Forum
[HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG (/thread-1850.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - raspi - 12th Feb, 2014 08:45 AM

Hello,

I have finally installed on the sdcard by keeping filesystem on ext4 (waiting for another sdcard and I ll give a try with btrfs).

On the first boot after the automatic restart generate after the installation of xbian-update and switching package( last command), I got a message "Freeing kernel memory 132K ...".
After 1-2 min the boot go further and finally I'm able to login.

But the next manual reboot/shutdown, I got the same message "Freeing kernel memory 132K ..." and after waiting 1-2 min again, the prompt show on the tv (hdmi) but it disappears quickly (about 5 sec after) and I'm no longer able to login.

Do someone know what happening ?

Terminal
cmdline.txt
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait

Terminal
cmdline.new
telnet zswap.enabled=1 zswap.compressor=lz4 sdhci-bcm2708.sync_after_dma=0 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootflags=subvol=root/@,thread_pool=2,autodefrag,compress=lzo,commit=5 rootfstype=btrfs rootwait smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N elevator=cfq logo.nologo quiet noswap loglevel=0 mod_scsi.scan=sync partswap startevent=mountall splash nohdparm --startup-event mountall

Terminal
config.txt
#initramfs initramfs.gz 0x00a00000
# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
#disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# for more options see http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt
emmc_pll_core=0
initial_turbo=3

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - IriDium - 13th Feb, 2014 05:54 AM

@raspi - I've no idea why you're having an issue - as I said before maybe because of only 256M.

I assume you followed the steps exactly one by one and didn't try anything "clever" or different.

Try putting gpu_mem_256=100 in config.txt and rebooting.

See if that improves things.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - arie_papa - 15th Jul, 2014 09:00 PM

I have a Raspberry Pi model B (512 mb) with a small SD boot card (128 mb) and the rest of the filesystem is placed on a USB stick (8 gb). I'm running Raspbian for a year now using it as a remote NX server.
I just upgraded to Raspbian Jessie which went fine.

I really want to use the Raspberry Pi besides the NX server also as a Xbian media center.

Is it likely that the installation steps will succeed with this setup (usb stick + Jessie)?
I've tried the installation steps half a year ago and it never succeeded and left me with a broken setup.

I surely will make a dd image of my usb stick, but I'm still a bit worried.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - Pingu - 20th Sep, 2014 04:30 AM

Hi, I just bought my first Raspberry Pi B+ and wanted to try Raspbian and Xbian together. I followed your instructions but now my Pi doesn't boot. I did this things:
1. Installed 2014-09-09-wheezy-raspbian.img
2. Updated raspi-config, updated location and keyboard settings, ran apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade, so that I got latest packages.
3. I installed lsb-release because otherwise I got error during dpkg.
4. Then I downloaded and installed xbian-package-repo_1.0.3-1_armhf.deb and followed your instructions from 1st post.

After step 3, Pi doesn't boot. There is no green light blinking, only red. After step 3 my cmdline.txt looks like this:
Code:
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=btrfs elevator=deadline rootwait

and config.txt like this:
Code:
initramfs initramfs.gz  0x1000000
# For more options and information see
# http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt.md
# Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
#disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

I only see colored square and then nothing. Is it possible that kernel.img got corrupted?
My power suply is ok, because when I installed only Xbian or only Raspbian they worked and I could use them.

Did I do something wrong? Did this occured because update and upgrade of Raspbian? Is it possible that latest Raspbian .img and Xbian .deb are not compatible?

Thanks for any feedback.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - f1vefour - 20th Sep, 2014 06:34 AM

Try commenting out the initramfs line from your config.txt.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - Pingu - 20th Sep, 2014 05:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it doesn't work. Still can't boot.
If I'm not mistaken, in this step it shoul resize and convert, right? So indicator that something is going on is blinking green light, or should it also print some info on screen? Just so that I know what to expect.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - fishersam - 21st Sep, 2014 04:40 AM

I'm using a raspberry pi B rev2 with the same raspbian image (2014-09-09) and it doesn't work for me too.
I followed the instructions (1st post) and get as far as step 2,
but when I try to perform step 3 my rpi refuses to boot.
I tried to fix this by copying the initramfs.gz file from xbian rc3 into the boot partition (this file was somehow missing), but although it started the fs-conversion it still wasn't able to complete it.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - Pingu - 21st Sep, 2014 06:48 PM

In my /boot partition is also initramfs.gz missing. I tried playing around with different cmdline.txt configuration but without success.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - xwdxel - 30th Sep, 2014 06:38 AM

It does not work for me as well, I also used 2014-09-09 Raspbian release.
On step 3, after installing xbian-kernel, it asks for reboot.
On reboot it shows the colored screen, and then the screen turned to some weird purple-blue-black gradient, and then the screen went off after a few seconds.

I removed the initramfs.gz line from config.txt and turned PI on.
On boot it displayed some text on the screen and it got stuck on:
Terminal
No filesystem could mount root, tried: btrfs.
Unable to mount root fs on unkown-block(179,2)

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - f1vefour - 30th Sep, 2014 04:24 PM

The initramfs line was just a guess, take no stock in it since I don't run rasbian.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - metalshark - 14th Oct, 2014 01:36 PM

Hi Guys!

