Forum
Can't see files on samba share . - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Can't see files on samba share . (/thread-1510.html)

Can't see files on samba share . - laddo71 - 13th Oct, 2013 05:58 AM

Hi,

I have changed recently from Raspbmc to xbian and I'm having issues with Samba shares.

I have set up a samba share with my laptop successfully. I can navigate to the folders on the share but I can't see the files in the folders (yes there are files there).

Can anyone shed any light on what the issue might be?

laddo71

RE: Can't see files on samba share . - mk01 - 13th Oct, 2013 06:05 AM

laptop is windows ?

RE: Can't see files on samba share . - laddo71 - 13th Oct, 2013 06:13 AM

(13th Oct, 2013 06:05 AM)mk01 Wrote:  laptop is windows ?

It's windows 7 Home Premium. I had the share set up on Raspbmc with no issues.

RE: Can't see files on samba share . - mk01 - 13th Oct, 2013 06:16 AM

it is guest accessible or user/pass ?

RE: Can't see files on samba share . - laddo71 - 13th Oct, 2013 06:18 AM

with user and password.

RE: Can't see files on samba share . - mk01 - 13th Oct, 2013 06:22 AM

ok, then check whether user:pass is correctly part of the defined share in sources.xml, or that correct passwords.xml file created on the specific client.

or to remove this issue from list of possibilities, can you create on the windows new share, with Everyone Full control (for share permission and file permissions as well)? (of course with a file inside - but Gues ok - no password. if you run into the some?)

RE: Can't see files on samba share . - laddo71 - 13th Oct, 2013 06:31 AM

I'll have a look.

cheers

RE: Can't see files on samba share . - rizzyc - 15th Oct, 2013 07:53 AM

Why don't you use UPNP sharing? I have xbmc installed on every computer / tablet / device at home and find the upnp sharing is the easiest.

RE: Can't see files on samba share . - mk01 - 15th Oct, 2013 08:09 AM

yes, indeed it is but until Gotham will be released it lacks some functions which the direct approach (local (or remote) library) with directly available full scope of info.

I was missing for instance the possibility to edit / refresh the scrapped info from any client accessing the uPNP provider. You had to change it ON the provider itself.

Otherwise I have to agree it will be step forward for noob installations without ANY needed knowledge and howto's.
So for Frodo - YES WITH COMPROMISES
from Gotham - let's see but the plan is to YES WITHOUT COMPROMISES Smile

mk

RE: Can't see files on samba share . - IriDium - 16th Oct, 2013 04:01 AM

(15th Oct, 2013 07:53 AM)rizzyc Wrote:  Why don't you use UPNP sharing? I have xbmc installed on every computer / tablet / device at home and find the upnp sharing is the easiest.

I tried uPNP and whilst easier, used a lot more CPU on the RPi compared to SMB (Mind you, this could be the crappy NAS (DNS 323), Check both and see what works best for you.

RE: Can't see files on samba share . - laddo71 - 16th Oct, 2013 06:05 AM

(15th Oct, 2013 07:53 AM)rizzyc Wrote:  Why don't you use UPNP sharing? I have xbmc installed on every computer / tablet / device at home and find the upnp sharing is the easiest.
Thanks for the suggestion, I have tried it but have the same issue where I can see the folders but not the files in the folders!

RE: Can't see files on samba share . - mk01 - 16th Oct, 2013 06:14 AM

@laddo71

just as info, uPNP is not sending data around, it sends just metadata. that means your RPI will only get info about movie and it's location (smb://)

so you end up on the same last step. access right to the files. did you try my suggestion from before about creating new share world writable with anonymous user and anonymous full access to the share?

RE: Can't see files on samba share . - laddo71 - 16th Oct, 2013 06:19 AM

(16th Oct, 2013 06:14 AM)mk01 Wrote:  @laddo71

just as info, uPNP is not sending data around, it sends just metadata. that means your RPI will only get info about movie and it's location (smb://)

so you end up on the same last step. access right to the files. did you try my suggestion from before about creating new share world writable with anonymous user and anonymous full access to the share?
To be honest I haven't had chance to test it yet (packing to move house). I will though.

RE: Can't see files on samba share . - laddo71 - 17th Oct, 2013 05:20 AM

(16th Oct, 2013 06:14 AM)mk01 Wrote:  @laddo71

Hi,

I tried logging on to the laptop as a guest, then navigating to the files on the laptop from xbian on my RPi. Unfortunately I have the same problem as I had logged on as my usual account. I can navigate to the shared folders and sub folders but I cannot see the files in the folders.

Any more suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Laddo

RE: Can't see files on samba share . - belese - 17th Oct, 2013 08:34 AM

Did you see it from ssh?
i've same problem, but also in ssh
i've to done :
sudo chown -R xbian:xbian /media/"USBMOUNTPATH"
and it was fixed. (maybe -Rr, dont find mk01 post with instruction)