Forum
[SOLVED] Powering on before TV - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Powering on before TV (/thread-1537.html)

Powering on before TV - Baz8755 - 25th Oct, 2013 03:48 PM

I have my Pi connected into my A/V which in turn feeds video to my TV.

My amp also controls the switching of power to my Pi so that when the amp is switch on the Pi gets powered up. However this does not necessarily mean that the TV will be on or that the amp has Pi selected as source.

This setup seems to be giving the Pi some issues in that it appears not to boot up and I often find I have to turn it off and on to get it to work.

So is there any way I can get my Xbian Pi to boot without the TV connected.

Cheers

Baz

RE: Powering on before TV - rikardo1979 - 25th Oct, 2013 06:07 PM

yes there is but this is the worst way to do it and I would not recommend to anyone as was discussed many times. Turning RPi ON/OFF without proper shutdown of the system and also turning it ON where no all devices are connected or ON is leads into the problem as the system is sett to autodetect all settings and turn the right things ON and set the right resolution, etc,etc...
So your way of doing it may lead to the HW malfunction or at least into the SW SD Card corruption.
Is there any way you leave your RPi simply on all the time? It will cost you nothing to have it running as it uses max 3W of electric which is less than your TV in standby mode.
Or at least to use different power source for it so you turn on your AVR/TV before you do your RPi

RE: Powering on before TV - Baz8755 - 27th Oct, 2013 06:42 PM

(25th Oct, 2013 06:07 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  yes there is but this is the worst way to do it and I would not recommend to anyone as was discussed many times. Turning RPi ON/OFF without proper shutdown of the system and also turning it ON where no all devices are connected or ON is leads into the problem as the system is sett to autodetect all settings and turn the right things ON and set the right resolution, etc,etc...
So your way of doing it may lead to the HW malfunction or at least into the SW SD Card corruption.
Is there any way you leave your RPi simply on all the time? It will cost you nothing to have it running as it uses max 3W of electric which is less than your TV in standby mode.
Or at least to use different power source for it so you turn on your AVR/TV before you do your RPi

Not quite the answer that was required but I found what I needed here

http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt#Video

And yes you are probably right about the powering down issue (I have now changed to powering from Tivo meaning it is permanently on).

RE: Powering on before TV - IriDium - 28th Oct, 2013 03:08 AM

Quote:My amp also controls the switching of power to my Pi so that when the amp is switch on the Pi gets powered up.

That sounds worrying - as I doubt your amp via a USB port has more than 500ma which is not enough for the RPi. This is most certainly the major issue. Get a dedicated PSU for the RPi and I think your troubles will be over.

Why don't you - like me - have the TV, AV, RPi (On a separate PSU) controlled via a single switch. Set Xbian to start TV and AV in CEC settings and ditto in reverse, to shutdown TV, AV and RPi.

All sorted - power on and everything is available - possibly Cool

RE: Powering on before TV - Baz8755 - 28th Oct, 2013 04:01 AM

So far I have had no problems powering from Virgin TiVo USB. I have even watched a couple of movies. Admittedly I don't have any peripherals plugged in

RE: Powering on before TV - rikardo1979 - 28th Oct, 2013 04:52 AM

(28th Oct, 2013 04:01 AM)Baz8755 Wrote:  So far I have had no problems powering from Virgin TiVo USB. I have even watched a couple of movies. Admittedly I don't have any peripherals plugged in

yeah you might be just OK, but as everyone I would highly recommend stable, good quality 5V at least 1A.
With this specs you should be pretty much safe and always skip power issue when troubleshoot Wink

RE: Powering on before TV - Baz8755 - 28th Oct, 2013 05:43 AM

I think I'll continue with TiVo USB but if I get any issues I'll switch power source

RE: Powering on before TV - IriDium - 29th Oct, 2013 03:04 AM

If it works, it works. However, erratic behaviour will occur if your electricity company lowers your supply voltage - which they will do in times of stress. (The POOR people!)

If Virgin follow the USB guidelines, it should only output 500ma - See Virgin media

I guess a lot depends on the manufacturer of your model.

The only way to be sure is to measure the current on startup.

You could also test it, by adding another USB device to the RPi (Say a Wifi dongle)

I would also check dmesg and see if there are any USB related errors.

Still if it works - Don't touch it Big Grin