Forum
Stuck on Starting XBMC - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Stuck on Starting XBMC (/thread-2078.html)

Stuck on Starting XBMC - barazi - 2nd Feb, 2014 12:46 AM

I installed Xbian 1.0B2 several times via the xbian-installer using Mac OSX for the RPI 512MB. This was installed on a SanDisk 16GB Class 10 card. Initially after a Fresh install I booted the RPI, soon as the Xbian logo appeared from the splash screen this was stuck on FS screen resize. Fortunately after another reboot this began to boot up properly into XBMC for setting up.

After setting up the screen size, timezone etc. on xbmc, the network was already configured and working on DHCP. Eventually updates had appeared from the system Xbian Menu. I selected the "Update All" Option in XBMC. When it was finished I did a reboot but Xbian didn't start again. It's hanging on the splash screen "starting xbmc".

Tried rebooting it again and again, but every time the same (with the tool over ssh and even manually). I even disconnected the network, however still the same.

I then did the same with a brand new SD card. Again exactly the same. This time, I never updated but rebooted,however there were no issues, I even managed to install a number of Video add ons and it all worked. I then decided to go for the update, this time I only clicked on the first update at the top. This went through fine as before. The system as before required a reboot. After this the spas screen was stuck on "starting xbmc".

Can someone please help, as I am totally new to this and only know a few commands using ssh. I have heard great things about xbian and would love to stay.

RE: Stuck on Starting XBMC - IriDium - 2nd Feb, 2014 02:14 AM

Unfortunately, you have arrived at a time when there are a number of issues waiting to be resolved.

1) The installer can cause issues, which is why we recommend using win32diskimager - which is not very useful if you only have a Mac. The reboot is the solution to rid the FS resize error.

2) At the moment I wouldn't recommend upgrading - there seems to be a number of issues.

If you do want to upgrade, I succeeded by...
a) edit /etc/apt/sources.list and remove the # from the staging line.
b) sudo apt-get clean
c) sudo apt-get update
d) sudo xbian-config -> 5 -> 3: Select all. Check the install log. If errors, keep repeating the process until there are no longer any errors.

Not the cleanest method but seems to work.

RE: Stuck on Starting XBMC - barazi - 2nd Feb, 2014 06:07 AM

Iridium, thank you for your prompt response. When I used the installer on the Mac the 3rd time, this time round I ejected the card from the Mac instead of just pulling out the SD card.

I then started the PI and this started up xbian then xbmc without any issues.

I rebooted the system without any issues and now the updates have downloaded. I will go with your recommendation and not upgrade via xbmc if there are issues. However I would like to try the manual method.

Unfortunately I am not sure how you do this. At present I am using Terminal from Mac to connect to Xbian, which connects successfully , however I'm not sure how you go about editing sources.list as I tried the command from the terminal window and this didn't work.

I will appreciate if you can give me some detailed info. on this.

Many thanks.

RE: Stuck on Starting XBMC - IriDium - 3rd Feb, 2014 02:34 AM

Ah yes: Always unmount - as this syncs the data and allows a safe removal.

The easiest way is, from terminal.

ssh xbian@192.168.x.xx IP of your mac.
password: raspberry

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list (Remove # from stageing line.)
<cntl> o to write the changes, <cntl> x to exit nano.
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo xbian-config (and follow the prompts there)

RE: Stuck on Starting XBMC - MacUsers - 3rd Feb, 2014 06:20 AM

(2nd Feb, 2014 06:07 AM)barazi Wrote:  Iridium, thank you for your prompt response. When I used the installer on the Mac the 3rd time, this time round I ejected the card from the Mac instead of just pulling out the SD card.

Nothing to do with Xbian or any thing else, but if you been pulling out the card from the computer ever since, you'll get world of surprises, including damaging the card itself. Cheers!!

RE: Stuck on Starting XBMC - jhyman - 13th Feb, 2014 03:21 PM

(2nd Feb, 2014 02:14 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Unfortunately, you have arrived at a time when there are a number of issues waiting to be resolved.

1) The installer can cause issues, which is why we recommend using win32diskimager - which is not very useful if you only have a Mac. The reboot is the solution to rid the FS resize error.

2) At the moment I wouldn't recommend upgrading - there seems to be a number of issues.

