Forum
[HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG (/thread-1850.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - nypete20 - 15th Jan, 2014 07:28 AM

Hey,

I tried to install xbian 2 days ago on my raspbian installation using your instructions from the first post.

But after the restart my raspberry ran into a kernel panic.
I found here an extension for cmdline.txt that extends it with "rootflags=subvol=root/@,autodefrag,compress=lzo"
Now the boot process aborts with an error message "fsck.xbian not found" and throws a shell to me.

What should I do to complete the installation or at least to get my rasbian working?

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 16th Jan, 2014 03:35 AM

@nypete20

Sounds like you missed a critical process.

Can you provide a screen shot of the error message and paste the cmdline.txt and config.txt files.

What Raspbian image did you initially boot from? Date.

If all fails, can you provide output from all the commands you issue and their output via pastebin.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - mk01 - 16th Jan, 2014 06:32 PM

@nypete20

did you enable STAGING and DEVEL repos as well? as in point 1. opening post? in older packages there was typo providing "fsck,xbian" file instead of "fsck.xbian" (comma instead of dot).

in that shell you are dropped into try
Code:
mv /sbin/fsck,xbian /sbin/fsck.xbian

if this doesn't help (no file found), create dummy fsck as follows:

Code:
cat >/sbin/fsck.xbian <<\EOF
> #!/bin/sh
> exit 0
> EOF

(just type what you see. then exit the shell or reboot. raspbian should boot normally and you can continue with the packages)

(14th Jan, 2014 07:27 AM)roelofpieter Wrote:  And indeed, the filesystem isn't btrfs so the error isn't that strange, but why isn't anybody else seing this? Am I missing something? I should be able to go through the script on a fresh installed raspbian installation shouldn't I?

I fixed the appearance of the errors - if you retry after apt-get update, it should be ok.

if you still have the semi-configured apt system, do this:

Code:
sudo nano  /var/lib/dpkg/info/xbian-package-config-shell.postinst

go to the end of file and on new line (as last line) put "exit 0". save with ctrl+x, run "dpkg --configure -a". then you can continue.

(11th Jan, 2014 02:02 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Noticed in final install

status: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused

I also think that a restore of a backup erases the pi home directory!! Just double checked - it does!!

After that xbian user just takes you to a blank lxde screen not XBMC.

the pi user thing would be quite interesting, I have to check. as /home is subvolume and the backup file is nothing else as exported snapshot (image) of this subvolume.

during "backup" and "restore" (export and import) there is no option or tool to manipulate with folders or files. simply it is even not possible to see what is inside. it is pure data/metadata stream.

but I know that your presence always makes something to fall apart Blush

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - gobracket - 16th Jan, 2014 06:59 PM

Hi,
Trying to install and get this error,

Code:
Processing triggers for xbian-package-initramfs-tools ...
grep: /boot/config.txt: No such file or directory
cat: /boot/config.txt: No such file or directory
SETTING rootfstype=btrfs in cmdline.txt. This will start filesystem conversion during next reboot. As soon as DPKG and APT processes terminate, reboot your RPI
grep: /boot/cmdline.txt: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /boot/cmdline.txt: No such file or directory

and then after reboot, i found that
Code:
Root partition LABEL=xbian-root-btrfs missing
moung: mounting LABEL=xbian-root-btrfs on /rootfs failed: No such device
mount: mount point /rootfs/proc does not exist
mount: mount point /rootfs/boot does not exist
mount: mount point /rootfs/dev does not exist
mount: mount point /rootfs/sys does not exist
mount: mount point /rootfs/lib/modules does not exist

I'm using raspbian fresh install from noobs
Can I manually edit config.txt and cmdline.txt ? What should i add / change ?

Thanks

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 16th Jan, 2014 10:28 PM

(16th Jan, 2014 06:32 PM)mk01 Wrote:  but I know that your presence always makes something to fall apart Blush

The backup was from a "pure" Xbian system and retrofitted to Rasbian/Xbian - so I'm not suprised. Maybe the backup needs to only backup/restore /home/xbian and not /home.

(16th Jan, 2014 06:59 PM)gobracket Wrote:  I'm using raspbian fresh install from noobs
Can I manually edit config.txt and cmdline.txt ? What should i add / change ?

Thanks
I'd forget NOOBS - this was never tested on NOOBS and has a different file structure (I believe).

Install a fresh imgae of RASPBIAN and start again.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 16th Jan, 2014 11:43 PM

As there seems to be some confusion. Here are the commands and expected results.

Up to and including apt-get install xbian-package-kernel Post 1

[resize in progress - will start Raspbian when finished]

After apt-get install xbian-update xbian-package-rasp-switching Post 2

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - mk01 - 17th Jan, 2014 12:40 AM

(16th Jan, 2014 10:28 PM)IriDium Wrote:  The backup was from a "pure" Xbian system and retrofitted to Rasbian/Xbian - so I'm not suprised. Maybe the backup needs to only backup/restore /home/xbian and not /home.

yes, mystery solved.

sooner or later we will have to migrate from subvolume /home to subvolume /home/xbian or even /home/xbian/.xbmc as I realized that /home/(xbian) is used also as tmp storage for downloader packages.

making backups unnecessary big and (after some longer period) restoring rubbish (tmp files long gone).

with 1.0 release

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 17th Jan, 2014 12:47 AM

One thing I have noticed that when playing movies, you may get errors like this one.

