Forum
[HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG (/thread-1850.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - arie_papa - 23rd Dec, 2013 11:59 PM

(21st Dec, 2013 04:04 AM)mk01 Wrote:  @skinlee78

can you please post output

apt-cache policy xbian-package-kernel

I'm sorry, I have deleted the install and did the opposite: install lxde on a xbian image.
At start I had simulair problems that my video's didn't play, but I notice when I did stop the lightdm service I could play video's normally. After a few reboots the problem did disappear (maybe startup sequence?). Now I can login to the lxde desktop, logout, and return to xbmc, and default XBMC starts, so I can play with the gui, and my wife and kid doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to play some movies Smile.

Btw, I have installed freenx server on the Pi on the Xbian image, so I can remotely access the lxde desktop without log out and in again Smile

If I give the raspbian solution a shot in the future, I will put the output over here when I notice the same problem.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - mk01 - 24th Dec, 2013 01:47 AM

do a how-to, compare to "Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG" - underline that the point / target is ~ same. explain how xbmc/lxde is switching between (no reboots, no hacking) + small elaboration about - as users need in howtos.

can you prepare something like this ? in a week / two / three to put on wiki ?

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 24th Dec, 2013 02:08 AM

@mk01 Is the xbian-config Packages -> System -> Raspbian supposed to work? I just tried it and it just hung - No Cpu, no I/O nothing.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - mk01 - 24th Dec, 2013 02:38 AM

(24th Dec, 2013 02:08 AM)IriDium Wrote:  @mk01 Is the xbian-config Packages -> System -> Raspbian supposed to work? I just tried it and it just hung - No Cpu, no I/O nothing.

I'm sure you don;t want to read the docs on page 1 of this thread (post 1 point 4 would it be).

raspbian package is just tiny (1k) deb unpacking some raspbian system related configs to into xbian dir.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 24th Dec, 2013 02:51 AM

Well it's not obvious :-)

If I've done it - others will.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - mk01 - 24th Dec, 2013 02:57 AM

yes, i should rename it.

renamed to xbian-package-rasp-switching

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 24th Dec, 2013 03:18 AM

(24th Dec, 2013 02:57 AM)mk01 Wrote:  yes, i should rename it.

renamed to xbian-package-rasp-switching
You're a star (I was going to put peach - but didn't know if Albanian is similar to Slovakian Angel)

May Santa, Nick, Mum&Dad (Insert gift giving Dude here) bring you whatever your heart(s) desires - a new wand, a ID10T thermonuclear destructor, a T34 or maybe lower expectations - a puppy Heart or maybe a cubox Smile

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - arie_papa - 24th Dec, 2013 07:59 AM

(24th Dec, 2013 01:47 AM)mk01 Wrote:  do a how-to, compare to "Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG" - underline that the point / target is ~ same. explain how xbmc/lxde is switching between (no reboots, no hacking) + small elaboration about - as users need in howtos.

can you prepare something like this ? in a week / two / three to put on wiki ?

Well my target was always, "have a remote desktop" while not spoiling the local RPi Xbian mediaplayer for my wife and kid.

Just be aware of the power of the RPI, it is impossible to use a remote desktop connection while using it as a mediaplayer localy. But, because it is my second RPi, stationed at the bedroom, I hope I can use it during the day as a remote desktop (lxde) computer, and play some nice music, video's during bedtime. Today I've got it finally up and running (the freenx part), so I'm not sure how stable it is. Another problem is that (as far as I know) the official mirrors of nxserver from nomachine are down because they have upgraded to V4. I believe I have found an official fedora source mirror a few months ago, so I really have to go back all the steps to reproduce. The latest problem, Nomachine only made V4 available for free downloads, where I'm using V3.5 as the viewer. There is an open client available, but I didn't test yet.

I'm willing to write a wiki, but as said before, I'm sure there are some problems to reproduce / in the future, which I'm not aware of.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 24th Dec, 2013 11:40 PM

Raspbian install onto SD card.

My results!

Step 1) apt-get update gave warning

W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://xbian.brantje.com/ stable/main armhf Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/xbian.brantje.com_dists_stable_main_binary-armhf_Packages)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

Ignored.

Edited /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbian.list NOT /etc/apt/sources.list (This step should be before the apt-get clean;apt-get upgrade

Step 2) Got error about package not found.

So did apt-get clean; apt-get update. Then it worked. The clean is required as we have modified the package details.

If you get error (1) it’s probably because you edited the wrong sources file.

Step 3) What cmdline.txt and config.txt should look like should be in post 1, not post 9!

Checked cmdline.txt – rootfs and root=LABEL were present.

Rebooted

Started VERY quickly.

So changed cmdline.txt to that in post 9

dwc_otg.fiq_fix_enable=1 sdhci-bcm2708.sync_after_dma=0 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=btrfs rootwait logo.nologo splash partswap

Removed quiet and loglevel

Rebooted.

Wouldn’t boot.

Kernel panic - Not syncing No init found!

