Forum
beta2 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: beta2 (/thread-1312.html)

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 16th Oct, 2013 11:22 PM

(16th Oct, 2013 07:06 PM)mpnico Wrote:  - if I stop XBMC through SSH with TV off, TV switches on (?!)

at least this is ok, … it is not bug but a "feature" or better say a leftover from past which I used to see a screen on XBMC quit (not having RC and lazy to walk to TV). i will put a config option to this and set to NO by default.

something to try:
edit /etc/init/xbmc-screensaver.conf, comment current "start on" stanza and put "manual" instead. this should have no effect if you have not turned on the TV OFF feature as then xbmc-screensaver is exited automatically (it means not used - the same as putting manual in it), but just to be sure there is no strange bug around.

I still have feeling from yesterday I was hitting this weird issue - and that it was something very very stupid, but unfortunately still can't remember.

one idea more to try to eliminate ANY scripts / control issues:
just log as xbian, do
Code:
cd
/usr/local/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd

and try switching TV off / on whatever. this will start xbmc in the simplest way possible so without any XBian "influence" and lets see.

RE: beta2 - mpnico - 17th Oct, 2013 12:10 AM

@mk01 : ok I'll try all of this tonight, thanks.

RE: beta2 - CurlyMo - 17th Oct, 2013 01:06 AM

(14th Oct, 2013 06:43 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Up to you. Do you want me to help ONLY pretest the new releases or want me gone all together? If you want me to stay, then stop being so arrogant by assuming that even people who have programming skills always understand everything other programmers do. This wasn't the first time.
Due to no answer from any of you i assume you want me to keep testing.

In the latest version of Lirc, starting lircd from upstart worked with my symlinked /etc/lirc folder. Starting irexec didn't.
Quote:+ echo Starting execution daemon: irexec
Starting execution daemon: irexec
+ exec=/usr/local/bin/irexec
+ execargs=-d /etc/lirc/lircrc
+ set -- -d /etc/lirc/lircrc
+ exit 0

When running the same command in the CLI, it works:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/irexec -d /etc/lirc/lircrc

RE: beta2 - IriDium - 17th Oct, 2013 04:57 AM

(16th Oct, 2013 07:38 AM)mk01 Wrote:  can you zip/gz whatever /boot and upload somewhere ?
Link sent via PM.
I've started with a new image - from the image file posted earlier - and my original boot USB drive was still connected. Looking at it, it is now named xbian-copy and contains only:
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 38 Sep 3 10:47 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 386 Oct 14 17:46 data
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 394 Oct 14 17:46 home
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 386 Oct 14 17:46 modules
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1198 Oct 15 20:17 root
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 52 Oct 16 20:18 ..

So no wonder it wouldn't boot. No idea what or when something went wrong.

I do have a backup but it's an old image and has been upgraded numerous times, so it might be best to just reinstall and start afresh. I'm just curious what might have caused it. I didn't notice anything unusual on the last upgrade.

RE: beta2 - danell - 17th Oct, 2013 05:30 AM

I'm getting an error in Sick Beard.

2013-10-16 21:10:02.613521 SEARCHQUEUE-RSS-SEARCH :: Fatal error executing query: You must not use 8-bit bytestrings unless you use a text_factory that can interpret 8-bit bytestrings (like text_factory = str). It is highly recommended that you instead just switch your application to Unicode strings.

Read short and it's something to do with python, couldn't find any solution on google but maybe you know the problem or if it's something with the python-package that has to be fixed

RE: beta2 - mpnico - 17th Oct, 2013 05:35 AM

(16th Oct, 2013 11:22 PM)mk01 Wrote:  
(16th Oct, 2013 07:06 PM)mpnico Wrote:  - if I stop XBMC through SSH with TV off, TV switches on (?!)

at least this is ok, … it is not bug but a "feature" or better say a leftover from past which I used to see a screen on XBMC quit (not having RC and lazy to walk to TV). i will put a config option to this and set to NO by default.

something to try:
edit /etc/init/xbmc-screensaver.conf, comment current "start on" stanza and put "manual" instead. this should have no effect if you have not turned on the TV OFF feature as then xbmc-screensaver is exited automatically (it means not used - the same as putting manual in it), but just to be sure there is no strange bug around.

I still have feeling from yesterday I was hitting this weird issue - and that it was something very very stupid, but unfortunately still can't remember.

one idea more to try to eliminate ANY scripts / control issues:
just log as xbian, do
Code:
cd
/usr/local/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd

and try switching TV off / on whatever. this will start xbmc in the simplest way possible so without any XBian "influence" and lets see.

