Forum
[PROBLEM] XBian installation freezes on "FS RESIZE" - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] XBian installation freezes on "FS RESIZE" (/thread-2013.html)

XBian installation freezes on "FS RESIZE" - javirs - 14th Jan, 2014 10:26 PM

Code:
Software
XBian version: the only one offered by the windows instaler, XBian 1.0 Beta 2
XBMC version: unknown
Overclock settings: default ones

Hardware
Power supply rating: 4.8V 1A
RPi model : B 512mb, 1 week old
SD card size and make/type: 8Gb Class 4
Network : LAN
Connected devices: 8Gb Kingston memory stick, HDMI to tv (non CEC compatible)

Problem description:
The instalation procedure freezes around the 90% at the "FS RESIZE" step.
How to reproduce:
It happens every time I reboot (reflash). I let it there overnight and nothing happens, so it is not just that the thing is slow.

Explanation:
I had openELEC running in the pi for a while (so Pi is Ok and SD card is Ok). Then I decided I wanted some other application running in the background of my XBMC and I tried XBian.
I downloaded the Windows installer, used it to download, format and install my SD card.
Plugged the SD on the raspi.
The installation procedure works nice until the FS RESIZE step, where it freezes forever. All LEDs are lit.

I cannot provide more info since I cannot SSH the raspi (is not connected) and it is not responsive.

Any clue??

PS: I goggled and I've seen other people with similar problems but no one provided a solution / fix
this (extremelly chaotic) post seams to be relevant: http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1770-page-3.html

RE: XBian installation freezes on "FS RESIZE" - IriDium - 15th Jan, 2014 01:59 AM

Can you TRY installing by using an image from the website and Win32diskimager and see if that improves matters.

Otherwise a <cntl> <alt> <del> usually solves the problem.

RE: XBian installation freezes on "FS RESIZE" - javirs - 15th Jan, 2014 05:46 PM

I had no keyboard Sad

I don't know why but unplugging the USB Memory Stick did the trick. The system is now running and I've to add that I'm surprised by the overall performance and stability. Sincerely: Congratulations.

By they way, I've seen that part of this super performance is due to overclocking by default. I plan to let my raspi running beside the TV for XBMC AND personal webserver, so more or less 24/7

Should I use some heat sinks or something else to improve the live span of the components when they are such a long time on with overclock ?

RE: XBian installation freezes on "FS RESIZE" - IriDium - 16th Jan, 2014 01:56 AM

Ok, that might confuse it.

The Xbian OC is not a lot in practice. In a cased - behind the TV - RPi, I never got about 55 degrees. I now run heatsinks (copper) and a 25mm fan connected to the 3.3v GPIO pins and it's constant at 30 degree. You will hear a hum from the fan when nothing is happening.

Unless you intend to run heavy 1080p movies you may well find reducing the OC to normal will be enough.

It's all a matter of cost - the RPi is £30 - cooling it will cost £3 (Aluminium heatsinks on ebay) to £30+ for copper heatsinks, fan, controller and software.

RE: XBian installation freezes on "FS RESIZE" - mk01 - 16th Jan, 2014 06:16 AM

(15th Jan, 2014 05:46 PM)javirs Wrote:  By they way, I've seen that part of this super performance is due to overclocking by default. I plan to let my raspi running beside the TV for XBMC AND personal webserver, so more or less 24/7

@javirs,

standard XBian clock is 840Mhz (which is only 5% higher than for instance RaspBMC uses by default). with this clock, no over voltage is used and no other limits are changed (RPI factory temp limit is 85C).

with XBian standard OC you RPI will run mostly below 50C.

(difference of 5% is so small that normally it is below of std error of [performance] measurement - XBian's speed as result of higher OC is simply a myth)

RE: XBian installation freezes on "FS RESIZE" - javirs - 16th Jan, 2014 11:35 PM

cool and clear!

Thanks a lot ! Smile

RE: XBian installation freezes on "FS RESIZE" - peugas - 14th Mar, 2014 12:16 AM

(15th Jan, 2014 05:46 PM)javirs Wrote:  I don't know why but unplugging the USB Memory Stick did the trick.

Can you tell me more about what you did?
I mean, after freezing you unplug and plug again the SD card?