Forum
beta2 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: beta2 (/thread-1312.html)

RE: beta2 - belese - 27th Oct, 2013 05:44 AM

yes, i think i've found a problem if udpatedb need to be called. i believe mk01 had tell me that he din't use it anymore, butt seems it sometimes return this rc, and i have remove check. i've fixed it, have to push. if it's the problem, you can call xbian-config packages updatedb via ssh and it should start next run. otherwise, maybe i've miss a commit, will check

RE: beta2 - CurlyMo - 27th Oct, 2013 06:13 AM

Yes, that worked Smile

RE: beta2 - thedude459 - 28th Oct, 2013 12:08 AM

Just updated today and it broke my wireless. The edimax doesn't even light up at all. When I go to xbian config there is no choice for wlan0 anymore. I am assuming that's because the wireless adapter is not lighting up.

RE: beta2 - Smultie - 28th Oct, 2013 11:41 PM

My complete beta 2 works perfectly stable, with more features and speed than beta 1.1
What is holding back releasing this version?

Another (small) thing: for me it seems like when @mk01 is not available (for whatever reason: holiday, work, illness, we just don't know) all development seems to stop. A little worrying in my opinion.

RE: beta2 - Darkguy - 29th Oct, 2013 06:07 AM

(28th Oct, 2013 11:41 PM)Smultie Wrote:  My complete beta 2 works perfectly stable, with more features and speed than beta 1.1
What is holding back releasing this version?

Well for one the various bugs reported here, such as XBMC not loading when updating to the latest XBian-packages and updating all the other latest packages from the underlying Raspbian/Debian 7.2.

Quote:Another (small) thing: for me it seems like when @mk01 is not available (for whatever reason: holiday, work, illness, we just don't know) all development seems to stop. A little worrying in my opinion.

I've not been around that long, but I've noticed that too - and I actually decided to give XBian a shot over raspbmc since I read somewhere that raspbmc was only being developed by a single person and that seemed a bit too risky for my taste. Wink

RE: beta2 - CurlyMo - 29th Oct, 2013 06:56 AM

(29th Oct, 2013 06:07 AM)Darkguy Wrote:  I've not been around that long, but I've noticed that too - and I actually decided to give XBian a shot over raspbmc since I read somewhere that raspbmc was only being developed by a single person and that seemed a bit too risky for my taste. Wink
There is one you forgot here. @Koenkk was the first develop and founder of XBian. He is still the one that maintains the XBMC builds. Then i put everything on git, created the apt repo, and recreated the core from scratch. That also attracted @hexagon. He mostly worked on the very basic off xbian-config shell with me. He left and i finished it. I later created the additional packages like the all-in-one download software. Currently @Fred is maintaining it. Also @belese came around with the idea of a xbian-config inside XBMC. He still is the main dev for that. The last dev that joined was @mk01 and he took over my role as core XBian dev.

1. Koenkk - XBMC.
2. CurlyMo - XBian Core, xbian-config shell, apt repo (retired).
3. Hexagon - xbian-config shell (retired).
4. belese - xbian-config XBMC.
5. Fred - all-in-one download package.
6. mk01 - XBian Core, xbian-config shell / xbmc, apt repo.

So here you have it. In total 6 people have contributed to XBian. The main dev has changed 3 times, but there are still 4 people working more or less on XBian. Even @belese had a break before. The big difference between Raspbmc and XBian is that the latter is very open for devvers to join (and leave) when they have great ideas. Even changing the main dev isn't an issue as long as the core value of being on the edge is maintained.

Last but not least, there is the website and hosting. First there was @Firedrunk, than @BartOtten took over after the DDOS attacks. He quit and decided to put all his efforts in SuperRepo. Currently @brantje is webmaster and hoster.

Conclusion, no worries Cool

RE: beta2 - darrylb - 29th Oct, 2013 10:01 AM

Thanks @CurlyMo that builds a lot of confidence in the future of the program. No doubt @mk01 has been a great asset... Cant wait for him to get back, as my wireless is DOA until we get this patch working in the latest firmware (again). Smile

Very impressive everyone, no doubt about it---and my greatest thanks!

