Forum
beta2 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: beta2 (/thread-1312.html)

RE: beta2 - Airwolfuk - 13th Sep, 2013 10:53 PM

(12th Sep, 2013 06:35 PM)ilgrank Wrote:  
Quote:What are you saying, what I was saying is dont power the Pi with the TV USB port. Nothing about the Pi USB power output capability.

YMMV, but I'm powering my Pi from my TV usb port (sharp aquos).
The Pi is overclocked to 900MHz (but not overvolted) and it is running rock stable.

I've measured power output of my tv set usb port up to 1040mAh: I know it is out of specs, but many tv vendors do provide 'overpowered' usb ports to have their users run external hdds with no issues.

As a general rule tho, use a short usb cable (mine is 10cm) and you'll have less power loss (less voltage drop due to cable length) : your Pi will run fine from the TV USB port.

This is now going way off original topic........

Mine is fine from the TV USB port if i only have the wifi dongle inserted into the RPi. So no HDD, no keyboard/ mouse etc. nothing, giving as much juice as possible the the wifi dongle.

Back on topic..... Xbian-config in XBMC is getting slower and slower to the extent i have to use a keyboard/ mouse for initial setup through Xbian Config in the OS.

RE: beta2 - IriDium - 14th Sep, 2013 04:25 AM

@Airwolfuk -it went "slightly" off topic as someone was having problems with a wifi dongle.

Anyway BOT. I have mentioned a few times in this thread, about XBMC xbian-config being really really slow. It can be over 5 minutes before the process has completed (or at least I think it has completed - there is no way to know).

Maybe it needs to be split into sub menus, so you select just the one you want, rather that all of them in one go.

RE: beta2 - Dave400 - 14th Sep, 2013 11:01 AM

Installed Beta 1.2 onto a fresh Beta 1.1 image.

Airplay is working perfectly, quicker to start than 1.1

Only problem I still have that I didn't have before is lirc isn't working with my mce remote, is this something to follow in a public beta2?

RE: beta2 - namtih - 14th Sep, 2013 05:57 PM

After a reboot today, I saw that there were some processes running after the startup like "apt-get", "apt-check" and "bzip2" with high CPU usage. And also the login message "9 packages can be updated. 0 updates are security updates.".
How do I disable this?

RE: beta2 - IriDium - 15th Sep, 2013 04:02 AM

@Namith There is a new process in "upstart" that runs on every boot, that checks for updates - I think it is the same process that triggers the message in XBMC and MOTD that some packages can be updated.

I'm not sure how to disable it - but I believe there should be an option to enable/disable it in xbian-config.

@mk01 - As we are closer to finalising Beta1.2 should we add any existing errors to github as well as this thread?

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 15th Sep, 2013 10:09 AM

(13th Sep, 2013 10:53 PM)Airwolfuk Wrote:  Back on topic..... Xbian-config in XBMC is getting slower and slower to the extent i have to use a keyboard/ mouse for initial setup through Xbian Config in the OS.

with which version of xbian-package-config-xbmc please?
Code:
apt-cache policy xbian-package-config-xbmc

(14th Sep, 2013 11:01 AM)Dave400 Wrote:  Only problem I still have that I didn't have before is lirc isn't working with my mce remote, is this something to follow in a public beta2?

and clean image beta1.1 is working with it?

can you provide please "sudo tail -50 /var/log/upstart/lirc.log", your /etc/modules and dmesg on pastebin.com?

(14th Sep, 2013 05:57 PM)namtih Wrote:  After a reboot today, I saw that there were some processes running after the startup like "apt-get", "apt-check" and "bzip2" with high CPU usage. And also the login message "9 packages can be updated. 0 updates are security updates.".
How do I disable this?

there is no apt-get update process started during boot. although anacron can start missed events (apt maintenance scripts are scheduled for daily operations - usually started around 1am-3am).

are you turning off you RPI?

(15th Sep, 2013 04:02 AM)IriDium Wrote:  @mk01 - As we are closer to finalising Beta1.2 should we add any existing errors to github as well as this thread?

Please don't use git for posting Beta2 bugs until it will be released. We are following this thread closely.

So just report it here please.

RE: beta2 - namtih - 15th Sep, 2013 05:06 PM

(15th Sep, 2013 10:09 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(14th Sep, 2013 05:57 PM)namtih Wrote:  After a reboot today, I saw that there were some processes running after the startup like "apt-get", "apt-check" and "bzip2" with high CPU usage. And also the login message "9 packages can be updated. 0 updates are security updates.".
How do I disable this?

there is no apt-get update process started during boot. although anacron can start missed events (apt maintenance scripts are scheduled for daily operations - usually started around 1am-3am).

are you turning off you RPI?

