Forum
Is it necessary to boot from USB? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Is it necessary to boot from USB? (/thread-1775.html)

Is it necessary to boot from USB? - burgertime - 17th Nov, 2013 07:19 AM

Just got a Pi. I installed RaspBMC and it randomly rebooted so that had to go. I found Xbian and installed using SD card but just after the first boot up, I was browsing videos in an addon called KidzPlace and Xbian dropped to TTY and said Xbian login:

weird... I've got a brand new Sandisk 16GB class 10 HC ultra 30MB.s SD card.

I feel like my experiences with Linux in the past (ubuntu and arch) have proven to be amazingly stable. I'm baffled why I'm having stability issues with this.

Anyhow... I wonder if it is necessary to employ a USB stick with my setup. If so, are there OFFICIAL step by step instructions on doing so? I saw the USB thread but honestly, at this point, I'm rather discombobulated and need something straight forward.

Thanks!

RE: Is it necessary to boot from USB? - rikardo1979 - 17th Nov, 2013 07:32 AM

I would see this issues is caused by PSU, as the XBMC is more power demanding than Linux OS systems

RE: Is it necessary to boot from USB? - burgertime - 17th Nov, 2013 08:09 AM

(17th Nov, 2013 07:32 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  I would see this issues is caused by PSU, as the XBMC is more power demanding than Linux OS systems

really? odd, I'm just using a micro USB cable and the wall plug I bought with my model b. you mean maybe a defective pi?

Re: RE: Is it necessary to boot from USB? - f1vefour - 17th Nov, 2013 02:42 PM

(17th Nov, 2013 08:09 AM)burgertime Wrote:  
(17th Nov, 2013 07:32 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  I would see this issues is caused by PSU, as the XBMC is more power demanding than Linux OS systems

really? odd, I'm just using a micro USB cable and the wall plug I bought with my model b. you mean maybe a defective pi?

No he means a weak power supply, the Pi does best with a 1+ amp 5v power power supply (adapter).

RE: Is it necessary to boot from USB? - IriDium - 18th Nov, 2013 05:22 AM

1) Check the output of your power supply - it must be 1amp or more. A normal phone charger is usually 500ma which is not enough.
2) Check the quality of your lead - all things are not equal - read USB leads
3) Try a slower SD card - class 4 or 6 (2G should be enough) Some class 10 ultras can cause problems.
4) Install Xbian 1 Beta 2 Beta2 and try that.
5) Send output from dmesg (See my signature Please read before you post)
6) USB installation is simple if you are on Beta 2 - already in ssh xbian-config