Forum
[TASK] FAQ2 - Please read - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Community (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Support the project (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: [TASK] FAQ2 - Please read (/thread-2054.html)

FAQ2 - Please read - IriDium - 25th Jan, 2014 03:09 AM

As regular members will know - a lot of questions are repeated (FAQ - Frequently asked questions) by new users to this forum without really doing a search on their problem.

I believe we at Xbian HQ are lacking in that we do not have a FAQ on the forum.

It will mean for common problems all that will be required is a "Please read the FAQ"

In the beginning it will be quite small but as more and more regular questions are asked, the main points will be copied to the FAQ building a collection of the most popular requests/problems.

It will differ from the Wiki in that it is more related to problems rather than "How to" but a link can be created if a Wiki article exists (No point duplicating work).

if you're not sure.... include it anyway, we can always whittle away or combine suggestions.

At the moment the FAQ forum link is not available as it requires a Website change, but once it is in place all comments, suggestions and work will be transferred over.

So far - and the list is nowhere near complete, I have detailed.

1) How to ssh into your RPi.
2) System gets stuck on fs-resize
3) How to print out the output of dmesg.
4) Video only shows in top left hand corner. (Complete)
5) How to get a screen print (Complete)

So please add suggestions as to what you think should be added, and also if you could complete a task (It does not have to be the one you suggested)

When writing a FAQ (Remember that the user is probably not familiar with Xbian nor Linux, so whenever possible, provide screenshots or outputs to guide them)

Many thanks to all that help - Kudos points to all that participate, dead kittens to those that don't. Heart

RE: FAQ2 - Please read - IriDium - 11th Feb, 2015 09:10 PM

All, can you have a look at http://www.xbian.org/faq-new and give comments.

If you have any ideas, then please let us know.

If you can assist in detailing the steps for the FAQ, then all the better as I can then add them to the FAQ as required.

RE: FAQ2 - Please read - IriDium - 12th Feb, 2015 02:14 AM

I've just noticed that there is also a FAQ in the WIKI.

Which one is the one to use? I don't think there should be 2 FAQs.

Probably best to have the FAQ in the WIKI and just have a redirect to the FAQ on the wiki page.

RE: FAQ2 - Please read - CurlyMo - 12th Feb, 2015 03:09 AM

The difference between the two was / is:
- Frontpage FAQ is written by XBian and thereby validated.
- Wiki FAQ is maintained by the community.

RE: FAQ2 - Please read - rikardo1979 - 12th Feb, 2015 05:07 AM

thanks @IriDium to taking this
I think we should just keep one FAQ section on web, like where it is now and have all under there for simplicity
Also we should just use simple wordpress pluging, like this one so it is easily searchable and looks tidy

edit: new plugin in place if you like to play with it. I have no chance till weekend, sunday possibly

RE: FAQ2 - Please read - IriDium - 12th Feb, 2015 10:12 PM

Ok, How about we still keep the Wiki web page but with a link to the Xbian FAQ.

The community can still add entries to the Wiki FAQ and if we think that they are worth, then they can be transferred to the Xbian FAQ.

I think this is the best solution. It allows us to ask users to add their suggestions to the Wiki and then it can be transfered when complete.

Let me know if that is what is wanted and I will try and make it so.