Forum
Continuous SD corruption - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Continuous SD corruption (/thread-1390.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Continuous SD corruption - mk01 - 2nd Oct, 2013 11:04 AM

maybe the issue is with fine cards from fine brands. It is always like Kingston, Sandisk which otherwise are always recommended and well proven. But not RPI.

But on the other hand, I'm telling this on each occasion already as funny story as with RPI I forgot to think about the card. So I had a package, RPI inside, all prepared - but no card. So i took car and found the worst not even PC/equip shop on the way and bought the only class10 they had - and quite cheap. A-DATA class10 16gb. for 5 months not one reinstall, not one corruption. Until recently it was always clocked at 430 core freq and being used for all this development. There are days with reboots all day long and some kernel lockups (wrong modules / out of memory situation etc) as well so AC out and AC in. So myself and RPI are not very polite to it. And I will say it again - looks like best random buy of my life. Big, fast (ahtough the 25mb/s write is not as much as class10 should provide) and comparing to all the fine Brands it was for free.

The second RPI I bought was preinstalled (Don't know what system - I just reformatted it immediately) shipped with class4 micro card + adapter. And to my really surprise, it boots 1s faster and write speed reported almost the same. Can someone explain this to me? When I firstly have seen XBian it was on borrowed class4 micro card with reduction as well - friend just flashed XB Alpha5 on it - back in february. But it was pain in the ass - slow as hell to boot - slow as hell to even move in the emu - until I copied it to the A-Data I bought. This is something I really don't understand. But ok, so be it.

I was speaking to Ricardo today as he could not boot Beta2 (would not even come to reading kernel) on any of his UltraFast SanDisk cards (something like Uclass10). But is telling me that B1 and 1.1 was ok. If it is true then clearly firmware fail again what is not welcomed. But happened also before already few times that officially released firmwares from foundation broke already working things in such very bad way. And then again and again.

So no solution in my long msg, but generally told - all is possible in this area.