Forum
[SOLVED] No more external Hard Drives :( - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Peripherals (/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] No more external Hard Drives :( (/thread-2030.html)

No more external Hard Drives :( - alfaromeo - 18th Jan, 2014 11:01 AM

Hallo!

Software
XBian version: 1.0Beta2
XBMC version: 12.2 Git:20131125-d1002b4
Overclock settings: xbian

Hardware
Power supply rating: ?? 1.0A
RPi model (model A/B 256mb/512mb): B 512MB
SD card size and make/type: 4 GB Samsung Essential SDHC Class 4
Network (wireless or LAN): LAN
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, etc.): TV (HDMI), USB-Stick (running Xbian)

Logile
Link to logfile(s): Didn't find it Sad respectively I don't know how to get to .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log Sad

Problem description:
Soooo... I was running my Pi with Xbian since 1.0Beta2 was released. Everything worked great!
Today the problems started:
1. The Pi some kind of freezed. The Screen on my TV wouldn't update anymore, the clock was still displaying the time some hours ago. Now i wasn't able to connect to the XBian with my Remote App on Ipad or Android Device. So I couldn't do anything at all! Strange thing: I checked the webGUI of NZBget and it was still running very smoth Huh Well, I plugged out the power, waited some time and plugged it in again.
2. Then the bootscreen would not appear any more. The only thing that was there was a flashing _ . Not one line of code or something. The green LED wasn't blinking, too. Just the red one was shining all the time. So I unplugged EVERYTHING except of the SD-Card and plugged in the power: same thing, only red LED. I somehow managed to get the green LED flashing three times on and on and on some internet site, I saw, that some file was missing.... I just wiped the card, reinstalled Xbian to it, changed the cmdline.txt to mount from USB-Stick and plugged the card back into my Pi.
3. Now the Xbian system would boot perfectly and also the system would run as it should. Just like before that "freeze".

But now the problem:
It would not recognize my external USB Drive anymore !! It is a USB 2.0 Drive with an SATA 1,5TB HDD inside. It has its own power supply. The Pi and the drive worked together perfectly for months!!
- I switched the USB ports on the Pi, upper port -> Stick, lower port -> HDD and vice versa. No change.
- I plugged in another external USB-Drive -> no effect.
I see the status LED on the drive blinking, a few seconds after I plug it into the Pi. But the Pi just would not do anything at all!

I then checked some stuff:

df -h shows:
Terminal
Dateisystem Größe Benutzt Verf. Verw% Eingehängt auf
rootfs 7,2G 2,9G 4,2G 41% /
udev 256K 4,0K 252K 2% /dev
tmpfs 38M 172K 38M 1% /run
/dev/sda1 7,2G 2,9G 4,2G 41% /
/dev/sda1 7,2G 2,9G 4,2G 41% /home
/dev/mmcblk0p1 34M 14M 21M 40% /boot
/dev/sda1 7,2G 2,9G 4,2G 41% /lib/modules
/dev/sda1 7,2G 2,9G 4,2G 41% /xbmc-backup

lsusb shows:
Terminal
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 8564:1000
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 152d:2338 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JM20337 Hi-Speed USB to SATA & PATA Combo Bridge

So I guess, the system is recognizing the HD in some way! The other drive I tested would be recognized as Bus 001 Device 006: ID blablabla....

I have absolutely no idea what to do Sad

(Oh yeah, by the way: the drives work perfectly on any PC.)

I hope, my information I gave you is enough to maybe help me!!

Thank you so much in advance... I already miss my Pi so much Big Grin

EDIT: Today an update for the usbmount appeared... installed it... WORKS Smile

RE: No more external Hard Drives :( - mk01 - 19th Jan, 2014 02:26 AM

@alfaromeo
@all

during hard off / on in most cases FAT (/boot) partition gets damaged, not XBian system. you can see it on RPI exactly as your status was. just red led, not a beep on TV. most of the time putting card into Windows / MacOSX is enough. as OS runs fsck and resolves some minor issues - which RPI fw takes seriously and will not load kernel.img.

so as general info, if this case happens for anyone, don't panic / don't reflash whole card yet. try this simple step + easy check cmdline.txt and config.txt (if they are not broken completely). in most cases this is enough.