Forum
Sitecom 300N and Wi-Pi not recognized - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Network (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: Sitecom 300N and Wi-Pi not recognized (/thread-1341.html)

Sitecom 300N and Wi-Pi not recognized - blazinramirez - 11th Sep, 2013 12:15 AM

Hi all,

I'm trying to use my sitecom usb wireless receiver. I can't get it working. Tried many different things like on the debian page or earlier on other threads.

Here is my output of the dmesg
http://pastebin.com/ER2AD9KJ

And here my lsusb
http://pastebin.com/weh2YhiT

I really hope you can help me. I've got the same problem with the orriginal Wi-Pi from Farnell[/quote]

RE: Sitecom 300N and Wi-Pi not recognized - IriDium - 11th Sep, 2013 12:25 AM

What version of Xbian are you using Beta 1.1 would be a guess.

Unplug the ethernet cable and make sure the WIFI dongle is plugged into a POWERED HUB not the RPi.

Make sure your SSID doesn't have a space in it.

Go into Programs -> Xbian-Config - Network, change eth0 to wlan0. Follow the instructions.

or SSH int the RPi - xbian-congig. System Settings -> Network (obviously with eth0 attached)

If not, repost dmesg with any error noted.

Should be able to sort it out as I have a Realtek 8188 chip wifi dongle - so I should be able to replicate any errors.

RE: Sitecom 300N and Wi-Pi not recognized - blazinramirez - 11th Sep, 2013 12:35 AM

Hi,

Thanks for you quick answer. The problem now is that i can't post a dmesg. Another problem is that Xbian-Config is not showing me the Network option but i onlly see the options Services, Packages, Update, XBMC and Preferences. Even the wi-pi is not working. There is also a powered hub on my pi, why is that nessesary?

RE: Sitecom 300N and Wi-Pi not recognized - IriDium - 11th Sep, 2013 12:39 AM

Go down to Preferences and click "advanced user" then go back to Services.

The reason for the powered hub is that when the WiFI is searching or has bad connectivity, it has to work harder and that draws more power than the RPi can give. The USB is only 100ma on the RPi whereas a powered HUB gives 500ma.

RE: Sitecom 300N and Wi-Pi not recognized - blazinramirez - 11th Sep, 2013 12:49 AM

(11th Sep, 2013 12:39 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Go down to Preferences and click "advanced user" then go back to Services.

The reason for the powered hub is that when the WiFI is searching or has bad connectivity, it has to work harder and that draws more power than the RPi can give. The USB is only 100ma on the RPi whereas a powered HUB gives 500ma.

I really wanna try it but my pi is now on prefecences for more then half an hour. I'm unable to enable advanced mode.

RE: Sitecom 300N and Wi-Pi not recognized - IriDium - 11th Sep, 2013 01:00 AM

If this is a fresh install - then there is a lot of stuff going on in the background.

If it is still stuck, plug in the ethernet cable and ssh into your RPi.
#sudo xbian-config 2) --> 3

Select wlan -> and set the information there.

If your password has / / where the spaces are, then delete them. The password should be "as is".

BTW: My Wifi Dongle is drawing about 400ma.

More information can be found Here and Here

Re: Sitecom 300N and Wi-Pi not recognized - blazinramirez - 11th Sep, 2013 03:21 AM

Hi, it was a clean install. But when i used the installer or the img it wont boot so i needed to copy the kernel and something else like discribed in another thread. Im familiar with the xbian config. I'm trying to say that my device isnt listed on the network section in the xbian config. Is there any other way to get a clean xbian img with all the drivers for my wipi/sitecom 300n?

RE: Sitecom 300N and Wi-Pi not recognized - IriDium - 11th Sep, 2013 03:44 AM

That is another question and not related to this thread.

RE: Sitecom 300N and Wi-Pi not recognized - blazinramirez - 11th Sep, 2013 04:08 AM

(11th Sep, 2013 03:44 AM)IriDium Wrote:  That is another question and not related to this thread.

I understand but i just want to get one of these devices to work. I really like to use wifi and i used to use this adapter on an older version with a little tweak.

RE: Sitecom 300N and Wi-Pi not recognized - IriDium - 11th Sep, 2013 04:25 AM

Follow the instructions and it will work.

RE: Sitecom 300N and Wi-Pi not recognized - blazinramirez - 11th Sep, 2013 05:13 AM

(11th Sep, 2013 04:25 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Follow the instructions and it will work.

I did but it doesnt, again the problem i meant is that it is not recognized while using ssh on the network section. It only shows eth0.

RE: Sitecom 300N and Wi-Pi not recognized - mk01 - 11th Sep, 2013 06:03 AM

(11th Sep, 2013 03:21 AM)blazinramirez Wrote:  I'm trying to say that my device isnt listed on the network section in the xbian config. Is there any other way to get a clean xbian img with all the drivers for my wipi/sitecom 300n?

if it is not shown, then it's not registered as network device within system - module not available.

what chip it is and please link the "other forum" ?

RE: Sitecom 300N and Wi-Pi not recognized - blazinramirez - 11th Sep, 2013 06:58 AM

(11th Sep, 2013 05:13 AM)blazinramirez Wrote:  
(11th Sep, 2013 04:25 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Follow the instructions and it will work.

I did but it doesnt, again the problem i meant is that it is not recognized while using ssh on the network section. It only shows eth0.

Hmm strange, installed it again. Seems that my Wi-Pi is recognized but when I click on ssid it shows a black windows with select network. The other (the sitecom 300N X3) is still not recognized.

RE: Sitecom 300N and Wi-Pi not recognized - mk01 - 11th Sep, 2013 07:32 AM

what "iwlist wlan0 scanning" returns with the Wi-Pi?