Forum
beta2 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: beta2 (/thread-1312.html)

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 17th Sep, 2013 08:03 PM

and why are you not reporting ?

can you be specific on generally performance? - if it is possible.

and 3 / 1 week old, during polishing, sounds to me like beta0.9 Wink

RE: beta2 - IriDium - 17th Sep, 2013 09:11 PM

I agree - but I have been busy on other things (That earns me money Tongue ) Will update the PC one today - the TV one will have to be later as that is the "stable" version.

It might be "polishing" but bits are being added (table legs) and other bits are being taken away (chairs)!!

The performance issue is Xbian on startup - a lot slower than previous releases.

Possibly due to the apt-get and http. HTTP has been running for over 30 minutes now, since boot!!!. So of course you have to wait before you can upgrade or do anything useful as the CPU is at 50 - 100%. This is a "feature" we can do without.

XBMC Xbian-config which can take over 5 minutes to finish. Confluence is still the fasted skin, Amber is slightly slower - probably due to the HD pictures having to load.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 17th Sep, 2013 09:50 PM

I would this call as a BUG not as a difference to previous versions - and taking it as a feature? and silently? common Wink

root@xbian:/etc/init# time { apt-get clean; apt-get update; }
real 0m41.959s
user 0m20.260s
sys 0m2.470s

and it won't run twice a day. the apt maintenance script is not possible to set to interval less than 1day.

I was asking days ago, report me version of config-xbmc and the few steps which leads to 5 minutes to finish. Finish what ?

Iri, if you are the second man on the Earth turning off RPI so next day anacron will rerun missed task (as with namtih) adapt as you like.

/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10periodic and change
1) randomsleep (minutes to randomize start after run from cron)
2) any other number is 1d interval to perform task. It means, if you change APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists 1; to 7, apt-get update will not run in smaller than 1w intervals.

RE: beta2 - IriDium - 17th Sep, 2013 10:12 PM

(17th Sep, 2013 09:50 PM)mk01 Wrote:  I would this call as a BUG not as a difference to previous versions - and taking it as a feature? and silently? common Wink

root@xbian:/etc/init# time { apt-get clean; apt-get update; }
real 0m41.959s
user 0m20.260s
sys 0m2.470s

and it won't run twice a day. the apt maintenance script is not possible to set to interval less than 1day.

I was asking days ago, report me version of config-xbmc and the few steps which leads to 5 minutes to finish. Finish what ?

Iri, if you are the second man on the Earth turning off RPI so next day anacron will rerun missed task (as with namtih) adapt as you like.

/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10periodic and change
1) randomsleep (minutes to randomize start after run from cron)
2) any other number is 1d interval to perform task. It means, if you change APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists 1; to 7, apt-get update will not run in smaller than 1w intervals.

I think you will find that a LOT more people will turn off their RPi than you think. (Start a new thread with vote and see what the count is) I'd be interested.

I can assure you that it took 30 mnutes for the http task to free up the lock so I could use xbian-config to upgrade.

I don't want it automated. I will upgrade when I am ready and not doing something else.

I've upgraded to the latest versions - nothng more to upgrade.

1) ssh xbian-config: Set autoupdate - failed - no such file or directory.
2) ssh xbian-config: Backup home to file - text is all over the place and is difficult to read. It will need to have a pop up saying the backup has finished. Also do you do a check first to see if their is enough free space to write the img file?
Tried to access via SMB got \\XBIAN\xbmc-backup is not accessible.... Using xbian and root.
3) After reboot Loigtech wireless KB amd mouse not working. Failed usbhid 1-1.2.4.1:1.1: can't add hid device: -71
(After 2nd reboot - didn't get zdram debug information) and it connected.
4) Got message "Remote communication server failed to start" in XBMC
5) XBMC Xbian-config is a lot faster = usable.
Note services SSH is shown as stopped but I can ssh in (We're using something else now, so it needs to be updated)
6) Latest AMBER zip file does not have the correct structure.

RE: beta2 - Airwolfuk - 17th Sep, 2013 10:12 PM

sorry, been away for a few days.
output from: apt-cache policy xbian-package-config-xbmc

xbian-package-config-xbmc:
Installed: 1.1.3-1
Candidate: 1.1.3-1
Version table:
*** 1.1.3-1 0
500 http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com/ wheezy/main armhf Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 17th Sep, 2013 10:20 PM

Airwolfuk, that is version from today. is this version for you doing the same as that one that time ? http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1312-post-15250.html#pid15250

RE: beta2 - Airwolfuk - 17th Sep, 2013 10:27 PM

(17th Sep, 2013 10:20 PM)mk01 Wrote:  Airwolfuk, that is version from today. is this version for you doing the same as that one that time ? http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1312-post-15250.html#pid15250

sorry, I forgot to add that i had to do a new install this morning and didn't have a working system to do same on my previous install.

