if needed.
c) At the end of the upgrade, the system should automatically reboot - so you may loose some of the output.
d) Usually to test different kernels you have to get that deb package and install it. However, for Beta 1.2 you should use the standard as installed package.

RE: beta2 - rndl - 5th Oct, 2013 11:24 PM

expletive deleted,

did it with SSH this time, but lost connection while updating. The Pi seems to be updating but I can't recover connection, nor see the update progress from the session at the Pi. Any way to see the update process? What should I do?

RE: beta2 - belese - 6th Oct, 2013 12:34 AM

>1) xbian-config – network wlan change/cancel not selectable
in xbmc or shell? i don't find my wifi adpater.

>5) Clear block in XBMC xbian-config when exiting.
>ERROR: ClearBlock: Trying to clear non existent block /home/xbian/.xbmc/addons/plugin.xbianconfig...

This is not a bug, it should be log as debug as explained on xbmc forum.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=145644&pid=1310964#pid1310964

RE: beta2 - CurlyMo - 6th Oct, 2013 01:00 AM

After reading some posts again, i've noticed that some people react in this topic as it already was an official release. My advice would be to make a clear distinction between people who are testers for whom this thread is for and the early adopters that should wait for the official release. Especially noticeable because some discussions only go about dependencies / how to update / etc for which this topic (i believe) is not meant.

RE: beta2 - IriDium - 6th Oct, 2013 01:18 AM

(6th Oct, 2013 12:34 AM)belese Wrote:  >1) xbian-config – network wlan change/cancel not selectable
in xbmc or shell? i don't find my wifi adpater.

>5) Clear block in XBMC xbian-config when exiting.
>ERROR: ClearBlock: Trying to clear non existent block /home/xbian/.xbmc/addons/plugin.xbianconfig...

This is not a bug, it should be log as debug as explained on xbmc forum.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=145644&pid=1310964#pid1310964
@belese
1) - ssh, mk01 reports it's fixed and it is.
5) - Ok, was only reported. Will disregard.

------------- New Thread -----------------
ssh xbian-config - Xbian system copier tool <change> and <cancel> not selectable.

As the upgrade reboots the RPi when it has finished, I would like to keep a log of what has happened.

Currently I run apt-get -y upgrade > xbian-upgrade.log and then from another window, to see what is happening, tail -f xbian-upgrade.log

Is there a simpler or more elegant solution?

(5th Oct, 2013 11:24 PM)rndl Wrote:  expletive deleted,

did it with SSH this time, but lost connection while updating. The Pi seems to be updating but I can't recover connection, nor see the update progress from the session at the Pi. Any way to see the update process? What should I do?
@rndl
What do mean this time? All the commands should be via ssh - you can't upgrade to beta 1.2 from within XBMC. Have you read page one of this thread?

If you've lost connection, then the update would also have lost connection.

Switch off: Get a cup of tea; Read the whole thread and then start again. If the RPi starts then shutdown xbmc and follow the commands exactly.

-------------------- New Thread ------------------
Strange error:

Ok, this is a bit weird. Only mentioning it, just in case it pops up again.

Went to Videos, selected a DVD folder, went to VIDEO_TS, selected VTS_01_1.VOB. Right clicked, “play with”, selected DVDPlayer.

File started playing but at 100% CPU. Stopped playing and went back to main menu. CPU stayed at 100%. Only way to stop it was to reboot.

Tried again, OMXplayer worked fine, but DVDPlayer did the same thing. 100% CPU and high I/O mainly writes, even when the RPi should have been at idle.

Rebooted and the problems have gone away – all works fine.

Is this option to use DVDPlayer a new feature as I haven’t seen it before.

RE: beta2 - rndl - 6th Oct, 2013 02:26 AM

Meant this time I was doing it remotely, previous I did it from TTY straight from the Pi itself and a keyboard connected to it. Trying again!

RE: beta2 - IriDium - 6th Oct, 2013 02:42 AM

(6th Oct, 2013 02:26 AM)rndl Wrote:  Meant this time I was doing it remotely, previous I did it from TTY straight from the Pi itself and a keyboard connected to it. Trying again!
Whilst you may think that Xbian members have superpowers, most do not - especially ESP (With the exception of @mk01 who does have superpowers Blush) you need to explain fully and clearly what you are doing.

All upgrades should be done physically - i.e at the RPi .

