Forum
Loading stopped - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Loading stopped (/thread-1360.html)

Loading stopped - approved101 - 17th Sep, 2013 02:36 AM

Hi,

I have installed xbian beta 1.1 in my raspberry. Power supply wire is connected to the LCD USB, then each time I switch on tv the raspberry switch on also, and when I switch off tv, then raspberry switch off.

Problem is that I think switch off suddenly without doing property corrupted my raspberry and now raspberry doesn't start, just kept in loading.

Any suggestion.

RE: Loading stopped - IriDium - 17th Sep, 2013 08:02 PM

It's more than likely you have corrupted the software - just powering off the RPi is not a good idea as files will be open, in the middle of doing something, or updating, so always shutdown properly.

Probably best to reflash the Beta 1.1 image onto your card.

What you can do is in System -> Input Devices -> Peripherals -> CEC: Set "When the TV is switched off" to Shutdown.

It may do what you want to do but you will have to test it for yourself..

RE: Loading stopped - rikardo1979 - 17th Sep, 2013 08:25 PM

(17th Sep, 2013 08:02 PM)IriDium Wrote:  It's more than likely you have corrupted the software - just powering off the RPi is not a good idea as files will be open, in the middle of doing something, or updating, so always shutdown properly.

Probably best to reflash the Beta 1.1 image onto your card.

What you can do is in System -> Input Devices -> Peripherals -> CEC: Set "When the TV is switched off" to Shutdown.

It may do what you want to do but you will have to test it for yourself..

it will not help and the reason is cos he is feeding the RPi from USB port on the connected TV/LCD. So when the TV goes off or standby it cuts the power to the USB port instantly so there is no time to power off RPi.

best advise - do not power RPi from your TV and if you do make sure you power down the RPi properly before you turn OFF your TV

RE: Loading stopped - mk01 - 17th Sep, 2013 08:38 PM

Rikardo:

what about turning off RPI and RPI would turn off TV on shutdown ?

this we can do.

RE: Loading stopped - rikardo1979 - 17th Sep, 2013 09:46 PM

(17th Sep, 2013 08:38 PM)mk01 Wrote:  Rikardo:

what about turning off RPI and RPI would turn off TV on shutdown ?

this we can do.

yes, the other way round should work Wink by selecting "Device to power off when stopping XBMC" in CEC settings
System>Settings>System>Input devices>Peripherals>CEC Adapter

EDIT: sorry, this will not work either... my bad. Reason is that the CEC signal to Power OFF TV is sent straight after you use "Power off System", so again the TV goes OFF before the RPi could power off ...

RE: Loading stopped - mk01 - 17th Sep, 2013 10:03 PM

WHY?

At the time I send signal to TV, RPI will be already with unmounted filesystems with "powered off" on the screen.

RE: Loading stopped - rikardo1979 - 17th Sep, 2013 10:24 PM

(17th Sep, 2013 10:03 PM)mk01 Wrote:  WHY?

At the time I send signal to TV, RPI will be already with unmounted filesystems with "powered off" on the screen.

are you sure? cos I'm not as the TV goes OFF in a split of the second and I'm not sure if the system is down by that time

RE: Loading stopped - IriDium - 18th Sep, 2013 02:08 AM

I think it will depend on the TV. Some TV's will keep power to the USB even when switched off as they still have power supplied.

That was why I suggested testing the functionality.

Even so, we don't know what the output of the TV's USB is? It a standard 500ma? If so, that will cause other issues.... Only a data sheet will tell.

Needless to say. Power the RPi from a dedicated power supply and the rest from a dedicated switch - and problem solved.

RE: Loading stopped - rikardo1979 - 18th Sep, 2013 02:54 AM

(18th Sep, 2013 02:08 AM)IriDium Wrote:  I think it will depend on the TV. Some TV's will keep power to the USB even when switched off as they still have power supplied.

That was why I suggested testing the functionality.

Even so, we don't know what the output of the TV's USB is? It a standard 500ma? If so, that will cause other issues.... Only a data sheet will tell.

Needless to say. Power the RPi from a dedicated power supply and the rest from a dedicated switch - and problem solved.

thats what I said it will be the best option Wink

RE: Loading stopped - IriDium - 19th Sep, 2013 02:27 AM

I've just tried on my PC and even when shutdown, there is still power to the USB - so it "might" work on the TV!

Re: RE: Loading stopped - rikardo1979 - 19th Sep, 2013 02:40 AM

(19th Sep, 2013 02:27 AM)IriDium Wrote:  I've just tried on my PC and even when shutdown, there is still power to the USB - so it "might" work on the TV!

OP mentioned that the RPi goes ON/OFF together with TV so the USB port is has no power when TV goes OFF

RE: Loading stopped - mk01 - 19th Sep, 2013 03:02 AM

(17th Sep, 2013 10:24 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  

are you sure? cos I'm not as the TV goes OFF in a split of the second and I'm not sure if the system is down by that time

We can switch tv off by command from RPI. So instead of turning TV off he would be turning off RPI and RPI would then switch off TV.

Re: RE: Loading stopped - rikardo1979 - 19th Sep, 2013 04:04 AM

(19th Sep, 2013 03:02 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(17th Sep, 2013 10:24 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  

We can switch tv off by command from RPI. So instead of turning TV off he would be turning off RPI and RPI would then switch off TV.

not sure what you mean by this and Im not sure how you would achieve this.
I mentioned that when you power off the system from XBMC the power off signal is sent to TV in split of the second so TV goes off before RPi is off.
Maybe you mean to create a custom shutdown but than how you sent this signal after RPi is already off???

RE: Loading stopped - mk01 - 21st Sep, 2013 09:23 PM

1) you will not send "standby" CEC cmd from XBMC
2) you will send it after system shutdowns - filesystems are unmounted - root remounted RO - and just before kernel requests HALT.

at this point, there is no much difference between unplugging the AC or kernel enters HALT (although RPI never turns off until AC removed).

RE: Loading stopped - approved101 - 22nd Sep, 2013 07:56 PM

Hi to all,

Thks for yr comments. It's true that if I switch off TV the raspberry switch off w/o doing properly. But yesterday I switch off rasp from xbmc with the off button and this morning when I connect TV the raspberry starts with command line and trying to connect xbmc with GUI mode ... something very strange. I'm installing again system but this is very hard to keep like this, each 3 days installing / configuring again system.