Forum
CEC remote not working - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Remotes and CEC support (/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: CEC remote not working (/thread-1520.html)

CEC remote not working - Sytten - 19th Oct, 2013 03:38 AM

Hi guys,

I need some help to configure a CEC remote on my samsung tv, I followed the tutorial on the web site (http://www.xbian.org/2012/12/configuring-a-remote/) but I dont get any output when I run mode2 so I suppose my remote isnt recognize because the tutorial says:
Quote:If mode2 doesn’t output anything, then your remote isn’t recognized by the system.Ask for support so we can figure out what the right hardware.conf should be.

Thank you very much
Sytten

RE: CEC remote not working - rikardo1979 - 19th Oct, 2013 04:19 AM

(19th Oct, 2013 03:38 AM)Sytten Wrote:  Hi guys,

I need some help to configure a CEC remote on my samsung tv, I followed the tutorial on the web site (http://www.xbian.org/2012/12/configuring-a-remote/) but I dont get any output when I run mode2 so I suppose my remote isnt recognize because the tutorial says:
Quote:If mode2 doesn’t output anything, then your remote isn’t recognized by the system.Ask for support so we can figure out what the right hardware.conf should be.

Thank you very much
Sytten

you are a bit confused here m8. If you use a CEC, so means the remote from your TV by using a CEC protocol (libCEC) than you should not edit the files you have been trying as those procedures are for the remote controls connected to RPi into USB ports or even GPIO and these are like IR remotes or others.
So the CEC should work out of the box if your TV supports it. And sometimes, but not often some of the buttons are not mapped, but than you edit the /remote.xml file.

RE: CEC remote not working - Sytten - 19th Oct, 2013 04:27 AM

(19th Oct, 2013 04:19 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  

Thank you very much
Sytten

you are a bit confused here m8. If you use a CEC, so means the remote from your TV by using a CEC protocol (libCEC) than you should not edit the files you have been trying as those procedures are for the remote controls connected to RPi into USB ports or even GPIO and these are like IR remotes or others.
So the CEC should work out of the box if your TV supports it. And sometimes, but not often some of the buttons are not mapped, but than you edit the /remote.xml file.

Hoooo, ok ok, sorry...
But that doesn't change the fact that my remote doesn't work. I just get errors like: not available or it doesn't do anything.
I don't know if my TV supports CEC, but I don't have a remote.xml file...

RE: CEC remote not working - mk01 - 19th Oct, 2013 06:26 AM

@Sytten,

how old your samsung tv is? older models called the CEC as Anynet+. There are some compatibility issues though. I have one older Samsung TV where it's still "Anynet+" and in the brighter days it works ok, but most of the time not as it should. What works on that TV is that always when I turn it on, I have to switch from HDMI to analog input, then "menu" -> "input" -> HDMI and only then is the CEC reconfigured on RPI and starts to work. Anyhow the TV is still not displaying any Anynet+ devices available, but the remote commands gets transferred to the RPI and I'm able to control XBMC.

With newer Samsung TV I don't any issue at all.

RE: CEC remote not working - Sytten - 19th Oct, 2013 06:32 AM

@mk01,

Not that old, maybe 1 or 2 years max. I'll try your trick to see if it works...
Thanks

EDIT: no difference, still can't control it with the remote...

RE: CEC remote not working - rikardo1979 - 19th Oct, 2013 06:36 AM

(19th Oct, 2013 04:27 AM)Sytten Wrote:  
(19th Oct, 2013 04:19 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  

Thank you very much
Sytten

Hoooo, ok ok, sorry...
But that doesn't change the fact that my remote doesn't work. I just get errors like: not available or it doesn't do anything.
I don't know if my TV supports CEC, but I don't have a remote.xml file...

well, you should first find out if your TV support CEC over HDMI and also make sure your HDMI cable supports it too. Dont take me wrong but we can not know what TV you have and if is support the CEC. You should do a bit of reading of your TVs instruction manual or do a bit of google search for it. So I would start from there...

Than you can look into /xbmc/system/keymaps/remote.xml, you should have it there.
Also when you check my signature where are links for "How to post.." etc as there might be more details needed once you find about CEC of your TV, so we need like the XBian and XBMC versions, etc, etc...

RE: CEC remote not working - Sytten - 19th Oct, 2013 06:50 AM

Hum sorry for bothering you, I just read that my TV doesn't support CEC...
I will try to find something else. Maybe an IR usb receiver? if it exists
Thank you

RE: CEC remote not working - rikardo1979 - 19th Oct, 2013 06:59 AM

(19th Oct, 2013 06:50 AM)Sytten Wrote:  Hum sorry for bothering you, I just read that my TV doesn't support CEC...
I will try to find something else. Maybe an IR usb receiver? if it exists
Thank you

great Wink thanks for info
So now you know where to start and what to look for. Yes, there are many possibilities how to control XBMC.
You can use IR, BT or radio remotes with receivers connected to RPis GPIO or USB ports.
Or if you have an Android or iOS device than there are remote applications like Yatse, XBMC Remote, etc..
Or you can even use the webserver and operate XBMC from within the web browser on your computer.
Not sure if you are new to XBMC, so if you are I would recommend to go over to XBMC Wiki pages where you find all about everything, and the way of to operate it. All is nicely done there and it helps you to start and find the answers you are looking for.
Than once you decide the way you would like to go and you get any difficulties with something in XBian you find a lot about remotes in our forum and if no than you open a thread and I'm sure someone helps for sure Wink

RE: CEC remote not working - Sytten - 19th Oct, 2013 07:05 AM

I already use the apps for android, but I will try to use an old hp IR receiver because my parents aren't good with new tech and I want them to be able to use the RPi to watch movies...

The HP receiver seems to get the signal, but I will probably have to map the buttons myself. I hope it doesn't need a driver Confused

EDIT: good news! my receiver is working, I get inputs, but I need to map the buttons. Anyway so happy!

RE: CEC remote not working - Sytten - 19th Oct, 2013 08:25 AM

(19th Oct, 2013 07:05 AM)Sytten Wrote:  I already use the apps for android, but I will try to use an old hp IR receiver because my parents aren't good with new tech and I want them to be able to use the RPi to watch movies...

The HP receiver seems to get the signal, but I will probably have to map the buttons myself. I hope it doesn't need a driver Confused

EDIT: good news! my receiver is working, I get inputs, but I need to map the buttons. Anyway so happy!

OK I successfully managed to create a custom map (followed the tutorial), but I don't get anything when I try to use irw...
Another thing I find bizarre is that I got a different map when I run another time irrecord

Don't know what to do Confused
thanks

RE: CEC remote not working - belese - 19th Oct, 2013 08:51 AM

maybe try this :
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:Keymap_Editor

RE: CEC remote not working - Sytten - 19th Oct, 2013 08:56 AM

Ok I'll try, I already installed it

EDIT: it doesn't work... It's strange because I know the RPi receives thé signal...

RE: CEC remote not working - Sytten - 20th Oct, 2013 02:48 PM

Hi,

I changed remote, I now try to use a HP MCE remote.
Couple of buttons are working, but most of them don't and I can't even select them in the keymap editor.
I read some post about that and the problem is probably that the remote is recognize as a keyboard, but I don't know what to do now...

Thank you
Sytten