Forum
[SOLVED] 3TB USB3 External Storage - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Others (/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] 3TB USB3 External Storage (/thread-1732.html)

3TB USB3 External Storage - Aeefire - 7th Nov, 2013 05:03 AM

Hey guys,

I previously upgraded from my 1TB external storage to a "Intenso Memory Center" 3TB (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B007AG1V1Y/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with USB 3 at 5400 rpm.

My old HDD turned into sleep if it hasnt been used for a while, which was no problem. I actually don't know if this one does it too, because it's so much more silent. My RPi runs 24/h with Xbian 1.0 beta 1.1 (or something like that, latest version).

So this external storage is nearly full at 2.53/2.73 TB. So around 205 gb left. However, funny enough: I can't play most videos. Some seem to work, but most do not. On my ubuntu machine everything works.

With my old HDD was formatted in ext4 because I had better transfer rates over smb with ext4. So this one is too. Reformatting the HDD or going to NTFS is currently not really an option, as I have no where to put all the files to.

I'd love if you have an idea what reason that could have? I previously never had issues with fileformats etc. so I don't expect that's a reason, but I'd love to know more Smile

Thanks in advance Huh

RE: 3TB USB3 External Storage - rikardo1979 - 7th Nov, 2013 05:18 AM

turn on the debugging and get the log file,thats where you should start

RE: 3TB USB3 External Storage - Aeefire - 7th Nov, 2013 05:29 AM

(7th Nov, 2013 05:18 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  turn on the debugging and get the log file,thats where you should start

Ah, that was so obvious that I didnt think of it.

Sooo, what I forgot to say is, that I can't even open the folders.
Log file says "Error opening, <dirpath>"
or
"DoWork - trying to extract thumb from video file <filepath>"
"InputStream: Error opening, <filepath>"

The messages aren't exactly helpful.

any ideas?

edit: i just thought of a new thing, might it be wrong set permissions?
i just run a ls -l in one of the folders, which contain some of the non-working folders.

I get output like this:
drwx------ 2 1000 1000 4096 Oct 21 2012 zwoelfmonate
drwx------ 2 1000 1000 4096 Feb 5 2011 Zwölf Männer für ein Jahr
shouldnt there be the names of the users owning the file or at least "root"?

lol... funny that u detect such things just after you write the forum post where you are crying for help.

a chown -R myuser mediafolder/ did the job. it's working again.

RE: 3TB USB3 External Storage - IriDium - 8th Nov, 2013 03:33 AM

Glad you got it working - it's always the simpler things that are harder to find.

Can you change the status from Problem to Solved by editing your first post. Tnx