Forum
[PROBLEM] Dual boot with runlevels on Xbian - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Dual boot with runlevels on Xbian (/thread-1388.html)

Dual boot with runlevels on Xbian - Unicron - 24th Sep, 2013 01:32 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to update/follow this guide:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=23051

To summarise, what the user does there is adjust Raspbian so that XBMC only starts on runlevel 2. Then he has a script to switch the default runlevel to 5 before rebooting. In runlevel 5, lxfe is supposed to start. This last bit is what doesn't work at the moment.

I can execute the runlevel changing script via SSH, works fine. I reboot and I'm in runlevel 5. But, X never starts. It just stays on the Xbian boot screen.

If I run startx manually after quitting XBMC, that works fine.

So my guess is that there's something wrong in the script I've included below.

Any help would be greatly appreciated Smile

Code:
#!/bin/bash

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          startx
# Required-Start:    $all
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start:     5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 2 3 4 6
# Short-Description: startx through init, on runlevel - changing runlevel back to 2
# Description:
#
### END INIT INFO

case "$1" in
  start)
   sed -ri 's/'DEFAULT_RUNLEVEL=5'/'DEFAULT_RUNLEVEL=2'/' /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf
   startx
   ;;
  stop)
        stopx
   ;;
  status)

esac

exit
#EOF

RE: Dual boot with runlevels on Xbian - mk01 - 30th Sep, 2013 10:21 AM

XBian boot screen you mean Splash? the XBian boot graphics with progress bar?

Stop it before starting startx. It is possibly colliding with X.

In the script you provided place "splash --exit" just before "startx". Also, init scripts are run with -e option what cause scripts to stop at line - command returning non zero exit status. Put "set +e" right before "case $1".

RE: Dual boot with runlevels on Xbian - Unicron - 2nd Oct, 2013 03:09 AM

(30th Sep, 2013 10:21 AM)mk01 Wrote:  XBian boot screen you mean Splash? the XBian boot graphics with progress bar?

Stop it before starting startx. It is possibly colliding with X.

In the script you provided place "splash --exit" just before "startx". Also, init scripts are run with -e option what cause scripts to stop at line - command returning non zero exit status. Put "set +e" right before "case $1".

That's exactly what I meant, the splash screen. Thanks so much for this, will report back and provide links to the scripts I've used once finished Smile