Forum
Mac installer - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Mac installer (/thread-1814.html)

Mac installer - rantsa - 27th Nov, 2013 05:15 PM

Beware, the Mac installer's destination list is flimsy and unclear. I accidentally installed [Raspbian] Xbian on my external USB hard drive instead of the sd card. Lost 1,5 TB of movie and tv-series recordings.
In Plex forum I found out that I am not the only one. It seems I won't be needing a media player for a while...

Read this thread before using the installer: https://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/64326-rasplex-installers/
Command line is highly recommended at the moment.

-sam

Edit: added the link and corrected the OS

RE: Mac installer - rikardo1979 - 27th Nov, 2013 08:12 PM

1st of all I'm not sure you are talking about XBian cos you mentioned Raspbian
2nd There should be a warning when you installing XBian, if is on Windows or Mac

And as with all operations with multiple drives connected, you should always be careful and you should know what you do.

RE: Mac installer - rantsa - 27th Nov, 2013 10:48 PM

1) Sorry, I meant Xbian. I was a bit confused after losing all those movies.

2) Ideally the destination menu should list all drives with names. I'm sure I picked the card "NO NAME." If the dialog had mentioned something else than the sd card, I'd have aborted.
The installer looked kind of "nervous" when it was running, can't describe it any better.

I'm scanning the hd with a recovery app. Estimated time 136 hours. I'll probably install Xbian with Terminal.

-sam

RE: Mac installer - rikardo1979 - 27th Nov, 2013 11:26 PM

we are really sorry for your lost m8,and you understand it wasnt intensionally. We can have a look if there is a more we can improve so such thing wont happen again.

RE: Mac installer - mk01 - 1st Dec, 2013 11:19 AM

@rantsa

what was the filesystem on you usb hdd?

if it was ext2/3/4 you can recover most of the files easily (assuming you just overwritten ~600MB of the drive + changed partition table from one partition to two).

Mac installer - Koenkk - 9th Dec, 2013 08:33 PM

The installer is now updated, its easier to determine where xbian will be installed to now