Forum
Which way of accessing a source via NFS is better? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Which way of accessing a source via NFS is better? (/thread-165.html)

Which way of accessing a source via NFS is better? - doug - 2nd Jan, 2013 09:19 AM

Hi,
Is there any advantage (e.g., one accesses content faster, is less processor intensive, etc.) of using NFS by either:
  1. Automounting a share at startup in fstab and adding the source by selecting /root/path/to/nfs-foo in xbmc, or
  2. adding the source via the NFS menu item in xbmc?

Or are they the same?

Doug

RE: Which way of accessing a source via NFS is better? - CurlyMo - 2nd Jan, 2013 10:05 AM

They do the same, however mounting them with fstab makes the sources XBMC independent, which is easier for some people to manage.

RE: Which way of accessing a source via NFS is better? - doug - 2nd Jan, 2013 10:29 AM

Thanks. I'll be managing my content via a windows desktop, so I guess I'll go with #2.

RE: Which way of accessing a source via NFS is better? - brantje - 2nd Jan, 2013 08:57 PM

Option 3:
Shared sources

RE: Which way of accessing a source via NFS is better? - doug - 3rd Jan, 2013 10:42 AM

(2nd Jan, 2013 08:57 PM)brantje Wrote:  Option 3:
Shared sources
Look's interesting!

So to connect to my Windows HTPC sources, I'd do what is listed on github . com/xbianonpi/wiki/wiki/Shared-sources (links not working for me) on my Pi and change
"<to>SMB://192.168.1.x/xbmc/sources.xml</to>" to "<to>nfs://myWindowsIPAddress/c/Users.../xbmc/sources.xml</to>"