Forum
VPN to access media - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: VPN to access media (/thread-1921.html)

VPN to access media - Krolken - 21st Dec, 2013 07:59 PM

Hi

I'm getting my parents in law a R-Pi for christmas and planning on installing xbian on it since it is the one I use myself at home.
I have set up a vpn tunnel from a laptop to my server in another country where I have all my media so they can download it and then play it on Xbian. But I was wondering if there is a possibility to set up a VPN tunnel from the R-Pi to the server so that they can stream it directly from my server. Might be slow, but I have a pretty good uplink at home so it is worth a try.

I'm guessing I have to access the Linux that Xbian is running on, but I dont know how to do that.

I'm using NFS to share my files in the LAN at home.

// Krolken

RE: VPN to access media - mk01 - 21st Dec, 2013 08:14 PM

yes, you can do that. your network traffic (to NFS) will be routed via VPN.

what kind of VPN it is OpenVPN or PPTP/L2TP ?

RE: VPN to access media - Krolken - 25th Dec, 2013 09:41 PM

I can use any VPN. Right now my VPN server is set up to PPTP and L2TP. I want to use L2PT so I have maximum security for the stream because it goes to another country.

We have handed out the christmas presents now, so I can begin to set the raspberry pi up.

So what do I have to do after I have installed Xbian on the sd card and configured it to access the wifi?

(Merry Christmas by the way Smile )

RE: VPN to access media - mk01 - 26th Dec, 2013 01:18 AM

feel free to follow any relevant how-to for debian (or even ubuntu).

maybe in the tutorial you setup your server part with is also a section for clients .