Forum
Moving Beta 2 to bigger card - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Moving Beta 2 to bigger card (/thread-1941.html)

Pages: 1 2

Moving Beta 2 to bigger card - Baz8755 - 26th Dec, 2013 11:01 PM

Hi,

I have 2 SD cards that a 2GB & an 8GB.

Before Beta 2 I used to be able to use win32diskimager to take a copy of the 2GB and write that copy to the 8GB card. Then when booting the Pi Xbian used to resize the partition.

Now however it does not do the resize and Xbian reports a 2GB card (even though it is 8GB)

I have tried the SD card resize option but it is disabled and I have also tried GParted but it will not allow me to increase the partition to fill the card.

Anyone know how I can do this as the 8GB card is faster and I don't really want to do a fresh install as I have done a lot of configuration/customisation.

Cheers

Baz

RE: Moving Beta 2 to bigger card - IriDium - 27th Dec, 2013 04:45 AM

1) Beta 2 should automatically resize the 2G image to the size of the card 8G card. If not:
2) Use xbian-config to write an image and try that image instead.
3) What configuration have you done? If it's all XBMC or Xbian stuff - then used Xbian-config to take a backup - Do a fresh install on the 8G card and then use this backup to restore your changes. Obviously if there are system changes these won't be taken into account.

Edit: Was this a fresh install or an upgrade? If so from what?

RE: Moving Beta 2 to bigger card - Baz8755 - 27th Dec, 2013 05:19 AM

(27th Dec, 2013 04:45 AM)IriDium Wrote:  1) Beta 2 should automatically resize the 2G image to the size of the card 8G card. If not:
2) Use xbian-config to write an image and try that image instead.
3) What configuration have you done? If it's all XBMC or Xbian stuff - then used Xbian-config to take a backup - Do a fresh install on the 8G card and then use this backup to restore your changes. Obviously if there are system changes these won't be taken into account.

The original 2GB card was written using Xbian-installer to install beta 2 to the card.

RE: Moving Beta 2 to bigger card - IriDium - 27th Dec, 2013 05:38 AM

Ok, something is not right. Can you post the output of dmesg when booting the 8G card with Xbian via pastebin and the output of df -h inline. Tnx

RE: Moving Beta 2 to bigger card - Baz8755 - 27th Dec, 2013 05:43 AM

Ah, will do if the clean install/config backup plan does not work as I am halfway through doing it Wink

RE: Moving Beta 2 to bigger card - IriDium - 27th Dec, 2013 05:48 AM

Can you post config.txt and cmdline.txt as well if an upgrade.

RE: Moving Beta 2 to bigger card - Gwystyl - 27th Dec, 2013 05:50 AM

Beta 2 hangs during first boot when it says resize fs. I think that's the reason it doesn't resize properly, but I don't know how to fix it.

RE: Moving Beta 2 to bigger card - IriDium - 27th Dec, 2013 05:58 AM

Ok - on the stuck resize FS this is a bug and needs to be fixed.

Can you reboot and see if this resolves the issue.

RE: Moving Beta 2 to bigger card - Baz8755 - 28th Dec, 2013 03:07 AM

(27th Dec, 2013 05:58 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Ok - on the stuck resize FS this is a bug and needs to be fixed.

Can you reboot and see if this resolves the issue.

OK, got it working but it was a bit arduous

First I took a backup of the configuration on the 2GB card.
I then used the Xbian installer to do a fresh install on 8GB card.
I booted Pi with fresh install and it showed as sized for 8GB.
I then tried restoring config and it got stuck in a loop.
So I did another fresh install on 8GB and this time it resized and then tried to resize again and got stuck (as others have already mentioned), so I rebooted and it all seemed OK.
I then ran all the xbian updates before trying to restore config, this seems to have worked.

So to recap
* Copying to a bigger card seems to no longer resize (may be due to intramfs being one of the items in one of the updates)
* Resize on beta 2 fresh install is flakey
* Only restore a config once fully patched up to date.

My only concern is whether or not the resize issue has caused any file system corruption, I hope not.

RE: Moving Beta 2 to bigger card - IriDium - 28th Dec, 2013 05:18 AM

If you post the output of dmesg - or look youself, you will see if there is any corruption - there will be BTRFS errors abount unlinking orphans. 1 or 2 is ok but not more than that.

RE: Moving Beta 2 to bigger card - Baz8755 - 28th Dec, 2013 06:09 AM

(28th Dec, 2013 05:18 AM)IriDium Wrote:  If you post the output of dmesg - or look youself, you will see if there is any corruption - there will be BTRFS errors abount unlinking orphans. 1 or 2 is ok but not more than that.

I have just 2 orphan unlink messages right at the end

RE: Moving Beta 2 to bigger card - IriDium - 28th Dec, 2013 06:13 AM

Ok that looks fine - can you post the output of dmesg just to be sure. Tnx

RE: Moving Beta 2 to bigger card - Baz8755 - 28th Dec, 2013 06:22 AM

(28th Dec, 2013 06:13 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Ok that looks fine - can you post the output of dmesg just to be sure. Tnx
Attached Smile

RE: Moving Beta 2 to bigger card - IriDium - 3rd Jan, 2014 04:03 AM

I'm not convinced

Can you post output from df -h and post cmdline.txt

Tnx

RE: Moving Beta 2 to bigger card - Baz8755 - 3rd Jan, 2014 05:08 AM

(3rd Jan, 2014 04:03 AM)IriDium Wrote:  I'm not convinced

Can you post output from df -h and post cmdline.txt

Tnx

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 7.2G 1.2G 6.0G 17% /
/dev/mmcblk0p2 7.2G 1.2G 6.0G 17% /
devtmpfs 188M 4.0K 188M 1% /dev
none 38M 380K 38M 1% /run
/dev/mmcblk0p1 34M 20M 15M 57% /boot
/dev/mmcblk0p2 7.2G 1.2G 6.0G 17% /home
/dev/mmcblk0p2 7.2G 1.2G 6.0G 17% /lib/modules
/dev/mmcblk0p2 7.2G 1.2G 6.0G 17% /xbmc-backup

sdhci-bcm2708.sync_after_dma=0 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootflags=subvol=root/@,autodefrag,compress=lzo rootfstype=btrfs rootwait smsc95xx.turbo_mode=Y elevator=cfq logo.nologo quiet noswap loglevel=0 mod_scsi.scan=sync partswap startevent=mountall splash nohdparm --startup-event mountall