(29th Oct, 2013 06:56 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  
(29th Oct, 2013 06:07 AM)Darkguy Wrote:  I've not been around that long, but I've noticed that too - and I actually decided to give XBian a shot over raspbmc since I read somewhere that raspbmc was only being developed by a single person and that seemed a bit too risky for my taste. Wink
There is one you forgot here. @Koenkk was the first develop and founder of XBian. He is still the one that maintains the XBMC builds. Then i put everything on git, created the apt repo, and recreated the core from scratch. That also attracted @hexagon. He mostly worked on the very basic off xbian-config shell with me. He left and i finished it. I later created the additional packages like the all-in-one download software. Currently @Fred is maintaining it. Also @belese came around with the idea of a xbian-config inside XBMC. He still is the main dev for that. The last dev that joined was @mk01 and he took over my role as core XBian dev.

1. Koenkk - XBMC.

So here you have it. In total 6 people have contributed to XBian. The main dev has changed 3 times, but there are still 4 people working more or less on XBian. Even @belese had a break before. The big difference between Raspbmc and XBian is that the latter is very open for devvers to join (and leave) when they have great ideas. Even changing the main dev isn't an issue as long as the core value of being on the edge is maintained.

Last but not least, there is the website and hosting. First there was @Firedrunk, than @BartOtten took over after the DDOS attacks. He quit and decided to put all his efforts in SuperRepo. Currently @brantje is webmaster and hoster.

RE: beta2 - adepssimius - 29th Oct, 2013 10:07 AM

(28th Oct, 2013 12:08 AM)thedude459 Wrote:  Just updated today and it broke my wireless. The edimax doesn't even light up at all. When I go to xbian config there is no choice for wlan0 anymore. I am assuming that's because the wireless adapter is not lighting up.

I am having this issue as well. I also have an edimax adapter and there is no evidence that the pi recognizes it. No light, no wlan0, nada. Any idea what might have caused that?

RE: beta2 - rikardo1979 - 29th Oct, 2013 10:26 AM

(29th Oct, 2013 06:56 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  

1. Koenkk - XBMC.

you get it almost, almost right Smile
there have been more people around the webmaster, admin and webhost etc... a lot of changes, a lot of webhosting companies we have tried, and also we have lost a lot....
But hey, change is a life ... Wink
Cool

RE: beta2 - thedude459 - 30th Oct, 2013 11:33 PM

(29th Oct, 2013 10:07 AM)adepssimius Wrote:  
(28th Oct, 2013 12:08 AM)thedude459 Wrote:  Just updated today and it broke my wireless. The edimax doesn't even light up at all. When I go to xbian config there is no choice for wlan0 anymore. I am assuming that's because the wireless adapter is not lighting up.

I am having this issue as well. I also have an edimax adapter and there is no evidence that the pi recognizes it. No light, no wlan0, nada. Any idea what might have caused that?

I have no idea. Even when the driver wasn't included before it lit up.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 31st Oct, 2013 01:35 PM

(24th Oct, 2013 05:01 AM)IriDium Wrote:  It seems to be stable with the known problems, plus a possible new problem, that it won't "shutdown" or "poweroff" as it just restarts!!

this was known issue with firmware package above 1.4-4 and kernels < 3.10.x. last time I checked (1.4-6 firmware and 3.10.x) it was working, since then I pushed 1.4-7 firmware (kernel wasn't changed for a long time) package to repo as there were no reported issues - don't remember if I tried this particular functionality.

will retest myself and report back, in-between you can grab 1.4-6 or 1.4-3 from here and install with dpkg -i [package].

http://xbian.brantje.com/devel/rollback/

(28th Oct, 2013 11:41 PM)Smultie Wrote:  Another (small) thing: for me it seems like when @mk01 is not available (for whatever reason: holiday, work, illness, we just don't know) all development seems to stop. A little worrying in my opinion.

currently that only means that there is code freeze for Beta2 (I was posting that at that time somewhere in this thread). The last two package under development are xbian-config (xbmc/ssh) as we are trying with Belese to put as much features / settings to XBIAN-CONFIG XBMC. system itself already is providing them, but without having them accessible via GUI (XBMC/SSH) we would limit user experience for large group of users.

