Forum
PVR-Add-Ons - cmyth - Mythtv plugin - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+---- Forum: Addons (/forum-19.html)
+---- Thread: PVR-Add-Ons - cmyth - Mythtv plugin (/thread-1531.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: PVR-Add-Ons - cmyth - Mythtv plugin - mk01 - 2nd Nov, 2013 03:47 AM

@Karen,

we see completely eye to eye with the benefits of this concept. regarding the speed difference, it's always a trade. but as RPI is ultra-low-power device (and I never turn them off), the initial boot is not so important in the equation.

rpi has 100mbit network because the hardware would not be able utilize more. I'm also not so much surprised with the EPG loading difference. I don't have insights into mythtv, but if it follows the default, it is sqlite3 db stored as file on disk. what is overkill for any network protocols is latency. and if we consider number of operations on databases per second (even if very low in size), RPI is probably using all the resources to send / receive almost empty packets back and forth - in great mass.

what is worth trying is to make rsize and wsize as small as possible. let's try 2048 both, or 4096 both. maybe also 1024. by default nfs is creating 1M buffers. waiting to fill them up could be really a stopper for numerous small data transfers.

and yes, as last resort is creating local partition for various purposes as I already told in the point 4) of previous post.

btw: I'm quite happy you managed it so fast, because that way it was meant to be ;-)

RE: PVR-Add-Ons - cmyth - Mythtv plugin - Karen Pollard - 2nd Nov, 2013 08:27 PM

(2nd Nov, 2013 03:47 AM)mk01 Wrote:  the initial boot is not so important in the equation.

Totally agree.

(2nd Nov, 2013 03:47 AM)mk01 Wrote:  what is worth trying is to make rsize and wsize as small as possible. let's try 2048 both, or 4096 both. maybe also 1024. by default nfs is creating 1M buffers. waiting to fill them up could be really a stopper for numerous small data transfers.

That's a VERY good suggestion MK01. I will play with the figures and report back new times for NFS Boot and EPG operations

(2nd Nov, 2013 03:47 AM)mk01 Wrote:  btw: I'm quite happy you managed it so fast, because that way it was meant to be ;-)

Thanks to good instructions ;-)

kp

RE: PVR-Add-Ons - cmyth - Mythtv plugin - ikke - 6th Jan, 2014 08:13 AM

Hi,

I lost the mythtv support from my raspi also after the .27 mythtv came out. Today I tried to fix it, unsuccesfully Sad

So I took the latest openelec, and copied the xbmc-pvr-addons github master branch [1] into it. It's in about version 1.9, which has some fixes for mythtv, and supports the latest .27 protocol. After getting all (cross) compiled in my fedora 20 box, I copied the files over to my xbian. I bluntly overwrote the any files matching '*mythtv*' under /usr/local. I didn't find a way to build it as a separate plugin.

--> this failed due plugin failing to start due glibc missmatch between the xbian and the openelec addons.

Then I saw this post, and thought the gotham alpha version would have recent enough cmyth. I upgraded the xbmc package in xbian just to notice the cmyth in gotham alpha has also too old version of cmyth.

--> failure

Any ideas how to get the cmyth working in Xbian? It's been a while that mythtv .27 has been out there, and also there is likely a working version of the plugins available. Some of the fixes are from this week though. What would it take to get it into Xbian?

Ultimately I could setup the Xbian devel env. with the cross compilers, but it seems quite a job again just to get few binaries. Did you Karen get the binaries compiled from fetzerch github tree, and could you please share them if you did Smile ?

BR,
ikke

[1] https://github.com/fetzerch/xbmc-pvr-addons/tree/master

now re-reading this topic, I noticed there is some uncertainty about version numbers. Just to clarify:

- mythtv backend has been version .27 since last summer.
- cmyth in Xbian supports only protocol version < .26 of mythtv (and won't work with recent mythtv)
- mythv protocol .27 is not backwards compatible, so Xbian version can not talk to mythbackend
- xbmc-pvr-addon package version in my previous link is about 1.9.something. It speaks .27 protocol

What it would require from someone having Xbian devel env, would be to recompile the xbmc-pvr-addon package for Xbian. Maybe even the easiest to recompile xbmc package with the addon updated before the compile. That's what I did with OpenElec today.

I haven't checked out how much work it is to create a Xbian devel env with cross compilers. I believe it's quite a job starting from zero, and I would like to avoid that if possible.

