Forum
[Setup planning] Just to make sure I get it right.. some questions - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Community (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Uncategorized (/forum-59.html)
+--- Thread: [Setup planning] Just to make sure I get it right.. some questions (/thread-1401.html)

[Setup planning] Just to make sure I get it right.. some questions - zielperson - 25th Sep, 2013 07:12 PM

Alright, I got to play around with XBMC on my Pi (which had been sitting idle faaar too long) this weekend.

First impressions:
HeartHeart SWEEEEET! HeartHeart

It setup with my Western Digital USB HDD, Edimax wireless, and CEC with the TV Flawlessly, basically out of the box.

Yes, I am using a powered USB hub for this.

What I would like to setup is the following:

The goal
- XBMC Media centre for movies and (maybe) music
- Torrent download machine

The man
I know my basic way around Linux (not an expert, though), so technical explanations are OK.

The plan
(and questions)
I did set up the transmission package via the frontend, but if I get it right this is just a client to view and start/stop torrents.

Question
I have to install, and set up the actual transmission program via SSH, is this correct?

I tested the screen saver via frontend... this seemingly crashed the Pi.. black TV screen, had to reboot the Pi by unplugging it.

Question
What gives? (This is not really important, though)

As for music...
I am eyeing some Bluetooth speakers with AUX in and would like to be able to stream internet radio as well.
However, I have heard that the Rpi Sound ..er... sucks.

Question
Do I route it through the TV via HDMI?
How is the setup done there?

Thank you for taking your time reading this.
And thank you for an awesome product!

Best,
::zielperson::

RE: [Setup planning] Just to make sure I get it right.. some questions - IriDium - 25th Sep, 2013 08:51 PM

(25th Sep, 2013 07:12 PM)zielperson Wrote:  Alright, I got to play around with XBMC on my Pi (which had been sitting idle faaar too long) this weekend.

First impressions:
HeartHeart SWEEEEET! HeartHeart

It setup with my Western Digital USB HDD, Edimax wireless, and CEC with the TV Flawlessly, basically out of the box.

Yes, I am using a powered USB hub for this.

What I would like to setup is the following:

The goal
- XBMC Media centre for movies and (maybe) music
- Torrent download machine

For transmission see Transmission

Quote:I tested the screen saver via frontend... this seemingly crashed the Pi.. black TV screen, had to reboot the Pi by unplugging it.

I'm guessing your on Beta 1.2. If so, it didn't crash just turned the TV off. Go Programs -> Xbian Config -> XBMC -> Unmark Turn CEC capable TV off with screensaver

Quote:As for music...
I am eyeing some Bluetooth speakers with AUX in and would like to be able to stream internet radio as well.

Use the audio via the HDMI on your TV, you can have "Output to All" and use the phono but why bother

IMHO: I'd stay clear of bluetooth.

Internet radio is available vi Music -> Add ons -> Radio

RE: [Setup planning] Just to make sure I get it right.. some questions - zielperson - 26th Sep, 2013 03:58 PM

(25th Sep, 2013 08:51 PM)IriDium Wrote:  For transmission see Transmission
Quote:I tested the screen saver via frontend... this seemingly crashed the Pi.. black TV screen, had to reboot the Pi by unplugging it.
I'm guessing your on Beta 1.2. If so, it didn't crash just turned the TV off. Go Programs -> Xbian Config -> XBMC -> Unmark Turn CEC capable TV off with screensaver
Quote:As for music...
Use the audio via the HDMI on your TV, you can have "Output to All" and use the phono but why bother

IMHO: I'd stay clear of bluetooth.

Internet radio is available vi Music -> Add ons -> Radio

Alright.

Thank you for your help!

I wasn't really eying bluetooth as in "have the Rpi talk Bluetooth" but rather for hooking up mobile phones / tablets / etc.. on the fly.

The music setup via Raspberry makes this all seem a bit redundant, though.

RE: [Setup planning] Just to make sure I get it right.. some questions - zilexa - 27th Sep, 2013 09:40 PM

This guide might help you all the way:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=47084

RE: [Setup planning] Just to make sure I get it right.. some questions - mk01 - 30th Sep, 2013 09:24 AM

(26th Sep, 2013 03:58 PM)zielperson Wrote:  I wasn't really eying bluetooth as in "have the Rpi talk Bluetooth" but rather for hooking up mobile phones / tablets / etc.. on the fly.

hooking for what purpose? if to provide remote speakers, this is possible.

to receive media content? didn't try, but the bluetooth implementation can provide all standard bluetooth destination types. so file transfer should work as well.

if you would be thinking about tuneling sound out of RPIs own HDMI or analog out, hardware and linux is able to provide this. XBMC is not (officially). beside XBMC, you can attach USB sound card (24bit 8ch 96k digital mixer) - but why, if XBMC is out of question for now.

with transmission you are right, you will need transmission-daemon. you can still get it with apt-get install transmission-daemon. but you have to configure it yourself - not that bad.

RE: [Setup planning] Just to make sure I get it right.. some questions - zielperson - 1st Oct, 2013 08:28 PM

Sorry if I did not come over right.

I meant the bluetooth on the speaker will be to hook up tablets/etc..

The RasPi will go in via the AUX-in.

RE: [Setup planning] Just to make sure I get it right.. some questions - mk01 - 1st Oct, 2013 08:44 PM

Oh yes, then like you said, redundant Wink