Forum
Experience level ? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Community (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Feedback (/forum-12.html)
+---- Forum: The website (/forum-13.html)
+---- Thread: Experience level ? (/thread-1477.html)

Experience level ? - Skywatch - 7th Oct, 2013 09:49 PM

I have an idea for the site that might help some people.

Answers to questions raised there are difficult to address due to not knowing a persons ability with linux or xbmc.

So why not have a user rating that tells us their level of experience with

linux
xbmc
xbian

It could be as easy as a three digit number in thier user account or name.

Something on a 1 to 5 scale that would give a clue as to where to start helping them.

In my case it would be 1.2.2 but others might be 3.5.5 and therefore it would be known to start at a higher level ofr thier requests whereas a 0.0.0. would need everything explained in total detail what to do.

I do worry that some questions asked on here, the asker never returns to the thread. Maybe they feel the answer is way above and beyond thier skills so they go looking for something else that's easier to understand.

It's just a thought and may not be practical at all, but I thought it worth a mentionShy

RE: Experience level ? - rikardo1979 - 7th Oct, 2013 09:58 PM

looks like an good idea but I see it unpractical and the reason is that to make it right you would have to have one person or group who scores everyone. Cos when user do it self than, he might actually feel like he is 3 or 4 where @mk01 or someone else who starts asking the questions would say he is not even 2 with the knowledge. Hope you see my point of view Wink
This would be highly individual and actually may not be a good pointer.

RE: Experience level ? - IriDium - 8th Oct, 2013 01:10 AM

I agree with Rickardo on that. Generally from their first post, you tend to get a feel for their level of experience. However, it wouldn't do any harm to have this added to the "Please read before you post" template.

RE: Experience level ? - Skywatch - 8th Oct, 2013 03:56 AM

No problems guys and I see your point.

Skywatch

Re: Experience level ? - f1vefour - 10th Oct, 2013 01:33 PM

No one is a 5 at any of the three Wink

RE: Experience level ? - mk01 - 12th Oct, 2013 01:26 AM

(7th Oct, 2013 09:58 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  looks like an good idea but I see it unpractical and the reason is that to make it right you would have to have one person or group who scores everyone. Cos when user do it self than, he might actually feel like he is 3 or 4 where @mk01 or someone else who starts asking the questions would say he is not even 2 with the knowledge. Hope you see my point of view Wink
This would be highly individual and actually may not be a good pointer.

usually this is solved by scale defined as:

1) what is linux?
2) I read a lot about Linux in magazines.
3) … 4) …
5) I use this kind of commands "while sleep 1;do tput sc;tput cup 0 $(($(tput cols)-29));date;tput rc;done &" on daily basis and my linux account password is "a%';//sjIhf93[."

RE: Experience level ? - Skywatch - 12th Oct, 2013 07:49 AM

I'm only trying to think of a way where noobs are not frightened off Xbian due to the technical level of the answer to a quesstion/problem/issues that they bother to post on here. I have noticed that some just don't respond or return, they can't all be trolls can they?

Skywatch

Re: Experience level ? - f1vefour - 13th Oct, 2013 09:06 AM

@mk01 nice sense of humor Big GrinBig Grin

RE: Experience level ? - IriDium - 16th Oct, 2013 05:19 AM

(12th Oct, 2013 07:49 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  I'm only trying to think of a way where noobs are not frightened off Xbian due to the technical level of the answer to a quesstion/problem/issues that they bother to post on here. I have noticed that some just don't respond or return, they can't all be trolls can they?

Skywatch
@Skywatch

Yes in a wonderful world but without – say – an interactive web page that asks certain Linux questions and from the answers, deduces a rating score. 1 -5.
But also, how good is their English - so another interactive web page. Score 1-5.
But you have to remember that all answers are viewable by every person from novice to expert, so the answer should always be as simple as possible, so everyone, irrelevant of their skill base can understand.

Unfortunately, not all people will put the effort into solving an issue themselves, assuming that all software (even if it is free) has a hundred dedicated personal awaiting their problem and, some, almost expecting an immediate response. Sad

I honestly don’t think new users are frightened off technical answers, as long as there are instructions that are easy to follow – the RPi was created as a learning device, so we add to that Tongue

Most new users are glad they EVEN got a response.

As Beta 1.2 shows, we are eliminating as much as possible (with software) the tedious problems that are commonly accounted but there will always be more.

So it’s far better to just rewrite the “Please read before you post” template to ask these questions: How good is your Linux/English skills and work from that. It would mean forcing people to refer to the Question to the Link before answering but…. It’s a start.

I also guess that most “noobs” would answer 0/0 anyway as that would get the simplest answer!!!

Just my make on things.

RE: Experience level ? - mk01 - 16th Oct, 2013 05:24 AM

(16th Oct, 2013 05:19 AM)IriDium Wrote:  I also guess that most “noobs” would answer 0/0 anyway as that would get the simplest answer!!!

Just my make on things.

I should start using such tricks! I like that Smile))