Forum
[PROBLEM] Streaming audio using Darkice and IceCast2 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Streaming audio using Darkice and IceCast2 (/thread-1724.html)

Streaming audio using Darkice and IceCast2 - Terry Gray - 4th Nov, 2013 11:57 AM

I am trying to stream audio from my Linux box using Banshee, Rythmbox, Clementine, etc, to my home theatre system which has an Xbian connected. I have managed to set up both Darkice and IceCast2 on the Linux PC but now I don't know how to access it with Xbian/XBMC. If it is something as simple as adding the stream as a music source, what is the format. I can't see the server under uPnP Servers, and I don't what format to add under websites. Can someone lend some insight?

RE: Streaming audio using Darkice and IceCast2 - IriDium - 5th Nov, 2013 02:56 AM

I don't know for sure, and the Web doesn't have much.

But I have found that debian packages are available for Darkice and Icecast2.

They are not installed by default in Xbian, so it may just be a case of installing them and then configuring them.

sudo apt-get install darkice

sudo apt-get install icecast2

See Configuring

Obviously, this will be outside of normal Xbian, so if it goes wrong, don't blame us, but we will try to help if we can.

RE: Streaming audio using Darkice and IceCast2 - Terry Gray - 5th Nov, 2013 05:32 AM

Sorry for any confusion...maybe I can clarify the situation: I have IceCast and Ices2 set up on my Linux PC which gives me an "internet radio" when I play my music library via Banshee, or any other media player. This "internet radio" is available to anyone on the local network simply by browsing the broadcast URL, in this case "http://192.168.2.XXX:8000/example1.ogg", the IP being that of my Linux PC, with a web browser. The audio format is Ogg/Vorbis. This all works quite well.

I have installed the IceCast plugin for Xbian but it sees no content when I enter the URL shown above, as evidenced by the empty file list displayed. Is this possibly due to Xbian not being able to handle Ogg/Vorbis content? Or is there another way of pointing to the local web address, other than through the IceCast plugin?

Thanks for any help/insight you might have!

(5th Nov, 2013 02:56 AM)IriDium Wrote:  I don't know for sure, and the Web doesn't have much.

But I have found that debian packages are available for Darkice and Icecast2.

They are not installed by default in Xbian, so it may just be a case of installing them and then configuring them.

sudo apt-get install darkice

sudo apt-get install icecast2

See Configuring

Obviously, this will be outside of normal Xbian, so if it goes wrong, don't blame us, but we will try to help if we can.

RE: Streaming audio using Darkice and IceCast2 - IriDium - 6th Nov, 2013 02:18 AM

To see if ogg files can be played, copy one to a USB drive, and see if it plays from there.

If ogg files are the standard for streaming, then it should be ok as the "internet radio" addon works fine.

send the output from xbmc.log and we'll see if there are any errors.

Found This so it looks like it works on XBMC - it' why it doesn't work on the RPi (or yours at least Confused)

RE: Streaming audio using Darkice and IceCast2 - f1vefour - 11th Nov, 2013 12:29 PM

A bit OT but if your streaming this from within your own LAN why not use UPnP?

I mean install something like ushare or minidlna on your Linux PC and simply use XBMC to play the content.