Forum
[SOLVED] 3D & Projector - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Video and Audio (/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] 3D & Projector (/thread-1451.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: 3D & Projector - rikardo1979 - 8th Oct, 2013 02:31 AM

with your setup you should have external decoders enabled as your Onkyo will decode the sound, so RPi only passthrough it over HDMI
Regarding the 3D issue, as I said I do not have 3D equipment at home so cant test/debug. So lets wait for someone who can and would be able to give more info

RE: 3D & Projector - Abshole - 8th Oct, 2013 02:47 AM

I'll enable those to see what difference it makes. I've looked around for tips on the 3D issue, and it seems everyone has issues with SBS films. If I can only do T/B films then I'll have to live with it; just means I'll have to be careful what I download.

As far as the 1080P films skipping/playing, is this an issue due to RAM? Or could overclocking help?

These last few days I'm beginning to see the RPi's limitations and have recently been looking at Zotac setups, but if I don't have to dish out $200+ I don't want to.

Re: 3D & Projector - rikardo1979 - 8th Oct, 2013 02:51 AM

when u enable the decoders you should see the radical performance increase Wink
I easily stream 1080p/DTS with pretty high bitrate where the file size is 25GB + in size. Streaming from local NAS over SMB or NFS

RE: 3D & Projector - Abshole - 9th Oct, 2013 01:56 AM

Enabling those did seem to help in the long run. Watched Jurassic Park in 3D, roughly a 10GB file. There was an initial buffer at the start, but after that smooth sailing.

I've been looking into which way to have media stored/accessed is best with the Xbian setup. Currently I have my media on an external hdd hooked up to my Mac and I enabled SMB file sharing and then added the appropriate folders in xbian. Typically I have no issues with SMB, but last night not matter what I did xbain couldn't connect to it.

Not sure if I want to go with a NAS (buy/make one) or stay with SMB. Any advantages?

RE: 3D & Projector - brantje - 9th Oct, 2013 09:41 AM

Pro's of a nas that it can be accessed with almost everything (smb,dlna,nfs,etc).

Also, restart the computer that the pi is connecting to, it might work.

RE: 3D & Projector - Abshole - 11th Oct, 2013 12:39 PM

Got the SMB to work again. Tried streaming a 20 some gb film and it buffered every 5 minutes or so. Might be an internet speed issue rather than xbian though.

Something else I'm encountering, when I go from the home screen to a movie playing, for a brief moment it loses the source & then it comes back, even though during those moments audio has started to come through. Is this something I'm going to have to live with?

RE: 3D & Projector - brantje - 11th Oct, 2013 06:19 PM

SMB works fine here.
Streaming an internet movie is also fine.

Can you be a bist more clearly please?
It when you play a movie and go back to the home screen that you loses the source?

RE: 3D & Projector - Abshole - 11th Oct, 2013 09:53 PM

(11th Oct, 2013 06:19 PM)brantje Wrote:  SMB works fine here.

It when you play a movie and go back to the home screen that you loses the source?

When I'm looking through my movies and I find one, after I press play my display will go dark and will say 'No Source', and then a few seconds later it will find the source and I'll have the movie displayed/playing. It's almost like during those seconds without a source the movie is loading, even though if I watch a movie that buffers at the start that screen is still visible.

I'll post a short video later today just for some clarity.

RE: 3D & Projector - rikardo1979 - 11th Oct, 2013 10:08 PM

(11th Oct, 2013 09:53 PM)Abshole Wrote:  
(11th Oct, 2013 06:19 PM)brantje Wrote:  SMB works fine here.

When I'm looking through my movies and I find one, after I press play my display will go dark and will say 'No Source', and then a few seconds later it will find the source and I'll have the movie displayed/playing. It's almost like during those seconds without a source the movie is loading, even though if I watch a movie that buffers at the start that screen is still visible.

I'll post a short video later today just for some clarity.
also try to get the log file when this occur and pastebin the link here, maybe it will show some info

RE: 3D & Projector - Abshole - 16th Oct, 2013 08:28 AM

Sorry for the delay, but is there a way to clear the log? Seemed the last one I posted still had prior days activity listed.

RE: 3D & Projector - mk01 - 16th Oct, 2013 08:44 AM

if you mean xbmc.log, then this is rotated on xbmc stop / start. so it will contain info just from last start.

RE: 3D & Projector - Abshole - 17th Oct, 2013 09:16 AM

Here's the video showing what happens:

As for the log file, I'm having trouble finding a site that'll host it. It's too large for pastebin.

Edit

Here's a link for the log: http://txtup.net/tahER

RE: 3D & Projector - rikardo1979 - 17th Oct, 2013 07:46 PM

looked into the log you posted and it seems to be uncomplete as I cant see any records of playing the media or accessing the source. Looks you have pulled the log straight after reboot.

Regarding the video you have posted, to be honest what we are hunting here??? I just dont see any problem there at all, as you go to Video/Files and you have all the files listed as it should, and when you selected the one you wanted to play it is started as it should. Not sure where you see the problem??? If you mean that bit where the screen goes black and shows the source TV info about HDMI etc than that is normal as the TV is switching to the right resolution to match with the movie. So like your XBMC GUI is in 720p/60Hz and you play movie which is in 1080p for example than the TV receive the info over HDMI CEC protocol to display the required resolution.
So to be honest that is as it should be.

And the buffer issue that would required more investigation as there are so many things which can cause this like the network, router/switch, system bug, your SMB share device(laptop), the HDD from which the file is shared from(lack of power, etc), etc...
Also not sure how is your network done? Do you have all devices connected by LAN(cable) or is any of those on WiFi?

RE: 3D & Projector - Abshole - 18th Oct, 2013 02:10 AM

So even though the resolution settings for video output is 1080p (as well as the projector) & the video I'm playing is 1080p, it's normal for it to look for a source even though the video has already started playing and I can hear it? I've had the Cinema Experience enabled and after every video/slide played it lost the source/looked/found the source. It's just quite aggravating.

I'm not sure why XBMC runs flawlessly on a physical computer and another on the RPi.

All devices are LAN. I avoid using Wi Fi in these types of situations.

RE: 3D & Projector - mk01 - 18th Oct, 2013 02:39 AM

@Abshole,

going though the messages, I'm somehow slowly loosing confidence with Projector.