In general i feel the config start up is about the same, seems a little quicker to actually start to change the settings, and the response to changing a setting is a lot quicker.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 17th Sep, 2013 11:11 PM

(17th Sep, 2013 10:12 PM)IriDium Wrote:  1) ssh xbian-config: Set autoupdate - failed - no such file or directory.
2) ssh xbian-config: Backup home to file - text is all over the place and is difficult to read. It will need to have a pop up saying the backup has finished. Also do you do a check first to see if their is enough free space to write the img file?
3) After reboot Loigtech wireless KB amd mouse not working. Failed usbhid 1-1.2.4.1:1.1: can't add hid device: -71

2) where popup ? on XBMC - no problem, if it is running ? or by sms on cell phone ? no really, where do you expect ? the file is prepared on the background. and because it's extraction is via smb / scp /sftp it is not expected to keep the session / tty open. bright idea is for all money.
2) "text is all over the place" - you mean in a dialog box, but not aligned to right and left border?

3) if there is bug in 3.10.12 introduced (lot of new drivers etc), we can stick to 3.10.11. if you didn't do apt-get clean after the update, you will have maybe 3.10.11 deb still in your apt archive.

(17th Sep, 2013 10:27 PM)Airwolfuk Wrote:  
(17th Sep, 2013 10:20 PM)mk01 Wrote:  Airwolfuk, that is version from today. is this version for you doing the same as that one that time ? http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1312-post-15250.html#pid15250

sorry, I forgot to add that i had to do a new install this morning and didn't have a working system to do same on my previous install.

In general i feel the config start up is about the same, seems a little quicker to actually start to change the settings, and the response to changing a setting is a lot quicker.

You are my man! exactly this the small changes should have done. It is not the main target (main is to add all the new functions), but when already open the source code, trying also to speed up / definitely not to slow down. Don't expect miracles though.

And don't be sorry, just want to know the (actual) results. Old version is no more important.

(17th Sep, 2013 10:12 PM)IriDium Wrote:  5) XBMC Xbian-config is a lot faster = usable.
Note services SSH is shown as stopped but I can ssh in (We're using something else now, so it needs to be updated)

I will double check that, as I know what are you telling about. I changed from standalone daemon to start via inetd so from first look it looks like is enabled but of course is not running. But two days ago I have rewritten the code around services. Going to check again what have I put to APT.

Samba should be the same case.

The settings around updates - you are in a bad mood today. I'm kidding about you both (two). I know you are more = three Smile

I had to enable the workflow, we are testing - I just kept real update to false - in parallel I'm putting all relevant settings into config. And your complain means workflow works.

Hm, I see enabled and also running as YES although process is not running so correctly. Do you have xbian-package-config-shell at least ver 2.1.6-1 ?

@Airwolfuk the WiFi story didn't change since ?

RE: beta2 - IriDium - 17th Sep, 2013 11:43 PM

Latest upgrade - xbian-config.
1) Option gone
2) My idea was to hold the screen until the img file has been written and then button "Finished". Otherwise people will think nothing is happening or start it again.
3) Upgrade was done by ssh xbian-config. Didn't appear after 2nd reboot. Will keep an eye on it.
Should I have installed xbian-package-xbmc xbian-update which were kept back?

5) Also ssh in ssh xbian-config.

Apt-get & HTTP took 20 minutes on my second machine to finish, before I could do an apt-get upgrade. So I don't want this option at all. Does the option in XBMC Xbian-config work?

Logitech Keyboard: Every key press is slow. Dmesg shows... everytime a key is pressed. Rebboted - same result.

[ 279.775423] usb 1-1.2.4.1: USB disconnect, device number 24
[ 280.041671] usb 1-1.2.4.1: new low-speed USB device number 25 using dwc_otg
[ 280.152304] usb 1-1.2.4.1: New USB device found, idVendor=046d, idProduct=c517
[ 280.152334] usb 1-1.2.4.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 280.152351] usb 1-1.2.4.1: Product: USB Receiver
[ 280.152363] usb 1-1.2.4.1: Manufacturer: Logitech
[ 280.163667] input: Logitech USB Receiver as /devices/platform/bcm2708_usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2.4/1-1.2.4.1/1-1.2.4.1:1.0/input/input30
[ 280.176459] logitech 0003:046D:C517.001F: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb-bcm2708_usb-1.2.4.1/input0
[ 280.185044] logitech 0003:046D:C517.0020: fixing up Logitech keyboard report descriptor
[ 280.203012] input: Logitech USB Receiver as /devices/platform/bcm2708_usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2.4/1-1.2.4.1/1-1.2.4.1:1.1/input/input31
[ 280.213483] logitech 0003:046D:C517.0020: input,hiddev0,hidraw1: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb-bcm2708_usb-1.2.4.1/input1

RE: beta2 - Airwolfuk - 17th Sep, 2013 11:49 PM

@Airwolfuk the WiFi story didn't change since ?