I tried your suggestions with no luck Sad Maybe I should start again from fresh beta 1 and update to beta 2 just to see if the problem remains.

RE: beta2 - IriDium - 17th Oct, 2013 05:48 AM

@mpnico
Far better to grab the .img file mentioned around page 33, flash that and you are on a stable Beta 1.2 = albeit with Slovakian settings Tongue

Also have a look at System -> Input Devices -> CEC Devices and check there are no conflicting settings.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 17th Oct, 2013 08:45 AM

(17th Oct, 2013 04:57 AM)IriDium Wrote:  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 386 Oct 14 17:46 data
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 394 Oct 14 17:46 home
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 386 Oct 14 17:46 modules
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1198 Oct 15 20:17 root
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 52 Oct 16 20:18 ..

So no wonder it wouldn't boot. No idea what or when something went wrong.

this is fine as this are only sub volumes. when you open any of them, you will see at least @. and that's what gets mounted (rootflags=subvol=root/@ if you check cmdline.txt).

(17th Oct, 2013 05:35 AM)mpnico Wrote:  I tried your suggestions with no luck Sad Maybe I should start again from fresh beta 1 and update to beta 2 just to see if the problem remains.

just out of curiosity you can, but this won't help pinpoint the issue. in the past day only XBMC bins & libs were update + firmware.

you can grab this and try installing.
http://xbian.brantje.com/devel/rollback/xbian-package-firmware1.4-3.deb
http://xbian.brantje.com/devel/rollback/xbian-package-xbmc_2.9-10.10_armhf.deb

for clean install grab the img and flash. 10m of work.
http://xbian.brantje.com/devel/others/xbian.beta2.7z

RE: beta2 - mpnico - 17th Oct, 2013 05:44 PM

@mk01 : ok I will install the .deb tonight then I'll flash my sdcard if nothing change

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 17th Oct, 2013 07:55 PM

(17th Oct, 2013 05:30 AM)danell Wrote:  Read short and it's something to do with python, couldn't find any solution on google but maybe you know the problem or if it's something with the python-package that has to be fixed

quick google told me this is in most cases by using wrong function to access DB (trying to write special characters not in correct encoding).

yesterday I merget upstream repo to XBians SickBeard and published new package.

just please double check if APT will do a snapshot before upgrade (/etc/default/xbian-snap ENABLEDAPT=yes) to easily restore if something goes wrong.

mk

RE: beta2 - numanoids - 17th Oct, 2013 11:16 PM

ok so not having much luck upgrading from either Beta 1.0 or Beta 1.1 to 1.0 Beta 2 all from clean installations.

I'm still using the deb http://xbian.brantje.com/devel wheezy main repository but going from 1.0 results in the following error: (after carrying out the clean;update;upgrade steps first of course).

root@xbian:~# apt-get install xbian-update
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbian-update : Breaks: xbian-package-xbmc (< 2.9-10.9)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I'll retry Beta 1.1 again now from fresh to see what happens but not having a good experience thus far

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 18th Oct, 2013 01:18 AM

@numanoids this looks more to an inconsistency between package inventory and physical packages on the repo. But this is happening with Debian / Raspberian and others as well.

If you hit the update window - maintenance on the site, inventory lists could be already updated, but packages not yet uploaded.

In any case, if you do in that particular situation "apt-get install xbian-update xbian-package-xbmc" what happens? This should make apt satisfied as you request the "missing dependency" as well and repo contains version 2.9-10.13.

I'm testing all updates on clean Beta1 (no 1.1) as well, so I can redo the tests now.

RE: beta2 - numanoids - 18th Oct, 2013 01:40 AM

@mk01

I'm having another go myself now i've finished work. Got a couple of cards and Pi's to try with.

Will let you know how I get on.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 18th Oct, 2013 01:54 AM

(18th Oct, 2013 01:40 AM)numanoids Wrote:  @mk01

I'm having another go myself now i've finished work. Got a couple of cards and Pi's to try with.

It's running on my card now as well.

RE: beta2 - numanoids - 18th Oct, 2013 02:38 AM

Latest attempt at my end failed yet again

here's the ssh log, i've added a few lines before and after each command to indicate where I had ran things and the contents of sources.list is posted at the end.

http://pastebin.com/3Jbce01j