Forum
fsck on boot - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: fsck on boot (/thread-143.html)

fsck on boot - aot2002 - 29th Dec, 2012 03:03 PM

I have had a fresh install of Alpha 3 on my r pi.
My setup requires the ability to power off at any moment because it's running inside of a car using the accessory ignition.

Today when it powered off I had a problem where it wanted to go into maintenance mode and waiting for Control D or the root password.

Because I do not have a keyboard hooked up it makes the setup a bit complicated.
Any way to prevent or automate this again in the future. I don't really want to have it prompting me for a fsck or maintenance mode I prefer it to just do it and reboot.

RE: fsck on boot - Enigmach - 29th Dec, 2012 05:12 PM

Going into maintenance mode would indicate that there are some serious errors/corruptions on the SD-card. Are you using an overclock? I've had this issue when using overclocks with overvoltage when I simply pulled the power instead of shutting down.

RE: fsck on boot - aot2002 - 30th Dec, 2012 06:02 AM

Yes I have it at 840 or 850 but no overvoltage applied. I think it's the default xbian setup.
I need stability though if it powers off so that I am not required to hit control D, I realize fscking the SD was needed but it should do it and then reboot.
Maybe I should opt for a battery backup and have it detect that it's on battery and safely shut itself down.

Re: fsck on boot - rikardo1979 - 30th Dec, 2012 06:08 AM

seems to be a good idea Wink
or get it connected under permanent power but than have to be careful not to leave it on accidentally anf drain your battery Smile

RE: fsck on boot - namtih - 30th Dec, 2012 06:24 AM

Perhaps you could also give the following 2 options a try:
1. sync parameter
You can try to add the sync option in the mount table to the root partition, so it might help to prevent a corrupt filesystem. So try to add ",sync" in the following file.
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab
/dev/mmcblk0p1  /boot        vfat     defaults,sync 0 2
/dev/mmcblk0p2  /              ext4    defaults,sync 0 1

2. disbale fsck on boot when the sync option doesn't help
Also in the file you could disable fsck on boot. I think 1 means 'Do a fsck' and 2 means "Do also a fsck, but after 1".
So you could try to set both to 0.
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab
/dev/mmcblk0p1  /boot        vfat     defaults,sync 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p2  /              ext4    defaults,sync 0 0
But perhaps it will result in an corrupt filesystem. So don't store important files on it or at least have a backup.
Hope it helps.