Ah yes, wifi - i have been using a fixed connection today and just tried wifi.

No change from before i'm afraid. Using Xbian Config (XBMC), i cannot connect to my router and cancelling moves the scan onto the next available hotspot, again does not connect, Xbian Config (OS) works ok.

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 18th Sep, 2013 12:07 AM

@Airwolfuk

so you get proper network in the list, you choose it, then it restarts it ----- doing nothing, you press ESC and it moves to next in list ?

(17th Sep, 2013 11:43 PM)IriDium Wrote:  Apt-get & HTTP took 20 minutes on my second machine to finish, before I could do an apt-get upgrade. So I don't want this option at all. Does the option in XBMC Xbian-config work?

Logitech Keyboard: Every key press is slow. Dmesg shows... everytime a key is pressed.

but that's what I trying to tell you. there is no NEW apt-get or NEW xyz. just workflow changed, different order of steps, or steps which before were started upon start of XBMC or xbian-config ssh behind updates, is now plan during night.

but how long it runs must not change. there is no reason. so that it runs now 20 minutes is the same problem as the keyboard typing lags. something is running on your XBIAN which is taking quite much cpu time.

isn't for instance xbian-xbmc-bridge constantly stopping and starting ? you would see it in dmesg or "while sleep 1; do status xbian-xbmc-bridge; done"

(17th Sep, 2013 11:43 PM)IriDium Wrote:  3) Upgrade was done by ssh xbian-config. Didn't appear after 2nd reboot. Will keep an eye on it.
Should I have installed xbian-package-xbmc xbian-update which were kept back?

that was obviously BUG from ever since, as post few back - those packages have never been considered to list of upgradeable packages. I fixed it (at least I think) today or yesterday - now I checked, looks like I didn't commit this like the missing directory for backuphome was. but that I found. Ok, going to fix it again Sad

RE: beta2 - Airwolfuk - 18th Sep, 2013 12:32 AM

(18th Sep, 2013 12:07 AM)mk01 Wrote:  @Airwolfuk

so you get proper network in the list, you choose it, then it restarts it ----- doing nothing, you press ESC and it moves to next in list ?
basically yes.. Scanning picks up the networks, select my one and enter the key, says it is connecting, fails, goes back to the list. tried 3 or 4 times, gave up, if i press ESC it moves on to the next network in the list... and so on.

RE: beta2 - IriDium - 18th Sep, 2013 12:35 AM

I've never had this delay before - and the RPi was always put to bed. Whilst testing these past months, my process was switch RPi on, and then see what updates were available. I never had the lock file error. If the XBMC - Autoupdate switch works, then I'm happy but I bet there will be a few threads about it once released.

[ 186.481386] init: xbian-xbmc-bridge main process ended, respawning
[ 324.399400] init: xbian-xbmc-bridge main process ended, respawning
[ 462.493885] init: xbian-xbmc-bridge main process ended, respawning
[ 600.570707] init: xbian-xbmc-bridge main process ended, respawning
[ 738.657669] init: xbian-xbmc-bridge main process ended, respawning
[ 876.748740] init: xbian-xbmc-bridge main process ended, respawning

Might have been a power issue as I had plugged in a WIFI to test and forgot to power the HUB. Seems to work now.

WIFI is not finding my router in XBMC nor ssh

It's a bog standard Realteck 8188 generic chip

dmesg:
[ 5.474917] usb 1-1.2.4.4: new high-speed USB device number 9 using dwc_otg
[ 5.576099] usb 1-1.2.4.4: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8176
[ 5.576126] usb 1-1.2.4.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 5.576140] usb 1-1.2.4.4: Manufacturer: Realtek

RE: beta2 - mk01 - 18th Sep, 2013 12:38 AM

after you put credentials, can you please check content of /etc/network/interfaces ?

RE: beta2 - IriDium - 18th Sep, 2013 12:41 AM

(18th Sep, 2013 12:38 AM)mk01 Wrote:  after you put credentials, can you please check content of /etc/network/interfaces ?
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
wireless-power off
iface default inet dhcp

There's no activity on the lights, so it's as if it is not there.