Forum
Safely remove a USB drive - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Safely remove a USB drive (/thread-1489.html)

Safely remove a USB drive - skeniver - 10th Oct, 2013 05:49 AM

Hi there,

I have a external USB hard drive that I use for storage and often connect USB flash drives to the RPi, but I can't figure out how to eject them safely. Googling found results that said "go to System > File Manager, then select the drive, open the context menu and choose 'remove safely'".

But the drive doesn't show up in the file manager. The only place I know to find it is by browsing the Root filesystem /media/xxxxxx and this is treated as a normal folder, there is no remove option.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I'm missing so that I can eject drives safely?

Much thanks!

Re: Safely remove a USB drive - f1vefour - 10th Oct, 2013 01:04 PM

I just ssh in and run "sudo sync" and wait for the command to finish. You can also run "sudo umount /media/device" with device being the USB drive.

RE: Safely remove a USB drive - IriDium - 10th Oct, 2013 11:51 PM

You should be able to in XBMC, Videos or Music to right click on the drive and just select "Remove Safely". I think it has to be added as a source in File Manager, but once added the same right click applies.

Re: RE: Safely remove a USB drive - f1vefour - 11th Oct, 2013 01:02 PM

(10th Oct, 2013 11:51 PM)IriDium Wrote:  You should be able to in XBMC, Videos or Music to right click on the drive and just select "Remove Safely". I think it has to be added as a source in File Manager, but once added the same right click applies.

I believe your right, I am just a terminal kind of person.