Forum
Encrypted Drive Unable to Mount. dm_mod missing - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Peripherals (/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Encrypted Drive Unable to Mount. dm_mod missing (/thread-149.html)

Encrypted Drive Unable to Mount. dm_mod missing - jsmith - 30th Dec, 2012 08:05 AM

Whenever I try to mount a LUKS encrypted external HD, I get the following error message:

/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
Check that device-mapper is available in the kernel.
Cannot initialize device-mapper. Is dm_mod kernel module loaded?

From what I understand this means that the dm_mod kernel isn't installed. Is there any fix for this? I've installed package updates, but have been unable to fix the problem.

Any help is appreciated.

RE: Encrypted Drive Unable to Mount. dm_mod missing - CurlyMo - 30th Dec, 2012 08:15 AM

Somehow it wasn't included in all kernel versions, while it should have. I will fix it when i get back from vacation. In the meanwhile try kernel version 3.2.27 or 3.6.7, those versions did include the module:

Code:
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-kernel3.2.27
or
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-kernel3.6.7

RE: Encrypted Drive Unable to Mount. dm_mod missing - CurlyMo - 4th Jan, 2013 07:12 AM

I have readded these missing modules. Just update the kernel:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-kernel3.6.11
sudo modprobe dm_crypt

RE: Encrypted Drive Unable to Mount. dm_mod missing - jsmith - 15th Jan, 2013 05:40 PM

I get fatal errors even after doing the above:

FATAL: Module dm_crypt not found.
and
FATAL: Module dm_mod not found.

RE: Encrypted Drive Unable to Mount. dm_mod missing - CurlyMo - 15th Jan, 2013 07:57 PM

Dan you did not install the right kernel.

Can you check with:
Code:
dpkg-query -W -f='${Version}\n' "xbian-package-kernel3.6.11"

It should say 1.1

RE: Encrypted Drive Unable to Mount. dm_mod missing - jsmith - 16th Jan, 2013 04:53 PM

I installed the right one. It says 1.1 when i query that.

RE: Encrypted Drive Unable to Mount. dm_mod missing - CurlyMo - 16th Jan, 2013 07:59 PM

and did you do:
Code:
depmod -a

RE: Encrypted Drive Unable to Mount. dm_mod missing - jsmith - 17th Jan, 2013 04:20 PM

yep, i also did that. I also restarted the system, and double checked my installs and packages.

I still get fatal errors.

RE: Encrypted Drive Unable to Mount. dm_mod missing - CurlyMo - 17th Jan, 2013 08:06 PM

The modules should be there as you can see on this page: https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/tree/xbian-alpha5/lib/modules/3.6.11%2B/kernel/drivers/md

Can you try following this guide: http://forum.xbian.org/thread-211.html
And then try again.

RE: Encrypted Drive Unable to Mount. dm_mod missing - jsmith - 20th Jan, 2013 12:54 PM

The above worked. Thanks a lot for all of the help CurlyMo!

I also found that for mounting truecrypt drives I had to disable kernel cryptographic services when mounting altogether by using the command: truecrypt -m=nokernelcrypto [volume] [mountpoint].

LUKS drives work with the regular mounting commands.

Thanks again

RE: Encrypted Drive Unable to Mount. dm_mod missing - CurlyMo - 20th Jan, 2013 07:53 PM

And i got the Splash + initramfs working already so no need to look into that.

Can you share your init file with us so we can implement these features by default:
- Mounting NFS root
- Mounting TrueCrypt drives

RE: Encrypted Drive Unable to Mount. dm_mod missing - cell - 18th Oct, 2013 10:42 AM

hello... so I found this thread after almost a year and just wanted to ask if the truecrypt package is somewhere handy or to be installed?
i can't find it in default repos, but maybe it's because my apt-get update is partially failing to update the index.

i'd truly appreciate any note if mounting truecrypt volumes is supported.
thanks.

RE: Encrypted Drive Unable to Mount. dm_mod missing - mk01 - 19th Oct, 2013 02:43 AM

@cell

I'm not really sure true crypt is available from the distro repositories anymore on linux, but last time I was working with it I followed many guides which are around, like this for instance:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TrueCrypt

if still remember correctly, true crypt has to be installed/downloaded from true crypt repos / web.

RE: Encrypted Drive Unable to Mount. dm_mod missing - cell - 19th Oct, 2013 04:48 AM

I'll follow the guide. thanks a lot.