It should not be an issue in native environment. Doing it in the native env on the other hand would risk my Xbian install, and I don't want to break it. And it's likelyy damn slow.

RE: PVR-Add-Ons - cmyth - Mythtv plugin - mk01 - 7th Jan, 2014 03:53 PM

i'm just looking at the repo you posted. you are right with 1.9 xbmc.pvr as dependency and 1.9.x versions for pvr addons. this applies for master branch which is obvious gotham.

going to frodo https://github.com/fetzerch/xbmc-pvr-addons/blob/frodo/addons/pvr.mythtv.cmyth/addon/addon.xml.in we are stuck at 1.6 as xbmc.pvr depend and 1.6.x clients.

latest frodo we have (12.2 git 20131125 available in staging repo) has 1.6.7 myth. 1.6.13 is possible as available on the git you posted.

if OE guys backported 1.9 xbmc.pvr to Frodo - can you please post relevant git link for us to evaluate ?

RE: PVR-Add-Ons - cmyth - Mythtv plugin - ikke - 7th Jan, 2014 04:08 PM

Thanks mk01 for looking into problen. I'll ask the xbmc community.

How about the gotham alpha branch? Any chance you could apply the 1.9 there? I already have it installed in my Xbian, haven't used it much though. Anyways I would be happy to use it and report back the success.

FYI, I opened a thread in mythtv addon section of xbmc forum:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=182560

RE: PVR-Add-Ons - cmyth - Mythtv plugin - mk01 - 7th Jan, 2014 05:35 PM

I can compile it, that's no problem as takes no more than 1h even on RPI and you don't need much special setup.

But beside installing it (as check) I can't test more. Will post link when ready.

RE: PVR-Add-Ons - cmyth - Mythtv plugin - mk01 - 8th Jan, 2014 10:02 AM

@ikke,

I made it available via XBIAN Addon repository. It is dynamic linked binary you need zlib1g and libmysqlclient18

Code:
apt-get install libmysqlclient18 zlib1g

RE: PVR-Add-Ons - cmyth - Mythtv plugin - ikke - 8th Jan, 2014 06:07 PM

Thanks, I briefly tried it before I needed to hurry to work. The xbmc gotham alpha said the zip is invalid format as I tried to install via addons->install from zip.

Was it supposed to be installed by that way or manually copying the files in place?

Would you mind sharing info how to compile the package, I could try it myself at some point?

Thanks for your help!

RE: PVR-Add-Ons - cmyth - Mythtv plugin - mk01 - 8th Jan, 2014 07:20 PM

just go in XBMC into addons -> get -> xbian addon repo -> pvr clients -> install

anytime you can just copy files ...

RE: PVR-Add-Ons - cmyth - Mythtv plugin - ikke - 9th Jan, 2014 06:03 AM

Sweet, it works, thanks mk01!

There isn't such a "xbian addon repo" menu in the Xbian of mine with xbmc gotham alpha. But anyways, I used the downloaded zip you had at the xbian.brantje.com/addons url. That didn't install via addon menu -> install from zip file, it complaint about the zip file format being wrong. But manually copying the files into /usr/local/xbmc... dirs did the job! The mythtv works again. Great!

RE: PVR-Add-Ons - cmyth - Mythtv plugin - mk01 - 9th Jan, 2014 06:11 AM

it is preinstalled on image with B2. if you have upgrade from previous versions then it will be missing, yes.

RE: PVR-Add-Ons - cmyth - Mythtv plugin - ikke - 9th Jan, 2014 06:12 AM

I had it upgraded. How can I add it there?

RE: PVR-Add-Ons - cmyth - Mythtv plugin - mk01 - 9th Jan, 2014 06:40 AM

you was asking for steps to compile it. it is very simple and written on the git project page:

Code:
Start with
./bootstrap

To build all PVR add-ons as .zip archives:
./configure
make zip

[b]The build method described above excludes addons that depend on runtime libraries.[/b]

./configure --enable-addons-with-dependencies

- MythTV addon:
    Build dependencies:   libmysqlclient, boost (headers)
    Runtime dependencies: libmysqlclient
- IPTV Simple addon:
    Build dependencies:   zlib

you need to take the build with dependencies which needs libmysqlclient-dev installed and libboost-dev and zlib1g-dev. then for compiling you need build-essential, automake, autoconf, m4.

then you run

./bootstrap
./configure --enable-addons-with-dependencies
make zip

after 1h or so you will have all pvrs zips