Forum
[PROBLEM] Two output audio - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Two output audio (/thread-2015.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Two output audio - Phillez - 17th Jan, 2014 04:26 AM

Is there a how to for this kind of job? Do i need to add some specific repositories?

RE: Two output audio - matzemedia - 17th Jan, 2014 05:23 AM

I'am looking the last two week for a solution to get a better audio output for my pi using XBMC. For example a external DAC.
HifiBerry seams to me the best solution to get with less money a great result. So I'am looking forward to found a repository supporting external USB sound or better HifiBerry.
You will make my live happier when writing a How To or better adding snd-soc-rpi-dac to 1.3-6 bundle.

Regards,
Matthias

RE: Two output audio - mk01 - 17th Jan, 2014 06:23 AM

(17th Jan, 2014 04:26 AM)Phillez Wrote:  Is there a how to for this kind of job? Do i need to add some specific repositories?

you have two options - download and install manually with dpkg - or add staging && devel repo and just do apt-get install.

1)
Code:
cd /tmp
sudo -i
wget http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/devel/main/x/xbian-package-kernel/xbian-package-kernel_1.3-6.8e_armhf.deb
wget http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/devel/main/x/xbian-package-config-shell/xbian-package-config-shell_2.1.6-59_armhf.deb
wget http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/devel/main/x/xbian-package-initramfs-tools/xbian-package-initramfs-tools_1.3.3-4a_armhf.deb
dpkg -i *.deb

2) put into /etc/apt/sources.list as additional lines
Code:
deb http://xbian.brantje.com devel main
deb http://xbian.brantje.com staging main

and run

Code:
sudo -i
apt-get update; apt-get install xbian-package-kernel

(17th Jan, 2014 05:23 AM)matzemedia Wrote:  I'am looking the last two week for a solution to get a better audio output for my pi using XBMC. For example a external DAC.
HifiBerry seams to me the best solution to get with less money a great result. So I'am looking forward to found a repository supporting external USB sound or better HifiBerry.
You will make my live happier when writing a How To or better adding snd-soc-rpi-dac to 1.3-6 bundle.

supporting AUDIO on system level is the same for XBian as for other linux distributions. install ALSA or PULSEAUDIO - you will find many how-to documents on internet.

((XBMC on RPI doesn't support other audio devices than HDMI output and native Analogue output))

RE: Two output audio - Phillez - 17th Jan, 2014 07:23 AM

Thats just awsome.
Will XBMC support other audio sources in the future?
If I install ALSA, will that interfere with XBMC audio?

RE: Two output audio - mk01 - 17th Jan, 2014 08:57 AM

1. i'm sure yes
2. no, no at all

RE: Two output audio - Phillez - 18th Jan, 2014 06:42 AM

Ok, great. It seems that an kernel update was released today?

Anyway - Is there a know work around for XBMC to use other audio sources?

Re: RE: Two output audio - min - 21st Jan, 2014 06:22 PM

(15th Jan, 2014 04:17 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  Yes, with beta 1.1 onwards IIRC.

But the analog out from the pi is not very good (it's limited to 10 bit) - so if possible use the hdmi. - I have sourced a hdmi to analog DAC that works well and gives quality indsitinguishible from CD on my B&W speakers.

Skywatch

Could you share some more info about this DAC?

Thanks Smile

RE: Two output audio - Phillez - 21st Jan, 2014 11:19 PM

Hi

There is a lot of different dacs.
The HiFiBerry uses the I2S header on the rPi. Check it out here or check out some USB DACs here

Re: Two output audio - min - 22nd Jan, 2014 08:24 AM

Well the hifiberry seems a bit more bleeding edge to me Cool

RE: Two output audio - Phillez - 22nd Jan, 2014 09:21 AM

(22nd Jan, 2014 08:24 AM)min Wrote:  Well the hifiberry seems a bit more bleeding edge to me Cool

Its awesome! Just waiting for XBMC to support it though! :<

RE: Two output audio - min - 22nd Jan, 2014 10:17 AM

What sort of case are you using Phillez? Does the board add much extra height?

RE: Two output audio - Phillez - 23rd Jan, 2014 03:00 AM

(22nd Jan, 2014 10:17 AM)min Wrote:  What sort of case are you using Phillez? Does the board add much extra height?

I actually havent figured out how to case it yet. The board it self does not add extra hight, but the two RCA's add the hight.
Although, it is possible to buy RCA and wire them form the DAC so you can mount them on the side of a case :-)

RE: Two output audio - Gymnae - 23rd Jan, 2014 06:30 PM

I have just bought a HifiBerry and was running Beta 2 - I updated with the devel sources and that corrupted my btrfs fs to the point I had to restore the system from a clonezilla SD card backup.

After restoring that backup, I updated through
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
which ended me with a disfunctional xbmc (the splash screen just looped).

Then I manually installed the new kernel and the other two packages like described in the post above, which again ended me in a loop, now even without working wifi.

I do not know if it is missing power, which is unlikely as I use a 2A hub, or if something goes wrong with btrfs after installing the development kernel.
Anyhow, later tonight I will restore the clonezilla backup once more - even though it doesn't have the modules for the HifiBerry.

Long story short: I'd really appreciate the addition of snd-soc-rpi-dac to the stable beta release.

@mk01: Can I retrieve helpful logs from the sd-card for analysis before I wipe it? Maybe there is some truth to be found in the /var/log folder pertaining to the failing of xbmc and btrfs.

I also have the staging repos in the sources, maybe somethings borked there.

RE: Two output audio - mk01 - 26th Jan, 2014 03:30 AM

definitely. if you can still access the rootfs, send /var/log/*

tar -c /var/log | gzip > logs.tar.gz

RE: Two output audio - Thak - 3rd Feb, 2014 09:42 AM

(16th Jan, 2014 06:00 PM)mk01 Wrote:  @Phillez

in case of high demand I can add snd-soc-rpi-dac to 1.3-6 bundle (3.10.23).

otherwise is by default included in 3.12.y (kernel bundle 1.3-8.x).

Hi,
It would be really great if you could done that! And hifiberry's creator is really helpfull in order to make his dac compatible with a maximum software!