Yes, I do.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 15th Sep, 2013 06:44 PM

(15th Sep, 2013 05:06 PM)namtih Wrote:  
(15th Sep, 2013 10:09 AM)mk01 Wrote:  are you turning off you RPI?

Yes, I do.

@namtih

what is the way you are updating / if at all?

mk

RE: beta2 - namtih - 15th Sep, 2013 07:11 PM

You mean xbian?
I don't update very often, only when there is a new version out and nearly stable. The Rpi has so little power, that a working system with as less as possible running services is far more important. So I want to avoid as many as possible running background jobs.

Generally I really hope that there will be finally a Android stick with full supported Linux. Quadcore 1.6Ghz CPU, 2GB RAM, 1080P and all fanless will hopefully be the perfect media center solution. There are already sticks like the MK802IV, but unfortunately without full supported Linux. The all little waitings with the Rpi like until a cover or addon is loaded are too annoying. For now this looks most promising: http://linuxgizmos.com/tiny-cubic-mini-pc-runs-android-and-linux-on-freescale-arm-cpu/

Edit regarding the linked CuBox:
It seems that the company is looking for partners to release as many distros as possible. In this thread someone mentioned RASPBMC and it seems that they will contanct Sam reagrding a developer kit. So if you are interested to get one, you could try to contact SolidRun and get one too. As I said, they are looking for partnerships.
http://imx.solid-run.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=cubox

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 15th Sep, 2013 08:05 PM

it is a difference running background service and running a scheduled task. it's not taking any resources - until it is running - apt update 2-5mins once a day.

if you still wan't to completely disable, create /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99-personal (99 will be loaded at the end so effectively changing all previous loaded settings (from files 00-98)
Code:
APT::Periodic::Enable "0";

even started task doesn't mean it is running. 99.9% of all processes are sleeping most of the time. you can check that with "top" for example.
if you hit 'T', you get process list sorted by total time spend running. and check, what processes are those taking any cpu time.

if you are looking for some non-essential services to really turn off, look for lirc (non-CEC remotes), dbus (system message bus), avahi-daemon (zeroconf - airplay).

then you can disable "restore-home" service as discussed before, samba (although it is started via inetd now (ad-hock)). sshd the same case (by default not running as sshd process), change thread_pool=3 in cmdline.txt to thread_pool=1 (this will change number of btrfs worker threads - eating some memory). there is no much else. if you don't have nfs/nfs4 is fstab, xbian will even not start nfs-* services until needed. usbmount what you are disabling is not a service as well. it's started by udev on kernel event (disk add/change).

if you find something worth looking at, let me know.

add-ons / python inside XBMC is the biggest consumer of resources. disable all non-needed add-ons. this will bring visible change.

RE: beta2 - namtih - 15th Sep, 2013 09:05 PM

Thank you very much for this helpful post, it's much appreciated.

RE: beta2 - xraxor - 15th Sep, 2013 09:55 PM

@namith the CuBox looks very interesting Smile I would love one with xbian in it with all the download packages. Big Grin

RE: beta2 - namtih - 15th Sep, 2013 11:04 PM

Today I've written a short email to SolidRun, the company behind the CuBox, to check XBian if an partnership would be possible. Perhaps they will contact the team about available options.
But if the team is interested in such partnership, I suggest that they write another official email to them or check the IRC channel I've linked in my post to ask for more information.

If we should talk more about other hardware options for XBian, I think we should open another thread. But having XBian on a more powerful hardware would be great.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 17th Sep, 2013 06:49 PM

namtih, IriDium, others...

something more to report? anyhow, what xbian_revision you are at ? yesterday I realized, that xbian-config was never taking into account packages which apt-get reported as "hold back" - due to some new / changed dependencies. automatic updater is not affected, but still I'm curious what was the latest versions you had reported / installed .

RE: beta2 - IriDium - 17th Sep, 2013 07:51 PM

(17th Sep, 2013 06:49 PM)mk01 Wrote:  namtih, IriDium, others...

something more to report? anyhow, what xbian_revision you are at ? yesterday I realized, that xbian-config was never taking into account packages which apt-get reported as "hold back" - due to some new / changed dependencies. automatic updater is not affected, but still I'm curious what was the latest versions you had reported / installed .

2 Distos.
CEC TV Beta 1.2 about 3 weeks old. (Fairly stable, only multiple CEC error messages on boot.
PC Monitor Beta 1.2 about 1 week old. No issues as yet.

Generally performance and xbian-config are the issues for me.