Forum
first boot recovery console - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: first boot recovery console (/thread-1953.html)

first boot recovery console - jloh - 30th Dec, 2013 05:46 AM

When I first try to boot Xbian 1.02, it drops me into the recovery boot console. It says "Mounting root partition /dev/mmcblk0p2 failed".
I tried ifconfig eth0, and it recognized my network settings, but then when I exited it just gave me a whole log of rm's with permission denied. So I'm unclear how to proceed.

RE: first boot recovery console - jloh - 30th Dec, 2013 06:58 PM

So I think I've figured it out the image has 2 partitions which is fine and good. But the first partition has a type of FAT32. So I just changed the type to FAT16 and now it's looking better.

RE: first boot recovery console - lukeg01 - 30th Dec, 2013 07:36 PM

hello, i had the same problem, what worked with me was changing the config file, i removed the overclock settings in there and inital turbo=1 and disable_splash=1
then it started pretty quick

RE: first boot recovery console - metalmama - 31st Dec, 2013 07:44 PM

Hello,

Unfortunately I also have the same problem. This is also my first start with the Raspberry Pi. Perhaps it'd be easier to start with NOOBs but this version made me curious. I found the config file and it looks like this:

initramfs initramfs.gz 0x00a00000
gpu_mem_512=128
gpu_mem_256=128
initial_turbo=1
disable_splash=1
arm_freq=840
core_freq=275
sdram_freq=400
over_voltage=0
Which lines should I delete or alter?

I'd be grateful if lukeg01 could explain this a bit. My 2nd partition already was fat16. So I can rule the 1st suggestion out.

Vera

RE: first boot recovery console - IriDium - 3rd Jan, 2014 03:28 AM

@jloh How id you install Xbian? Installer, Windiskimager32 or DD - none of what you did should be necessary.
@lukeg01 That should not be necessary. Xbian OC is very slight. It should NOT affect the boot UNLESS you have a weak power supply < 1amp
@metalmama The best way to change the OC is to ssh into you RPi and change it in xbian-config.

To all - it seems like either an installer issue or a power issue.

If after checking both and you still have problems, when you get to a shell, try and post the output of the command "dmesg" via pastebin as requested in Please read before you post

RE: first boot recovery console - metalmama - 3rd Jan, 2014 06:10 AM

Thanks for the response IriDium, though I only understood half of it. However it did make me decide to use a (new) SD-card. And this time I was in luck. Though it got stuck at resize fs (from which I read it was a bug) it came alive after a reboot.
So now the time for playing with it has come. I thought it'd be polite to let you know it worked out in the end.

Vera

RE: first boot recovery console - IriDium - 4th Jan, 2014 05:40 AM

@metalmama We always love feedback and as you say it is a polite gesture and always welcome.

As a new user - I would double check your power supply. It has to be a good 1amp.

RE: first boot recovery console - lukeg01 - 12th Jan, 2014 04:32 AM

i didn't had a bad supply, was the first thing i tried, my config looks like this

initramfs initramfs.gz 0x00a00000
gpu_mem_512=128
gpu_mem_256=128

then it just worked

RE: first boot recovery console - IriDium - 12th Jan, 2014 05:09 AM

@lukeg01 If that worked for you then fine.

However, if that is your config.txt then you are running without any OC. Try adding via ssh xbian-config, the next OC one up and reboot and see it that works. If not, then it could be a SD card issue.

Do you have a Model B with 512Mb or a model A with 256Mb?

first boot recovery console - lukeg01 - 5th Feb, 2014 06:29 AM

B rev 2, but I don't need the OC runs very smoothly without it