I introduced ~ 2 weeks ago a bug making UDEV daemon never start under some combinations / conditions which could lead to: keyboards / input devices not working, inaccessible external drives, inaccessible WiFi dongles (wlan0), wrong permissinos on VCHIQ - XBMC unable to start etc. It has been fixed few hours ago and committed to repo. beside this I'm considering the current status as Release Candidate 1 and will create new image.

(I still have to go through this forum watching for possible bug reports, so if any reported I'm not yet aware of them).

(22nd Oct, 2013 01:13 PM)darrylb Wrote:  @mk01 had a custom update for me, and last update he created a new update for me to try out, though it doesnt seem to be fixing it. Hopefully we will have this worked out soon! Smile

@all

thanks for all that reports, with all the info here I found the problem and fixed. see previous post.

RE: beta2 - danell - 31st Oct, 2013 04:45 PM

Welcome back and thank you for your quick work! Smile

RE: beta2 - Killerbee - 31st Oct, 2013 09:03 PM

(31st Oct, 2013 01:35 PM)mk01 Wrote:  I introduced ~ 2 weeks ago a bug making UDEV daemon never start under some combinations / conditions which could lead to: keyboards / input devices not working, inaccessible external drives, inaccessible WiFi dongles (wlan0), wrong permissinos on VCHIQ - XBMC unable to start etc. It has been fixed few hours ago and committed to repo. beside this I'm considering the current status as Release Candidate 1 and will create new image.

(I still have to go through this forum watching for possible bug reports, so if any reported I'm not yet aware of them).

@mk01
Thank you very much and welcome back Smile

You asked somewhere at page 32 to test your image created with the backup feature.
I have reported somewhere in this thread that I was able to boot your image, use it and so on.
But I was unable to run apt-get!

Apt-get update => no problem
Apt-get upgrade => answer with N => no problem
Apt-get install <any package name from above command> "stalled" my system. (makes system unresposive)

An btrfs snapshot was made but after that my system stalled.
Nothing happend (waited a few hours). I was able to switch to a different terminal, but unable to login.

I tried the same with disabling the snapshot creation but the result was the same.

When I unplugged the power and reboot, I had to run dpkg --configure -a.
When I run Apt-get install <next package name from above command> same result. System stalled.
etc.

I tried with different SD cards. Same result. I checked the filesystem (on my ubuntu system with updated btrfs tools) and sometimes I got some errors (sorry I forgot the errors). But I remmember that the error were not fixable. The errors were not their in the original image. So they were created by the apt-get process.

I just want to let you know. If you need me to do some more tests please let me know.

KB

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 31st Oct, 2013 09:31 PM

(31st Oct, 2013 09:03 PM)Killerbee Wrote:  An btrfs snapshot was made but after that my system stalled.
Nothing happend (waited a few hours). I was able to switch to a different terminal, but unable to login.

I tried the same with disabling the snapshot creation but the result was the same.

When I run Apt-get install <next package name from above command> same result. System stalled.
etc.

isn't this the problem I described here ?

http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1312-post-16437.html#pid16437

and this problems are relevant strictly to the .img I created? I can flash the img myself and test apt - probably will do, during weekend.

@all

all the issues I found (from page 36 and up) are all caused by the udev not being started. any xbian-update 1.0.2-7 and higher should fix that.
I also merged the latest config-xbmc with the basic snapshot control (v1.1.4+).

@CurlyMo

maybe now I will get to the bootmenu.

RE: beta2 - Killerbee - 31st Oct, 2013 10:00 PM

(31st Oct, 2013 09:31 PM)mk01 Wrote:  isn't this the problem I described here ?

http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1312-post-16437.html#pid16437

and this problems are relevant strictly to the .img I created? I can flash the img myself and test apt - probably will do, during weekend.

I don't think so because I run these commands from the CLI. And the system stalls even when I run:
Terminal
apt-get install apt
or any other package who needs an update. so not only samba.

Quote:and this problems are relevant strictly to the .img I created?

Yes it seems to happen only with the image you created. I did not have any problems with other (ext4) images.

But anyhow I will try and see if whiptail is running and (try to) kill it.

(31st Oct, 2013 09:31 PM)mk01 Wrote:  @CurlyMo

maybe now I will get to the bootmenu.

YES we want bootmenu with CEC support Big Grin