Forum
beta2 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: beta2 (/thread-1312.html)

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 12th Oct, 2013 03:32 AM

(12th Oct, 2013 02:40 AM)thenork Wrote:  1) I will try when I get home. If I blacklist uinput, will i still be able to use a keyboard?
2) I have no read/write permissions from my mac logging on to xbian as either xbian or guest. Also from clicking the icon or from running "Connect to sever" and using smb://xbian.local.

@thenork

1) no, keyboard input won't be affected
2) I understand that. Just I'm asking, which one specific share. When you open xbian in Finder, you will see the share (which you mount later with going into it). by default there are system-logs, xbian, xbian-xbmc and xbmc-backup - then more can appear if usb storage media is mounted.

RE: beta2 - xraxor - 12th Oct, 2013 04:42 AM

just on another note, I also cant access xbian-backup. also when I have usb storage media mounted I cannot edit or deleted anything from it. I could before B1.2

RE: beta2 - CurlyMo - 12th Oct, 2013 05:55 AM

These threads already addressed the multiple key presses problem:
http://forum.xbian.org/thread-526.html
http://forum.xbian.org/thread-501.html

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 12th Oct, 2013 06:38 AM

(12th Oct, 2013 04:42 AM)xraxor Wrote:  just on another note, I also cant access xbian-backup. also when I have usb storage media mounted I cannot edit or deleted anything from it. I could before B1.2

there is setting at xbian config in xbmc if for ext usb media:
- sharing should be allowed (on by default)
- writing should be allowed as well (off by default)

if writing is allowed forced user is xbian.

RE: beta2 - xraxor - 12th Oct, 2013 07:12 AM

@mk01 thanks, but cant find xbian-config on xbmc, is not under programs and when on confluence it work start Sad

RE: beta2 - Smultie - 12th Oct, 2013 07:21 AM

(11th Oct, 2013 11:07 PM)mk01 Wrote:  
(9th Oct, 2013 04:02 AM)Smultie Wrote:  Well maybe, but all the other shares work perfectly okay.... that's a bit strange right?

I suppose this one needs "Connect As…" (xbian/raspberry).
I will change in next update round.

(11th Oct, 2013 03:22 AM)Smultie Wrote:  No one else whose Beta 2 install keeps getting slower and slower?

large number of snapshots can affect filesystem operations negatively, but LARGE means at least 20-30 snapshots per subvolume.

default is 3/daily/subvolume + 2/weekly/subvolume + max 10 for snapshots created before apt-get upgrade / install. you can change the max numbers in /etc/default/xbian-snap (ssh, @belese is currently implementing this into XBIAN CONFIG (XBMC).

you can check actual listing with
Code:
sudo btrfs-auto-snapshot list

or to count total number for all subvolumes

sudo btrfs-auto-snapshot list | grep -c .

you need to use ssh for this, I'm writing interface to XBIAN CONFIG (XBMC).

1) Xbmc-backup is accessible again
2) currently have 13 snapshots. Don't know how many I had in my old "slow" config since I reinstalled the whole thing yesterday. Any idea if ssh-ing in can cause slowness over time? Or using "sudo apt-get xxxxx" over and over again?

More general question. Do I even need to SSH in to get the latest packages, or will the auto-update feature take care of it as well?

RE: beta2 - thenork - 12th Oct, 2013 07:29 AM

(12th Oct, 2013 03:32 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(12th Oct, 2013 02:40 AM)thenork Wrote:  1) I will try when I get home. If I blacklist uinput, will i still be able to use a keyboard?
2) I have no read/write permissions from my mac logging on to xbian as either xbian or guest. Also from clicking the icon or from running "Connect to sever" and using smb://xbian.local.

@thenork

1) no, keyboard input won't be affected
2) I understand that. Just I'm asking, which one specific share. When you open xbian in Finder, you will see the share (which you mount later with going into it). by default there are system-logs, xbian, xbian-xbmc and xbmc-backup - then more can appear if usb storage media is mounted.

Right-- I was accessing my external ext4 formatted usb hard drive. I see the tip below about the external usb samba write setting, I will look for it, thanks.

RE: beta2 - thenork - 12th Oct, 2013 12:01 PM

@mk01, @CurlyMo

OK, setting "Remote control sends keyboard presses" to false did not help, but blacklisting uinput solved the problem. I notice now that in /etc/lirc/hardware/lirc_rpi.conf has "-u" as argument which turns on uinput and is also why when I run lircd with defaults it worked. I guess for most remotes with lirc_rpi you probably want uinput but it's just that mce remotes already are in lircmap.

I also checked the "Shares should be world writeable" for smb, but the problem is still there. I can actually connect to xbian home folder just fine, and it's writeable (didn't test that before). However for my usb drive, I can connect with xbian but not with guest. If I try with guest I get this in the mac console (xbian.local/Fantom is my usb drive):
10/11/13 9:30:14.978 PM NetAuthSysAgent[7653]: checkForDfsReferral: mounting dfs url failed, syserr = Input/output error
10/11/13 9:30:14.979 PM NetAuthSysAgent[7653]: smb_mount: mount failed to xbian.local/Fantom, syserr = Input/output error
10/11/13 9:30:14.000 PM kernel[0]: smb_ntstatus_error_to_errno: Couldn't map ntstatus (0xc0000225) to errno returning EIO

I dunno if that will help.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 12th Oct, 2013 12:48 PM

(12th Oct, 2013 07:21 AM)Smultie Wrote:  2) currently have 13 snapshots. Don't know how many I had in my old "slow" config since I reinstalled the whole thing yesterday. Any idea if ssh-ing in can cause slowness over time? Or using "sudo apt-get xxxxx" over and over again?

