Forum
[PROBLEM] Dead after updating - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Dead after updating (/thread-1340.html)

Dead after updating - syco - 10th Sep, 2013 07:50 AM

Hi guys,

I went into Putty and did the standard update command I do every couple of weeks:

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

I read that somewhere and it was working good up to now.

Well, just some minutes ago, I did that again and after finishing then did a reboot command. That was the last time I "saw" my Xbian PI working. In other words: It is just dead now and does not boot into the system anymore.

I tried to connect to it with Putty, as usually, but that does not work. Sad

Any idea or better: help?

Thank you, guys.

(10th Sep, 2013 07:50 AM)syco Wrote:  Hi guys,

I went into Putty and did the standard update command I do every couple of weeks:

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

I read that somewhere and it was working good up to now.

Well, just some minutes ago, I did that again and after finishing then did a reboot command. That was the last time I "saw" my Xbian PI working. In other words: It is just dead now and does not boot into the system anymore.

I tried to connect to it with Putty, as usually, but that does not work. Sad

Any idea or better: help?

Thank you, guys.

Btw, pinging 192.168.1.44 did not help either. :-\

RE: Dead after updating - mk01 - 10th Sep, 2013 10:09 AM

check here how to get at least some info what is happening. or you just have black screen ?

https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian-package-initramfs/wiki/XBian-specific-cmdline.txt-options

RE: Dead after updating - syco - 10th Sep, 2013 10:32 PM

To be honest, it was totally fucked up. It did not boot properly, I guess, but I am not the Linux chief. Smile

So, I just did reinstall everything and it is working again, but building the database took hours, of course.

That is like the third time now. Is there a faster way to set up everything like an hard drive image on my computer to get the initial stand from the beginning?

Re: Dead after updating - rikardo1979 - 10th Sep, 2013 10:49 PM

yes there is a lots what you can do to make it easier.
If you new to XBMC than I would recommend you to read the XBMC wiki where you find all the info, like how to build movie database/library on any computer and than just let the rest of your XBMC clients to use, or how to export/import library once you have it built,how to use backup addon to backup your XBMC,etc... there is pretty much everything you would need to start with.
Also once you have all these things done on your RPi/XBian you can just make an SD card image Wink how to depends on the OS you using on your computer Wink

RE: Dead after updating - IriDium - 11th Sep, 2013 02:08 AM

We ask for information in "Please read before you post" - (see my signature for a link) for a reason.

Without knowing what release you are on, what upgrades were made, what the output was, what additions you had installed etc etc, it is nigh on impossible to debug this problem.

I would suggest you either use xbian-config to do your updates (as you have the opportunity to view what is going to be installed BEFORE you commit) or do an apt-get simulation first.

By setting the debug command in cmdline.txt -as detailed in a previous post - it is possible to see where the problem could be.

RE: Dead after updating - mk01 - 11th Sep, 2013 06:00 AM

(10th Sep, 2013 10:32 PM)syco Wrote:  That is like the third time now. Is there a faster way to set up everything like an hard drive image on my computer to get the initial stand from the beginning?

yes, in beta2 "boot last good known configuration"

mk