Forum
[HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG (/thread-1850.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 17th Jan, 2014 03:47 AM

(17th Jan, 2014 03:15 AM)mk01 Wrote:  @Iri

can you maybe post xbmc.log from very beginning until the error?
Will try tomorrow but I'm pretty sure there was nothing significant.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 17th Jan, 2014 03:35 PM

(17th Jan, 2014 03:47 AM)IriDium Wrote:  
(17th Jan, 2014 03:15 AM)mk01 Wrote:  @Iri

can you maybe post xbmc.log from very beginning until the error?
Will try tomorrow but I'm pretty sure there was nothing significant.

Ok - Tried today after a fresh reboot and all is working as it should Huh Will keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 17th Jan, 2014 06:50 PM

SSH Xbian-config - backup

After starting the backup, the whole system freezes. Unable to access Xbian, ssh or sign in again.
You can however ping the system - but that is all. Repeated twice with same results.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - mk01 - 17th Jan, 2014 08:22 PM

backuphome or xbianclone

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 17th Jan, 2014 09:56 PM

(17th Jan, 2014 08:22 PM)mk01 Wrote:  backuphome or xbianclone
Backup home
Did bother trying the clone just yet Big Grin

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - gobracket - 18th Jan, 2014 04:24 PM

Finally successfully install xbian on raspbian using 2014-01-07 version.
Thanks a lot for this how-to

O yeah, 1 more thing,
Is it possible to create a desktop shortcut in raspbian that will direcly load to the xbmc ? (without filling the 'xbian' username) ?

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - mk01 - 19th Jan, 2014 10:51 AM

(17th Jan, 2014 09:56 PM)IriDium Wrote:  Backup home
Did bother trying the clone just yet Big Grin

it was anyway silly question as both functions use functionalities of RO snapshot and export as data stream. if one is freezing, second freezing as well.

but found the problem. it happens when btrfs internally warning or error. it want to send it to the user via BUG() interface and this will fail. and because this is very deep in the kernel, we are done.

but was patching kernel btrfs sources since yesterday and have non-crashing version. unfortunately sometimes there is random "csum" error -> this will make the operation fail (it is still the same "random" error but now it will not freeze kernel).

(18th Jan, 2014 04:24 PM)gobracket Wrote:  Is it possible to create a desktop shortcut in raspbian that will direcly load to the xbmc ? (without filling the 'xbian' username) ?

i will look into it

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 20th Jan, 2014 05:10 AM

(19th Jan, 2014 10:51 AM)mk01 Wrote:  but found the problem. it happens when btrfs internally warning or error. it want to send it to the user via BUG() interface and this will fail. and because this is very deep in the kernel, we are done.

but was patching kernel btrfs sources since yesterday and have non-crashing version. unfortunately sometimes there is random "csum" error -> this will make the operation fail (it is still the same "random" error but now it will not freeze kernel).

Oh well at least we have found the fault and the reason (and it's now documented). Solution.... well probably quite difficult and not a high priority.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - gobracket - 25th Jan, 2014 01:22 PM

Hi, would like to ask, how to set this setting :

manual LXDE, auto XBMC => XBian like experience. System boot directly into XBMC, you can exit XBMC to console, or reboot or shutdown directly from XBMC menu.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - mk01 - 25th Jan, 2014 01:36 PM

you have to install xbian-package-rasp-switching

root@debian-imx6:/usr/local/lib/xbmc# apt-cache show xbian-package-rasp-switching
Package: xbian-package-rasp-switching
Version: 1.0.1
Description: Enables XWindows for pi user, XBMC for xbian.
Description-md5: 9bc104d203d627fa4faa8f0f25ed6a5c

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - Xbianfan - 4th Feb, 2014 11:53 AM

First: Really really nice, I always dreamed about using xbian and rasbian together.

But: Is there any way to prevent the filesystem of getting btrfs? I my opinion btrfs is not that stable, I lost a lot of data after a fail with this filesystem.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - mk01 - 4th Feb, 2014 04:07 PM

yes,
during install when you are asked to reboot to convert, open cmdline.txt and revert btrfs changes. simply change
Code:
rootfstype=ext4 rootflags=

reboot. without btrfs being specified, autoconvert wont run. and during updates (and updates to cmdline.txt) if fstype!=btrfs, cmdline.txt is left as is - so this is only time you have to care about.

of course you will be taken away some nice XBians functions, but otherwise you should not be faced with problems. can be that still some scripts or deb packages helper scripts contain hard coded some btrfs references, just report back please for us to fix. but none of such "errors" should cause dpkg or apt-get error.

(25th Jan, 2014 01:22 PM)gobracket Wrote:  Hi, would like to ask, how to set this setting :

manual LXDE, auto XBMC => XBian like experience. System boot directly into XBMC, you can exit XBMC to console, or reboot or shutdown directly from XBMC menu.

easily, ...

go to "services" management in xbian-config and disable autostart of lightdm. report back please as for this was more changes needed to code of upstart scripts and (which was done), but there was no mileage to consider it fully ok (or even not ok).

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - raspi - 10th Feb, 2014 03:03 AM

Hello,

I'm trying from yesterday to follow these steps with no luck.
After having some problems with my SDCARD (sudo apt-get install xbian-package-kernel just stuck at some step...), I moved to a boot system from usb external disk (I followed this excellent french article http://www.framboise314.fr/booter-le-raspberry-pi-sur-un-disque-dur-usb/).

My raspberry is a 256 M version.

So I have a SDCARD for the boot loader and my rootfs is on usb disk /dev/sda2 (formatted on ext4).
I installed the last availabale raspbian image from 07-Jan-2014.

Everything go ok now until the conversion step (last successful step is sudo apt-get install xbian-package-kernel; sudo reboot).

After the reboot, the system convert the partition /dev/sda2 to btrfs and then when it automatticaly reboot again I got plenty of messages rm can't remove: /proc/... Operation not permitted ... and then Kernel panic
Terminal
Switching root
/Init: line 209: can't open /rootfs/dev/console: no such file
Kernel panic: -not syncing: Attempting to kill init! exit code 0X00000200

BTW I observed the on post 1 is not anymore necessary to activate staging and devel repository. (The procedure goes until the end - no missing packages).
I precise that I tried to follow this procedure with both only stable or with devel staging, stable repos.
Both lead me to the same kernel panic.

Hope someone could help me!
Thank's

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 10th Feb, 2014 03:23 AM

I have a feeling you are complicating the issue.

Install first onto the SD card, when the process is complete and running, THEN move to the USB drive via xbian-config.

If you still have problems, then it might be because of 256M. Check the mem values in /boot/config.txt

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - raspi - 10th Feb, 2014 03:45 AM

(10th Feb, 2014 03:23 AM)IriDium Wrote:  I have a feeling you are complicating the issue.

Install first onto the SD card, when the process is complete and running, THEN move to the USB drive via xbian-config.

If you still have problems, then it might be because of 256M. Check the mem values in /boot/config.txt

Hi,

I think that my SDCard has to be replaced due to the number of try.
I'm not able anymore to follow the procedure on SDCard only due to apt-get install which get stuck at xbian-package-kernel.

If you have any suggestion....

With the usb hdd partition this works. What I can say for sure is that the rm ... operation not permitted were obtained on the Sdcard full installation too in one of my lasts try.

I'll try without converting the partition type and watch also the memory split and get back with the results.

Thanks

By default I don't have any memory config in the config.txt.

Is this normal ?

Terminal
# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
#disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# for more options see http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt