Forum
[PROBLEM] Running out of disk space - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Running out of disk space (/thread-1865.html)

Running out of disk space - Darkguy - 9th Dec, 2013 07:51 AM

Hey guys,

running XBian 1.0 Beta 2 on an 8 GB SDHC card. As of a few days ago, I was using about 3 GB. I have the download-packages installed and right now and also use the SD card as the download destination. Every couple of days, I will manually transfer the downloaded files off via Samba to another machine.

It seems though even as I move the files off, the disk space on the SD card seems not to get released, resulting in me currently only having about 30 MB left. Is this a bug or is there something I can do to release the freed disk space back?

RE: Running out of disk space - freem@n - 9th Dec, 2013 09:17 AM

same for me with a 16GB SDHC card using nzbget... not quite yet running out of space but I wonder why I only have 6GB left although I just moved all new files to an external USB HDD.

RE: Running out of disk space - Darkguy - 9th Dec, 2013 12:38 PM

deleted a few of the weekly-snapshots and freed about 400 MB... but still I'm pretty sure there isn't 6 GB of data on the SD-card right now

RE: Running out of disk space - IriDium - 9th Dec, 2013 07:33 PM

There was a post a few weeks ago where someone was havng the same problem. I think is was transmission. The problem was that even though the files were supposed to go to an external HDD they were in fact being written to the local disk.

I would suggest searching the SD card for the largest files and see if you can deduce what is filling it up.

Code:
sudo find / -type f -size +50000k -exec ls -lh {} \; | awk '{ print $9 ": " $5 }'

Should find files > 50M - you may need to adjust it as required.

This is not - per se - an Xbian issue, more to do with the addons.

RE: Running out of disk space - Darkguy - 9th Dec, 2013 08:50 PM

Thanks - but that search only yielded the two video files that were being downloaded last night.

BUT: right now, all of a sudden, df -h only shows 1.7 GB of 7.4 GB being occupied (which sounds about right); is it possible there is some sort of script/cron job running every 24 hours that looks into reported disk space vs. actual disk space and frees up the discrepance (like some sort of TRIM)?

If so, is this some command I could also run manually if need be?

RE: Running out of disk space - IriDium - 10th Dec, 2013 02:07 AM

I think the issue is the "df" command not being up to date with btrfs. Using the correct btrfs command should eliminate the problem.

RE: Running out of disk space - mk01 - 13th Dec, 2013 11:03 AM

(9th Dec, 2013 08:50 PM)Darkguy Wrote:  Thanks - but that search only yielded the two video files that were being downloaded last night.

BUT: right now, all of a sudden, df -h only shows 1.7 GB of 7.4 GB being occupied (which sounds about right); is it possible there is some sort of script/cron job running every 24 hours that looks into reported disk space vs. actual disk space and frees up the discrepance (like some sort of TRIM)?

If so, is this some command I could also run manually if need be?

is it better if you run:
Code:
sudo -i
btrfs-auto-snapshot list | grep -v /@$ | grep auto-snap | xargs -L1 btrfs-auto-snapshot destroy

?

RE: Running out of disk space - freem@n - 11th Jan, 2014 10:46 PM

(13th Dec, 2013 11:03 AM)mk01 Wrote:  is it better if you run:
Code:
sudo -i
btrfs-auto-snapshot list | grep -v /@$ | grep auto-snap | xargs -L1 btrfs-auto-snapshot destroy

Thanks! this did the trick for me. I had only 50MB left on my 16GB SD card. with this command I have freed up 7GB of disk space Smile

RE: Running out of disk space - IriDium - 12th Jan, 2014 05:23 AM

@freem@n What have you got installed on your system?. Xbian should only use around 2G max, so you've got 7GB unaccounted for. Are you running transmission or some other downloader? There was a post a while ago where temporary files were being stored on the SD card even though it was specified elsewhere.

It might be worth checking your filesystem and see what is using all of the storage - unless you know where.

RE: Running out of disk space - freem@n - 12th Jan, 2014 07:36 AM

I am using NZBGet from time to time on XBian especially now where I wanted to test the newly released version 12 from the staging repo. the only thing I don't understand is why the space isn't freed directly when I delete a file from the SD card...