Im totally new at this and I would just like to ask if there's anybody out there who was able to do this. This is an amazing concept and I would really like to try making this happen. I tried following the instructions from post #1 but I already ran into a problem. Here is what happened:

Terminal
root@MiniShark:/tmp# wget http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/stable/main/x/xbian-package-repo/xbian-package-repo_1.0.0_armhf.deb
--2014-10-13 20:20:53-- http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/stable/main/x/xbian-package-repo/xbian-package-repo_1.0.0_armhf.deb
Resolving xbian.brantje.com (xbian.brantje.com)... 188.142.48.93
Connecting to xbian.brantje.com (xbian.brantje.com)|188.142.48.93|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: https://box.azirly.nl/pool/stable/main/x/xbian-package-repo/xbian-package-repo_1.0.0_armhf.deb [following]
--2014-10-13 20:20:55-- https://box.azirly.nl/pool/stable/main/x/xbian-package-repo/xbian-package-repo_1.0.0_armhf.deb
Resolving box.azirly.nl (box.azirly.nl)... 188.142.48.93
Connecting to box.azirly.nl (box.azirly.nl)|188.142.48.93|:443... connected.
ERROR: The certificate of `box.azirly.nl' is not trusted.
ERROR: The certificate of `box.azirly.nl' hasn't got a known issuer.
root@MiniShark:/tmp#
I sure hope some one out there can still help out.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - Pingu - 19th Oct, 2014 07:43 PM

(14th Oct, 2014 01:36 PM)metalshark Wrote:  Hi Guys!

Im totally new at this and I would just like to ask if there's anybody out there who was able to do this. This is an amazing concept and I would really like to try making this happen. I tried following the instructions from post #1 but I already ran into a problem. Here is what happened:

Terminal
root@MiniShark:/tmp# wget http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/stable/main/x/xbian-package-repo/xbian-package-repo_1.0.0_armhf.deb
--2014-10-13 20:20:53-- http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/stable/main/x/xbian-package-repo/xbian-package-repo_1.0.0_armhf.deb
Resolving xbian.brantje.com (xbian.brantje.com)... 188.142.48.93
Connecting to xbian.brantje.com (xbian.brantje.com)|188.142.48.93|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: https://box.azirly.nl/pool/stable/main/x/xbian-package-repo/xbian-package-repo_1.0.0_armhf.deb [following]
--2014-10-13 20:20:55-- https://box.azirly.nl/pool/stable/main/x/xbian-package-repo/xbian-package-repo_1.0.0_armhf.deb
Resolving box.azirly.nl (box.azirly.nl)... 188.142.48.93
Connecting to box.azirly.nl (box.azirly.nl)|188.142.48.93|:443... connected.
ERROR: The certificate of `box.azirly.nl' is not trusted.
ERROR: The certificate of `box.azirly.nl' hasn't got a known issuer.
root@MiniShark:/tmp#
I sure hope some one out there can still help out.

Hi, try --no-check-certificate parameter with wget. About other problem, I still didn't successfully install Xbian on Raspbian, so I gave up trying and am now using only Xbian.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - thijzer - 20th Nov, 2014 08:22 PM

just wanted to point out a few issues i had during the process. the solutions came from other threads in the forum, just wanted to point them out here.

:: xbian.brantje.com returns a 404 at this moment
use wget http://apt.xbian.org/pool/stable/main/x/xbian-package-repo/xbian-package-repo_1.0.0_armhf.deb

before apt-get clean; apt-get update add these commands
sudo sed -i 's/xbian.brantje.com/apt.xbian.org/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbian.list
sudo sed -i 's/xbian.brantje.com/apt.xbian.org/g' /etc/apt/sources.list

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - tchalee - 24th Nov, 2014 10:29 PM

Hello,

Dont know if this tutorial works now but i cannot install xbian over raspbian 2014-09-09.

After the point 3 (sudo apt-get install xbian-package-kernel) i have no initfram file in the boot directory. I copied the file from the xbian image RC3 on boot and then reboot.

The conversion start and then i have a black screen. After 10-15 minutes te pi reboot and i have messages "can't remove..." for a large amount of files then kernel panic.

I take the sd card on my pc and add the line with "rootflags=subvol=root/@,autodefrag,compress=lzo", started my pi again and now its ok with boot but my usb keyboard dont work and no connection with the pi ??

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/48/1416842945-dsc-0004.jpeg

Dont know if i have to copy oters files with initfram, maybe kernel ?

Thanks and sorry for my english.

RE: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG - GwennyPi - 22nd Feb, 2015 08:47 AM

Hi,

I'm new on Pi and Raspbian but i want to install Xbian like this but i can't install the kernel.
My system language is German so i have to translate the error message for you (my english is not so good, i'll do my best):

package linux-image-bcm2836 not available but it is referenced from another package. This can mean the package is lost, replaced or available from another source
E: There is no installation candidate for package linux-image-bcm2836

And yes, i have a pi 2 Wink
Is there anything i missed by following the steps in post 1, adding something in /etc/apt/source.list ?
I get the information to uncoment the lines 2 and 3 in /etc/apt/source.list.d/xbian-list from another post in this thread, perhaps this should be added in post 1?

thanking you in anticipation for your help.