Forum
Continuous SD corruption - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Continuous SD corruption (/thread-1390.html)

Pages: 1 2

Continuous SD corruption - effemmeffe - 24th Sep, 2013 04:36 AM

I just reported a bug, can anyone help me to solve this annoying problem?
https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/458

RE: Continuous SD corruption - f1vefour - 24th Sep, 2013 05:41 AM

Same thing I said on github.

Either lower the core overclock or run root from USB.

How are you shutting down the Pi?

RE: Continuous SD corruption - effemmeffe - 24th Sep, 2013 07:33 AM

(24th Sep, 2013 05:41 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  Same thing I said on github.

I never shutdown the PI, unless I have major problems on EXT4 or I want to do a full backup with dd on my mac. Last time I checked my uptime was 15 days.
I never changed the overclock, are you telling me that the xbian defaults are not safe?

RE: Continuous SD corruption - IriDium - 24th Sep, 2013 10:04 PM

Can you post the output from dmesg, config.txt and df -h

ext4 was dropped in favour of btrfs in Beta 1, so I can't see whay you are on Ext4.

RE: Continuous SD corruption - effemmeffe - 24th Sep, 2013 11:29 PM

(24th Sep, 2013 10:04 PM)IriDium Wrote:  Can you post the output from dmesg, config.txt and df -h

ext4 was dropped in favour of btrfs in Beta 1, so I can't see whay you are on Ext4.

dmesg: http://pastebin.com/msCrXsp8
config.txt: http://pastebin.com/pKTQFG4W
df -h: http://pastebin.com/NJRP1FhB

I am running xbian 1.0a5, not the beta. Do I have to change to beta?

RE: Continuous SD corruption - IriDium - 25th Sep, 2013 12:46 AM

(24th Sep, 2013 11:29 PM)effemmeffe Wrote:  I am running xbian 1.0a5, not the beta. Do I have to change to beta?
No. You stated on the "bug" report that you were on the latest release. The latest release is actually Beta 1.1.

There is certainly an error on the WD 1Tb HDD. Can you run a disk check on it. Is it EXT4 as well or split with NTFS?

Have you tried it with a slower class card - say class 4?

RE: Continuous SD corruption - effemmeffe - 25th Sep, 2013 04:33 AM

(25th Sep, 2013 12:46 AM)IriDium Wrote:  
(24th Sep, 2013 11:29 PM)effemmeffe Wrote:  I am running xbian 1.0a5, not the beta. Do I have to change to beta?
No. You stated on the "bug" report that you were on the latest release. The latest release is actually Beta 1.1.

my bad, sorry.
the problem is that I often run apt-get update & upgrade, but it doesn't update from alpha to beta and I don't have an automatic way to check if something new came out. I forgot to check on xbian site.
I will also switch to beta 1 to help developing and to try to solve my issue.

(25th Sep, 2013 12:46 AM)IriDium Wrote:  There is certainly an error on the WD 1Tb HDD. Can you run a disk check on it. Is it EXT4 as well or split with NTFS?

That is new, in the check I did last week it wasn't there for sure. I'll run an e2fsck on it.
But how does this impact on the system on the SD?

(25th Sep, 2013 12:46 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Have you tried it with a slower class card - say class 4?

I was running xbian on a class 4 SD, but XBMC was pretty slow for my taste, so here someone told me that switching to a class 10: http://forum.xbian.org/thread-617.html

Re: RE: Continuous SD corruption - f1vefour - 25th Sep, 2013 02:16 PM

(24th Sep, 2013 07:33 AM)effemmeffe Wrote:  

I never shutdown the PI, unless I have major problems on EXT4 or I want to do a full backup with dd on my mac. Last time I checked my uptime was 15 days.
I never changed the overclock, are you telling me that the xbian defaults are not safe?

You didn't answer my question, when you shutdown how do you do it?

XBians overclock is fine, some SD cards simply don't do well with core overclocking.

RE: Continuous SD corruption - effemmeffe - 25th Sep, 2013 05:05 PM

(25th Sep, 2013 02:16 PM)f1vefour Wrote:  
(24th Sep, 2013 07:33 AM)effemmeffe Wrote:  

You didn't answer my question, when you shutdown how do you do it?

XBians overclock is fine, some SD cards simply don't do well with core overclocking.

sudo shutdown -h now via ssh

RE: Continuous SD corruption - IriDium - 25th Sep, 2013 08:54 PM

(25th Sep, 2013 04:33 AM)effemmeffe Wrote:  [But how does this impact on the system on the SD?

