Forum
[SOLVED] Upgrade stuck after downloading the packages - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Upgrade stuck after downloading the packages (/thread-1313.html)

Upgrade stuck after downloading the packages - simonszu - 3rd Sep, 2013 09:42 PM

I have a following problem with upgrading the system via SSH.

After i made an apt-get update, i tried apt-get upgrade as well as apt-get install xbian-update.

Both have the following problem: The process downloads the packages, and tells me how much it has downloaded.

After that, nothing happens. The SSH is completely frozen, i can't ctrl-c the process, nor kill the session with ~.

The pi also doesn't accept new connections. The only solution is to pull the plug and reboot it. Needless to say, the upgrade isn't installed then.

During the freeze, the TV GUI is frozen, too. I can move the mouse, but the buttons won't respond, and the clock does not count.

Help me, please. How can i upgrade my xbian?

RE: Upgrade stuck after downloading the packages - rikardo1979 - 3rd Sep, 2013 11:17 PM

from your post we can not see much,tbh... please look in my signature and follow the rules to put as much information as possible, at least from which version of XBian and XBMC you got and you trying to upgrade to.
-thx-

RE: Upgrade stuck after downloading the packages - simonszu - 3rd Sep, 2013 11:48 PM

Oh. I am sorry.
Software
XBian version: XBian 1.0Beta1
XBMC version: I don't know, at the moment i don't have physical access to my Pi, will fill in tonight.
Overclock settings: Default

Hardware
Power supply rating: 2A, 100-250V (this one: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B006SU9VXS/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=aflattrcom493-21)

RPi model (model A/B 256mb/512mb): Model B, 256MB
SD card size and make/type: 4GB Transcend Class 10
Network (wireless or LAN): LAN 1GBit
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, etc.): TV via HDMI, Amplifier via Headphone Jack, Logitech K400 via USB (with loaded kernel module), NAS Server via SMB.

I am not quite sure, which version i am trying to upgrade to. I got a popup on my TV that new packages are available, so i just connected via ssh, exited the settings tool, and executed apt-get update and apt-get upgrade after this.

I have no additional software installed. The apt-get update went well, although it took some time after downloading the package lists and parsing them.

I have a second pi just with plain Raspbian to hack around at home It's the same config, but i ordered one pi at RS and the other at farnell. They have different RAM vendors. The first is from Samsung, the other is _not_ from Samsung, but i can't tell the vendor.

The other Pi has an 8GB Transcend Class 10 SD Card, and no other devices connected at the moment. But its apt-get update and apt-get upgrade takes its time, too, but you see continuous progress, and the "reading package lists" is appearing immediately after downloading the new packages.

RE: Upgrade stuck after downloading the packages - rikardo1979 - 3rd Sep, 2013 11:55 PM

thanks for reply with all the info Wink
so you have followed this instruction to the last bit, right?

Upgrading from XBian 1.0 Beta 1

RE: Upgrade stuck after downloading the packages - IriDium - 3rd Sep, 2013 11:56 PM

The best way to upgrade your system is just to use the xbian-config in ssh.

It MAY be the RAM chip that is causing an issue. Can you post whatever is on the top of it - or take a picture.

RE: Upgrade stuck after downloading the packages - mk01 - 4th Sep, 2013 12:39 AM

there is a combination of factors in beta1X which can lead to this problem. update zram-swap package (you will need to update usbmount for dependency as well)

Code:
cd /tmp
wget http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com/pool/main/x/xbian-package-zram-swap/xbian-package-zram-swap_1.0-4.1_armhf.deb
wget http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com/pool/main/x/xbian-package-usbmount/xbian-package-usbmount_1.0-4.1_all.deb
dpkg -i *.deb

then reboot. retry the apt-get steps (to unweight it a little more, do "stop xbmc" before to stop xbmc).

let us know.

RE: Upgrade stuck after downloading the packages - f1vefour - 4th Sep, 2013 01:44 AM

@mk01

You could try throttling the CPU during the upgrade process, the overclock is likely the culprit.

RE: Upgrade stuck after downloading the packages - mk01 - 4th Sep, 2013 02:32 AM

with beta1X, 256 model and default zram it is OOPS no-available-mem on swap device.

me should know, me did it !

RE: Upgrade stuck after downloading the packages - f1vefour - 4th Sep, 2013 02:36 AM

Ah the dreaded Out Of Memory situation.

RE: Upgrade stuck after downloading the packages - simonszu - 5th Sep, 2013 03:07 AM

Well.
I didn't know i had to stop XBMC first. Wink

I tried it again with stopping it first. It seems to work. Currently it is processing the upgrade of the first package.

Thank you very much!

RE: Upgrade stuck after downloading the packages - IriDium - 5th Sep, 2013 03:59 AM

If it's solved can you change the status from Problem to Solved. Tnx

RE: Upgrade stuck after downloading the packages - zilexa - 7th Sep, 2013 11:11 PM

Im on 1.1 beta, I use Xbian-config. is it recommended to update all deb packages?