Forum
[PROBLEM] "Some kind of disk I/O error occurred" - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] "Some kind of disk I/O error occurred" (/thread-1364.html)

"Some kind of disk I/O error occurred" - hennymugge - 19th Sep, 2013 07:22 AM

Software
XBian version: 1.0
XBMC version: 12.2
Overclock settings: 840/275/400/0

Hardware
Power supply rating:
RPi model (model A/B 256mb/512mb): B 512mb
SD card size and make/type: 8GB Transcend SDHC class 10
Network (wireless or LAN): LAN
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, etc.): USB storage, TV

Logile
Link to logfile(s):
http://pastebin.com/dr58ZCNS
The SQL error just continues so I cut the log.

Problem description:
At random times my Video database gets corrupted: Movies/Tv series are not show anymore at random times. List is just empty or the whole menuitem disappears. With the list in Videos -> files is nothing wrong. Happens a couple times a day (!). Only solution is a reboot after removing the locations (which are on my external hdd connected by usb) & deleting MyVideos75.db.

Tried:
Chown the userdata folder to Xbian, chmod the wole userdata folder to 0777 (recursive), removing all my addons (except for Transmission), and cleaning the library.

How to reproduce:
Even after reformat/reinstall the problem persists. Both Xbian 1.0 and 1.1. No idea how to reproduce: it just happens at random times.

It's driving me nuts! Tried all I knew. Please, some suggestions Smile

RE: "Some kind of disk I/O error occurred" - IriDium - 20th Sep, 2013 01:15 AM

I've a feeling it maybe related to a known issue with DBUS.

Can you: Programs -> Xbian-Config -> Services and give me the status of DBUS. If it's stopped, ssh into your RPi, and sudo start dbus; sudo stop xbmc;sudo start xbmc and see if that works.

Also, if it occurs again, can you post the output from dmesg.

Another thought: Is your USB HDD usb powered? and if so, is it via a powered USB HUB or directly into the RPi?

I would also suggest trying to view files over the network rather than USB.

This has been fixed in Beta 1.2.

RE: "Some kind of disk I/O error occurred" - hennymugge - 20th Sep, 2013 08:30 AM

Dbus was actually stopped. I've restarted it now and will report back.

My HDD is directly powered by a power-outlet. So that should not be the problem! Viewing files over the network is not handy because I use the Pi as samba server.

Thanks for the help man!

BTW: dmesg is full of
Code:
btrfs csum failed ino 889 off 237568 csum 3156604687 private 1355977209
Maybe this helps in troubleshooting? Thanks from a beginning linux user Smile

RE: "Some kind of disk I/O error occurred" - IriDium - 20th Sep, 2013 04:10 PM

(20th Sep, 2013 08:30 AM)hennymugge Wrote:  BTW: dmesg is full of
Code:
btrfs csum failed ino 889 off 237568 csum 3156604687 private 1355977209
Maybe this helps in troubleshooting? Thanks from a beginning linux user Smile
That does not look good. Data Corrupyion
Some class 10 just do not work in the RPi - can you try it on another SD card - say a class4?

RE: "Some kind of disk I/O error occurred" - hennymugge - 20th Sep, 2013 06:44 PM

That would really be disappointing as the seller specifically sold it as a R-Pi card!

Will check another card though.

RE: "Some kind of disk I/O error occurred" - hennymugge - 20th Sep, 2013 10:46 PM

Bought a new class 4 SD card and the errormessage is back again

Steps I took:

- Installed Xbian
- Remove the "and started frandom" line in dbus.conf
- Installed and set up Samba.conf (apt-get + manual .conf)
- Installed and set up Transmission (created symlinks to my external HDD for downloading directly to it)

This is the link to dmesg log: http://pastebin.com/7ay9myEV

Nothing to see in the xbmc log, but I havent added videos to the library yet.

Also dbus wasnt running/starting up (again)

RE: "Some kind of disk I/O error occurred" - IriDium - 20th Sep, 2013 11:21 PM

Very strange. Can you:
1) Run a check on your USB drive (chkdsk is windows)
2) Install xbian again but don't add samba or transmission. See if the error occurs.
3) If not - add samba. Check again
4) If not - add transmission.

I wonder if samba or transmission are having problems with btrfs filesystem.

If you are brave, you could try Beta 1.2.

...or wait a few days as our BTRFS guru is away at the moment.

Another thought came to mind: How are you writing the image to the SD card? Xbian installer, win32diskimager or DD.
Can you download another image, just in case the first one is corrupted.

It should have a sha1sum of c1aed2e8568de02f3035e51f06437d91d282631b XBian_1.0_Beta_1.1.img.gz or
490f37df475cf29b067a6ee9b8a574c8d976f5fb XBian_1.0_Beta_1.1.img

RE: "Some kind of disk I/O error occurred" - mk01 - 21st Sep, 2013 09:11 PM

normally I would say too high clock. but 840/275/400 should be safe. then I would say bad AC.

still you can try NO OVERCLOCK, but I have the feeling you get the csum errors anyhow. change AC or reclaim under warranty.

RE: "Some kind of disk I/O error occurred" - hennymugge - 21st Sep, 2013 10:59 PM

Thanks again for your replies!!

Ive installed Xbian the "official way": with the Windows installer.
Also without overclocking I get these errors. Strange thing is: when I use openelec with the same configuration (Samba, Transmission) it all works perfectly!

It has to be a software issue then.. I have a feeling dbus is having something to do with it but have no idea how to troubleshoot this further to help you fix it in future builds.

Thanks again both!

RE: "Some kind of disk I/O error occurred" - IriDium - 22nd Sep, 2013 04:20 AM

Can you do what I requested earlier, to eliminate all possibilities. I don't think Openelec use BTRFS so that was why I was asking. Also openelec doesn't overclock, Xbian does - so it the PSU is a bit dodgy, then that could be causing the issue. Can you try another PSU with at least 1amp rating.

So are you saying you are overclocking?
Quote: Also without overclocking
Did these errors start occurring after you overclocked? If so, what settings did you use?

Dbus shouldn't be the reason for the corruption, it may have other issues but not that.

If the IMG is corrupt then that could cause an issue which was why I asked you to double check it.

Also, what version of the Windows Installer are you using?

I'm most interested if you get the errors with just a new formatted card and a fresh image written to it - without anything else added. If that all goes well, follow my plan and we will hopefully be able to pinpoint what is causing the issue.

Sorry to be a pain, but this error doesn't make sense. Everything should be fine, so it's just a process of elimination. Start with the hardware, then the software.

Another thought - How are you installing SAMBA and Transmission?