Post 11 states initramfs initramfs.gz 0x00a00000 should be in cmdline.txt – surely that should be config.txt

That’s as far as I got……

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - mk01 - 25th Dec, 2013 02:13 AM

yes, definitely initramfs.gz is config.txt

edited should be /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbian.list as it in the post. that file is predefined with all three repos, two are commented out (staging & devel).

config.txt & cmdline.txt were part of the steps until the installation & conversion of fs was needed to be started "launch" manually.

as Raspbian is not using initramfs, for users it is not easy to edit in the right way and success rate was really low. are not used to those files… that's why all do-it-once processes / changes asked to perform manually by the user has been implemented into XBian packages directly and are triggered automatically if needed. this is valid since December.

as you install kernel, initram is installed as supporting tool. as initramfs is generated, it is added to config.txt. then cmdline.txt is updated - fstype is changed to btrfs.

user is informed and is asked to reboot to convert filesystem. as you reboot convert starts. after finish, fstab is updated and cmdline.txt updated again to contain info about subvolumes and proper subvol to boot from.

your kernel command line is missing it too: "rootflags=subvol=root/@,autodefrag,compress=lzo"
(this will be the reason for not being able to mount root fs)

but yes you are right, we should update opening post again.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 25th Dec, 2013 02:27 AM

@mk01 I've aborted that attempt - but as I have a good .img file of Xbian Beta 2 with all the updates it's easy to retry.

After the kernel install - there was no message about a reboot and the cmdline.txt and config.txt looked normal.

There was no autodefrag,compress=lzo I'm sure. Also mine was console=tty1 whereas yours was tty2.

Probably best to post on page 1 the cmdline.txt and config.txt so there is no confusion. I'd also remove quiet and loglevel=0 as the "black screen" was not a black screen - just no output on the screen. This will make it easier to see any errors and show if something is happening.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - mk01 - 25th Dec, 2013 10:14 AM

@IriDium

and you for sure had devel and staging repos added to the raspbian install ? as the packages I'm talking about are only there.

…..

just checking the code inside initramfs post install update scripts and it is run if initramfs.gz line is missing from /boot/config.txt

this gets started:
Code:
echo " SETTING rootfstype=btrfs in cmdline.txt. This will start filesystem conversion during next reboot. As soon as DPKG and APT processes terminate, reboot your RPI "
grep -q 'rootfstype=btrfs' /boot/cmdline.txt || sed -i 's/rootfstype=[a-zA-Z0-9]*/rootfstype=btrfs/' /boot/cmdline.txt

so if your raspbian was on USB this didn't get started - will change the condition - have to think about as current solution would even change valid NFS root install.

realized the tty2 just forgot to mention. during the package preparation I have even not considered this as problem as normally (meaning NOT YOU BEING TESTING Smile)) ) after this stage, you reboot, ext4 gets converted, RPI booted and with next step installing xbian-* other packages this would still before next reboot get replaced with native XBian cmdline.txt

will poke you after I modify the conditions and repost package. and will rewrite opening post as soon as I reflash my Raspbian card to stock img and rerun the process - as still can be possible that with other updates we posted something more on the steps (or just texting) should be changed.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 26th Dec, 2013 12:54 AM

(25th Dec, 2013 10:14 AM)mk01 Wrote:  @IriDium

and you for sure had devel and staging repos added to the raspbian install ? as the packages I'm talking about are only there.
Sure did which was why I got the error

W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://xbian.brantje.com/ stable/main armhf Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/xbian.brantje.com_dists_stable_main_binary-armhf_Packages)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

I guess it I removed xbian from /etc/apt/sources.list I wouldn't get this warning.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - mk01 - 26th Dec, 2013 07:14 AM

then I would ask you what kind of RASPBIAN your test scenario is if apparently it is beyond .

I finished updating the small changes and uploaded to repos. Still all three are needed as Enabled - but more or less because a lot of new functions comming from XBian.

Going to update 1st post but to resume in general:
1)
boot raspbian
2)
download XBian package repo containing apt sources definitions and signing keys
3)
enable all repos & refresh packages
4)
install -xbianhome package as first and alone
5)
install -kernel. this will install initramfs-tools and splash as well. after initramfs is regenrated on /boot, cmdline.txt and config.txt are modded automatically, user is asked to reboot
6)
fsck & convert is done. if successfully, fstab is adapted automatically, as cmdline.txt again. system is automatically rebooted.
7)
raspbian boots as before, we can continue with installation.
-update and -rasp-switching should be requested.
8)
point 7 triggers rest of XBian packages, together with some updates to system itself.

reboot. depending on what is set to autoload:
LXDE as well as XBMC auto => LXDE loads desktop with user PI. logout/login as user xbian delivers XBMC in few seconds. XBMC exit is return to LXDE.

LXDE no start XBMC auto => XBian like experience.

no LXDE no XBMC set to auto => normal tty terminals - possibility to start on or the other through xbmc or lightdm jobs respectively.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - mk01 - 26th Dec, 2013 10:47 AM

UPDATED first post