Re: RE: beta2 - f1vefour - 6th Oct, 2013 02:46 AM

IriDium Wrote:Strange error:

Ok, this is a bit weird. Only mentioning it, just in case it pops up again.

Went to Videos, selected a DVD folder, went to VIDEO_TS, selected VTS_01_1.VOB. Right clicked, “play with”, selected DVDPlayer.

File started playing but at 100% CPU. Stopped playing and went back to main menu. CPU stayed at 100%. Only way to stop it was to reboot.

Tried again, OMXplayer worked fine, but DVDPlayer did the same thing. 100% CPU and high I/O mainly writes, even when the RPi should have been at idle.

Rebooted and the problems have gone away – all works fine.

Is this option to use DVDPlayer a new feature as I haven’t seen it before.

DVDPlayer AFAIK is only a "shortcut" to omxplayer on the Pi so this behavior is strange.

RE: beta2 - rndl - 6th Oct, 2013 02:53 AM

Update failed again. Pi seems to lose connection to the Internet after Get: 22 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main tdb-tools armhf 1.2.10-2 [25.9 kB].

After that only way to connect to the internet again is re-install 1.1 with the installer.

Why is that happening? Sad

RE: beta2 - IriDium - 6th Oct, 2013 03:08 AM

(6th Oct, 2013 02:46 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  DVDPlayer AFAIK is only a "shortcut" to omxplayer on the Pi so this behavior is strange.
Ok, I'm not an expert they seemed to exibit different characteristics. FI OMX played without subtitles whereas DVDplayer did.
Also why did a right click give an option if they are the same thing?

Makes me wonder if @mk01 comments about USB DVD players has anything to do with it?

It's not a major problem as I doubt many people right click on a VTS file anyway.

RE: beta2 - rndl - 6th Oct, 2013 04:33 AM

Finally! I must say I'm impressed with the beta 2, guys. Everything seems to be fixed, although remote control via Android doesn't seem to work.

RE: beta2 - IriDium - 6th Oct, 2013 05:09 AM

@rndi Do you actually read any of the posts?

What does "remote control via Android doesn't seem to work" actually mean? What remote control - Yatse, XBMC remote or something other? and HOW does it not work.

If you continue to post nonsense posts I CERTAINLY will refuse to offer any more additional assistance.

RE: beta2 - rndl - 6th Oct, 2013 05:22 AM

(6th Oct, 2013 05:09 AM)IriDium Wrote:  @rndi Do you actually read any of the posts?

What does "remote control via Android doesn't seem to work" actually mean? What remote control - Yatse, XBMC remote or something other? and HOW does it not work.

If you continue to post nonsense posts I CERTAINLY will refuse to offer any more additional assistance.

Sorry! Smile I mean activating Settings -> Network -> Web Server and then Settings -> Network -> Remote Control with both "Allow programs from this system to remote control XBMC" and "Allow programs from other systems to remote control XBMC" doesn't seem to work. To connect I normally use the official XBMC client for Android (basically connects to the web server of XBMC). Is strange as with the previous release it worked out of the box.

RE: beta2 - rikardo1979 - 6th Oct, 2013 05:27 AM

(6th Oct, 2013 05:22 AM)rndl Wrote:  
(6th Oct, 2013 05:09 AM)IriDium Wrote:  @rndi Do you actually read any of the posts?

Sorry! Smile I mean activating Settings -> Network -> Web Server and then Settings -> Network -> Remote Control with both "Allow programs from this system to remote control XBMC" and "Allow programs from other systems to remote control XBMC" doesn't seem to work. To connect I normally use the official XBMC client for Android (basically connects to the web server of XBMC). Is strange as with the previous release it worked out of the box.
make sure you got all settings checked, make sure you have port 8080 in and not 80 as it sometimes happened.and also make sure that the IP address of your RPi is still same as in your remote control application

RE: beta2 - rikardo1979 - 6th Oct, 2013 05:33 AM

(6th Oct, 2013 01:00 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  After reading some posts again, i've noticed that some people react in this topic as it already was an official release. My advice would be to make a clear distinction between people who are testers for whom this thread is for and the early adopters that should wait for the official release. Especially noticeable because some discussions only go about dependencies / how to update / etc for which this topic (i believe) is not meant.

+1 on this, so lets wait for @mk01 to edit the OP post and the thread subject as I don't want to look nosy by editing threads of others Wink