More general question. Do I even need to SSH in to get the latest packages, or will the auto-update feature take care of it as well?

sudo apt-get install/update can cause slowness (indirectly) by creating snapshots before apt-get. but the max 10 is not a number with significant effect. and pre- apt-get snapshots are created only for root fs. so really max 10 (this is not for each sub volume).

auto-update should be enough (assuming you have xbian-package-config-shell with the fix for kept back packages - I assume any version higher than 2.1.6-25).

(12th Oct, 2013 12:01 PM)thenork Wrote:  I also checked the "Shares should be world writeable" for smb, but the problem is still there. I can actually connect to xbian home folder just fine, and it's writeable (didn't test that before). However for my usb drive, I can connect with xbian but not with guest. If I try with guest I get this in the mac console (xbian.local/Fantom is my usb drive):

can you check that /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf has SHARERW=yes ? if yes, can you provide output of
Code:
sudo net conf list

when the usb is mounted? and if you connect with xbian, can you write?

@thenork

I found a small bug in usbmount, I will issue a fix. can you test xbian-package-usbmount version 1.0.4-7 please?

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 12th Oct, 2013 02:29 PM

(9th Oct, 2013 06:20 AM)Dave400 Wrote:  Bad news.. I installed the lirc update (along with 5 other packages) and now my remote is behaving how it was before, I've rolled back using a snapshot and will install the other updates again but leave out lirc for the time being...

@Dave400

is it possible that xbian-update put lirc_rpi into /etc/modules and by removing it you restore previous functionality?

while looking into /etc/lirc/hardware.conf, first RC which is looked up is lirc_rpi. all others are "else if" so won't never override the lirc RC found as first.

can you report back please?

RE: beta2 - namtih - 12th Oct, 2013 05:22 PM

After using the new version for about 3 weeks, all movies and Addons are playing fine. After disabling the screensaver, I also had no crashes with the last XBMC version.
But 2 problems remain:
1. I still get only a black screen with the new kernel. But mk01 is looking into it. It's also possible, that it's something special with my USB installation. So perhaps it's really a specific problem of my own installation.
2. Still the sort logic of lists. When I open Videos => Files all entries are sorted by the first character. But folders and files are mixed. Before the folders were always on top.
The same for the Addon list. The entry "more..." is now in the middle of the list and not at the end.
So it seems that the sort logic don't distinguish between entry types.
Do you have the same effect? It's a bit annoying, but I didn't change anything in XBMC.

I also found the cause of my problem, that XBMC only used about 1/3 of my display after the update. I've checked the advancedsettings.xml and had the new entry guisize=1080. It was set automatically after the update. I've removed it, was back at 720 and all was fine.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 12th Oct, 2013 06:51 PM

@namtih

2)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=175058

but I'm no lucky in finding such issue, or even closed, with commit and fix (I was looking at xbmc/master since Oct-1st).

1)
why you want to update only kernel? your beta2 is quite old (if you want keep it, just do a snapshot - update all packages - in the worst case do rollback (max 10s for it - just preserve your /boot as it is now)).
or update at least initramfs-tools as well with kernel-package. if get "BLACK" screen again, then you have only two options to try: "debug" parameter in /boot/cmdline.txt and last resort, while keeping debug, remove (or comment) initramfsgz in /boot/config.txt.

(btw: I did a boot with the files you sent to me into sda1, then updated / rebooted without issues. but the truth is your Beta2 install is very old - so this is not directly a proof of anything actually.)

get something on screen, then we can move forward. there is no way kernel won't at least beep a thing.

RE: beta2 - namtih - 12th Oct, 2013 07:35 PM

@1)
Why is my installation old? I think it's quite up-to-date:
But as I said, if you have no idea I will just install a complete new setup when the final img-file is released.

@2)
Thanks, good to hear that I'm not alone with this issue.
Let's see if Koenkk perhaps will find the fix/commit.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 12th Oct, 2013 08:13 PM

(12th Oct, 2013 07:35 PM)namtih Wrote:  @1)
Why is my installation old? I think it's quite up-to-date:
@2)
Thanks, good to hear that I'm not alone with this issue.
Let's see if Koenkk perhaps will find the fix/commit.

1) of course it is up to you how you update. but the xbian-update you are running on (this package contains whole upstart/sysvinit structure, core kernel settings, apt settings). if it still works with (almost) up-to-date other packages - +1 for me. but the other packages count on some settings / files which are provided only by xbian-update package. if you keep using your system plain as you are used to, maybe you won't hit any issues. but if you get some, this will be first to look for. that's why I started with changing the version number even on xbian-update. before we used to keep it the same for major release. but then we there was no option how to put this into dependencies of other packages.

looking at your kernel package, it is the latest one released - just going back to original discussion - that you wanted to get the latest but it failed to boot. so how you got it installed / running?

2) it is not only you, it is everybody. it only seems we are not using the plain Files Browse functionality. or not at the extend we noticed the change. but I can confirm it's like you said.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 13th Oct, 2013 02:37 AM

@all

we managed with Brantje syncing of my devel repo to his hosting. line to /etc/apt/sources.list is

Code:
deb http://xbian.brantje.com/devel wheezy main

if you willing to change, remove http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com and add this one. both can coexists, apt will deal with it, but if apt chooses my address, transfer speeds will be not faster.

sync happens always in-time with .deb updates. that means at any point in time this repo should be the same as http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com with the benefit of standard transfers speeds (comparing to mine 120kpbs max).