14:26:19 T:2969564224 ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::DecoderEventHandler OMX.broadcom.video_decode - OMX_ErrorInsufficientResources, insufficient resources

Unless you need more resoures in Raspbian
I'd suggest switching to Xbian overclock and adding gpu_mem_512=256 to /boot/config.txt then large movies will play

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - mk01 - 17th Jan, 2014 12:51 AM

@IriDium

is this "classic" omxplayer ERROR meaning just notification, or playback won't start at all ?

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 17th Jan, 2014 01:02 AM

Xbian-config - Not working

15:00:59 T:2790257728 ERROR: File "/usr/local/share/xbmc/addons/plugin.xbianconfig/resources/lib/xbmcguie/virtualControl.py", line 51, in __init__
15:00:59 T:2790257728 ERROR: self.onInit()
15:00:59 T:2790257728 ERROR: File "/usr/local/share/xbmc/addons/plugin.xbianconfig/categories/30_packages.py", line 167, in onInit
15:00:59 T:2790257728 ERROR: self.packages.append(PackageCategory(package,self._onPackage,self._onGetMore))
15:00:59 T:2790257728 ERROR: File "/usr/local/share/xbmc/addons/plugin.xbianconfig/categories/30_packages.py", line 28, in __init__
15:00:59 T:2790257728 ERROR: self.available = int(tmp[1])
15:00:59 T:2790257728 ERROR: IndexError: list index out of range
15:00:59 T:2790257728 ERROR: Exception in xbianSettingWindow None
15:00:59 T:3040837632 ERROR: ClearBlock: Trying to clear non existent block /usr/local/share/xbmc/addons/plugin.xbianconfig
15:00:59 T:2790257728 WARNING: The python script "/usr/local/share/xbmc/addons/plugin.xbianconfig/default.py" has left several classes in memory that we couldn't clean up. The classes include: Addon

(17th Jan, 2014 12:51 AM)mk01 Wrote:  @IriDium

is this "classic" omxplayer ERROR meaning just notification, or playback won't start at all ?

Playback would not work - audio but no video. Only managed to get it to work on a 1G MP4 file.

Making the changes mentioned enabled a 10G DTS movies to be played on my PC monitor so no DTS encoding!!

Added a USB3 drive. Was picked up in DMESG and is noticed in Videos, but when I select it - XBMC returns
"Path not found or invalid"

df -h
/dev/sda1 932G 99G 833G 11% /media/Seagate Expansion Drive
xbmc.log
15:29:53 T:3041005568 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting /media/Seagate Expansion Drive/
15:29:53 T:3041005568 ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(/media/Seagate Expansion Drive/) failed
mount
/dev/sda1 on /media/Seagate Expansion Drive type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,b​lksize=4096)

Works fine on a Pure" Xbian Beta 2

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - mk01 - 17th Jan, 2014 02:08 AM

(17th Jan, 2014 01:02 AM)IriDium Wrote:  self.packages.append(PackageCategory(package,self._onPackage,self._onGetMore))
15:00:59 T:2790257728 ERROR: File "/usr/local/share/xbmc/addons/plugin.xbianconfig/categories/30_packages.py", line 28, in __init__
15:00:59 T:2790257728 ERROR: self.available = int(tmp[1])

if you do before ?
Code:
sudo xbian-config packages updatedb

(17th Jan, 2014 01:02 AM)IriDium Wrote:  15:29:53 T:3041005568 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting /media/Seagate Expansion Drive/
15:29:53 T:3041005568 ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(/media/Seagate Expansion Drive/) failed
mount
/dev/sda1 on /media/Seagate Expansion Drive type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,b​lksize=4096)

is it browsable with user xbian from shell ?

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 17th Jan, 2014 02:33 AM

(17th Jan, 2014 02:08 AM)mk01 Wrote:  if you do before ?
Code:
sudo xbian-config packages updatedb

Returns 0
is it browsable with user xbian from shell ?

User Xbian is blocked - last time I changed the password the Rasbian/XBMC switch failed to work.

Browsing with user "Pi" gets permission denied
Root is OK - shows everything.
Drive is mounted as xbian:xbian as are all of the files.

From root going su -l xbian I can browse the files on the disk.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - mk01 - 17th Jan, 2014 02:37 AM

and if you try to browse by adding for instance new source ? as browsing ROOT DIR, then MEDIA, then SEAGA… ?

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 17th Jan, 2014 02:43 AM

(17th Jan, 2014 02:37 AM)mk01 Wrote:  and if you try to browse by adding for instance new source ? as browsing ROOT DIR, then MEDIA, then SEAGA… ?
I tried that - it showed up and I could add it but nothing was shown when I tried to browse it.

Will have another play tomorrow to see what I can deduce.
It's available via ssh at the moment but not a screen.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - mk01 - 17th Jan, 2014 03:15 AM

@Iri

can you maybe post xbmc.log from very beginning until the error?