Forum
init/upstart documentation - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: init/upstart documentation (/thread-1530.html)

init/upstart documentation - rbellamy - 22nd Oct, 2013 08:48 AM

Is there somewhere I can go to get clear on where and how services are started?

These recent changes from SysV to Upstart/Insserv have me completely flummoxed - I can't figure out where services are starting or how they're configured.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

RE: init/upstart documentation - IriDium - 24th Oct, 2013 05:09 AM

I'm not sure that this is an Xbian issue, more a Linux learning curve.

If you could be more clear as to what you are actually trying to achieve then maybe we can assist, but otherwise Google is your friend.

RE: init/upstart documentation - rbellamy - 4th Nov, 2013 05:05 AM

Yeah, @IriDium, I could see how you would respond to my question like that - it does at first blush appear to be a linux-only question.

However, I'm not new to linux and am comfortable with the SysV, systemd and upstart/insserv methods of system initialization. My confusion comes from the apparent mixing-and-matching of SysV and upstart/insserv.

For instance, where is SSHD started?

So, a more specific question is whether there is any documentation yet on how Xbian manages system initialization - and if it's just following the "raspbian way", maybe a forum post pointing to the relevant documentation.

As for the friendliness of Google, I guarantee I went there many many times before I posted here, and found the results for "Xbian upstart" or "Xbian upstart sshd" less than delightful.

Thanks!

RE: init/upstart documentation - mk01 - 4th Nov, 2013 12:12 PM

@rbellamy

it is the basic idea of XBian fully support standards, documents and all what comes from upstream distribution - Debian in that case. The biggest confusion you see is to blame Debian. let's not discuss why but at current Wheezy 7.2 sysv is still used as system service management. even if replaced by upstart, upstart will start the system and then call RL 1->target run level.

we started migration with Beta series (introduce upstart) and followed in B2 to minimize usage of sysv to minimum. As we don't want to break Debian's current distro valid standards in any way, we need to keep sysv running, keep aloe sysv service names etc…

current status for B2 is that clean img installation has 0 services started within sysv subsystem. all is migrated to upstart. if there wasn't analogue / setting / job to update because of Debian's delays & old versions, we were looking into Ubuntu Docs mostly and followed those standards - at the end almost all this ends back ported in Debian when attacking higher version - should be fine. so all upstart, SSHD & SMBD managed via inter server and managed by Wheezy's system tools around inetd subsystem.

If the XBian would be designed differently, I would agree on need for detailed docs around service & startup handling, but there is not. With XBian it was, is and plan is that will be always to use just what current base distro offers. We can't be more Debian and Debian. That's why Debian is the base for others, not vice-versa.

So you need to mod a lot this topic in XBian, we are ready to help with your questions (which might go to XBian specific packages). But in general, how those packages are using / altering Debian system the answer will be only one. In the way man pages describes and Debian's Developer's manuals allows you to.