By eliminating every possible error.

The dmesg posted only showed an error on sda not the SD card.

I'd wait until Beta 1.2 is released. Beta 1 and Beta 1.1 had issues.

RE: Continuous SD corruption - mk01 - 30th Sep, 2013 12:49 PM

(25th Sep, 2013 04:33 AM)effemmeffe Wrote:  I was running xbian on a class 4 SD, but XBMC was pretty slow for my taste, so here someone told me that switching to a class 10: http://forum.xbian.org/thread-617.html

it was me. it's like two devices. with card of max 4mb/s writing you will simply froze / halt system with each fs buffers flush for seconds.

btw: your error is reminding me of issues which are reason for "nohdparm" as default parameter in cmdline.txt.

try it. also be sure you perform full fsck.ext4 -py check on UNMOUNTED filesystem.

it is a little tricky on Alpha5 without having linux comp to put SD card into, but could be done.

but you know the steps as we I remember our discussion about fsck 2 months ago ?

(25th Sep, 2013 04:33 AM)effemmeffe Wrote:  my bad, sorry.
the problem is that I often run apt-get update & upgrade, but it doesn't update from alpha to beta and I don't have an automatic way to check if something new came out. I forgot to check on xbian site.

don't feel sorry - nobody's bad. this is an apt-get design not including packages (even newer!) if their dependency list changed. so it will be listed, but as "packages being kept back". even xbian-config wasn't considering them (being fully dependent on apt-get output).

anyhow, don't go for Beta1x. If you don't feel any argue to update, skip it.

RE: Continuous SD corruption - effemmeffe - 30th Sep, 2013 04:18 PM

(30th Sep, 2013 12:49 PM)mk01 Wrote:  btw: your error is reminding me of issues which are reason for "nohdparm" as default parameter in cmdline.txt.

try it. also be sure you perform full fsck.ext4 -py check on UNMOUNTED filesystem.

it is a little tricky on Alpha5 without having linux comp to put SD card into, but could be done.

but you know the steps as we I remember our discussion about fsck 2 months ago ?

Yep, I remember the discussion, I saved it and I follow the steps every time I have to repair the fs.
I will try nohdparm, but can you explain to me what is for?

(30th Sep, 2013 12:49 PM)mk01 Wrote:  
(25th Sep, 2013 04:33 AM)effemmeffe Wrote:  my bad, sorry.

don't feel sorry - nobody's bad. this is an apt-get design not including packages (even newer!) if their dependency list changed. so it will be listed, but as "packages being kept back". even xbian-config wasn't considering them (being fully dependent on apt-get output).

anyhow, don't go for Beta1x. If you don't feel any argue to update, skip it.

I'll wait for beta2.

RE: Continuous SD corruption - mk01 - 30th Sep, 2013 04:55 PM

(30th Sep, 2013 04:18 PM)effemmeffe Wrote:  Yep, I remember the discussion, I saved it and I follow the steps every time I have to repair the fs.
I will try nohdparm, but can you explain to me what is for?

hdparm is tool to setup some properties of ATA/SATA harddrives

during boot, when devices are being discovered, there is rule for /dev/sd* devices to be passed to hdparm tool. with default settings in /etc/hdparm.conf, hdparm tries to set spindown for it. but I had some experiences with this not working under some conditions (probably types of drives) causing wrong instructions sent to /dev/sd* causing lags, timeouts, corruption at the end.

and your dmesg reminded me to this. Beta2 with nohdparm means hdparm is not called and spin down is set by usbmount (service to provide usb hotplug mounting) with additional checks whether drive could be set to spindown (checks like drive being rotational, supporting APM, aupporting other power management commands).

RE: Continuous SD corruption - effemmeffe - 30th Sep, 2013 05:28 PM

thanks. I look forward for beta 2.

RE: Continuous SD corruption - mindprint - 2nd Oct, 2013 05:01 AM

Just to add my experience. I started using RPI and Xbian more than a month ago. Looked at all suggestions on the SD cardand went for fast Class10 Pretec 8GB and 16GB. Constant corrupts either on Xbian and Raspbian. Then tried Kingston Class10 8GB after more tha a week card went totally dead and while it worked it was not too stable and turned readonly a couple of times.

So I researched more on the net and realised class4 should be fine. So went with Lexar 4GB class4 and in my experience everthing is quicker and stable. All my movies/music are on a network drive, just the ZBIAN and library are on the SDcard.

I read that the RPI is very sensitive to SD cards, so I think try other but smaller 4GB class4 cards.