If you do want to upgrade, I succeeded by...
a) edit /etc/apt/sources.list and remove the # from the staging line.
b) sudo apt-get clean
c) sudo apt-get update
d) sudo xbian-config -> 5 -> 3: Select all. Check the install log. If errors, keep repeating the process until there are no longer any errors.

Not the cleanest method but seems to work.

Apologies if this is a silly question. What's the best way to know when the fix for the upgrade issues has made it to the stable repository? I saw a reference in another thread that the issue was fixed in the development repositories, and your reply would imply the fix made it to the staging repository. Otherwise I can't find anything else and I'd rather not do the trial and error approach given how long it has taken me to restore after one bad upgrade.

RE: Stuck on Starting XBMC - IriDium - 14th Feb, 2014 05:16 AM

All releases are tested prior to being moved from devel to staging and then to stable. However, because of all the different hardware, RPi models and peripherals, it's never possible to test every possible permutation.

I have upgraded three machines now without any issues. The solution (if upgrading everything) is to keep selecting the objects to be upgraded, until you get the message "You are already on the latest release (or something like that).

It was a peculiarity of this upgrade that the full upgrade did not occur in one batch but needed to be applied in doses. Xbian-config handles this.

So if you just run c) and d) you will now be fine.

To be doubly sure, just select one package at a time until you finish on xbian-package-update.

RE: Stuck on Starting XBMC - jhyman - 15th Feb, 2014 03:35 AM

(14th Feb, 2014 05:16 AM)IriDium Wrote:  All releases are tested prior to being moved from devel to staging and then to stable. However, because of all the different hardware, RPi models and peripherals, it's never possible to test every possible permutation.

I have upgraded three machines now without any issues. The solution (if upgrading everything) is to keep selecting the objects to be upgraded, until you get the message "You are already on the latest release (or something like that).

It was a peculiarity of this upgrade that the full upgrade did not occur in one batch but needed to be applied in doses. Xbian-config handles this.

So if you just run c) and d) you will now be fine.

To be doubly sure, just select one package at a time until you finish on xbian-package-update.

I'm keep getting repeated errors on the xbian-update package related to autofs:

Code:
Setting up autofs (5.0.7-3) ...
[....] Starting automount...^[[?251^[7[[1G[^[[31mFAIL^[[39;49
invoke-rc.d: initscript autofs, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing autofs (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error
Errors were encountered while processing:
autofs

When installing packages one by one, most worked fine. Either the btrfs or dpkg update wound up also installing a lot of the xbian update packages. Once that happened I started getting these errors, but xbian-config stopped listing the packages as needing update. However, the xbian-update package keeps giving this error and showing up in the list of packages needing updating.

apt-get clean and apt-get update don't change anything. Not sure where to go from here, and I'm hesitant to reboot since this cause the system to stop responding in a previous upgrade try.

RE: Stuck on Starting XBMC - pascasio - 15th Feb, 2014 05:00 AM

same error in two raspberry pi.

By xbian-config update and latest update called "xbian-update" does not update giving error.

When reset, does not boot more.

Sorry for my English

RE: Stuck on Starting XBMC - Davem - 15th Feb, 2014 07:53 AM

(2nd Feb, 2014 12:46 AM)barazi Wrote:  I installed Xbian 1.0B2 several times via the xbian-installer using Mac OSX for the RPI 512MB. This was installed on a SanDisk 16GB Class 10 card. Initially after a Fresh install I booted the RPI, soon as the Xbian logo appeared from the splash screen this was stuck on FS screen resize. Fortunately after another reboot this began to boot up properly into XBMC for setting up.

I can confirm this issue exits also on the Windows installer (Windows 7 - 64 bit). On the first boot the system gets stuck on 'FS resize' screen. After a manual power disconnect the system will boot again into XBMC.

This did not feel right on a fresh install so I tried the image from sourceforge.net with the win32diskimager and the system booted like it should.

--
My road to success for a fresh beta 2 (maybe it can help you):

I faced two error's on the way.

1. Installed the Xbian Beta 2 image by win32diskimager
2. Restored my previous XBMC data with the Add on: XBMC backup (personal step and not required)
3. SSH into Xbian and go to update. Follow the steps chronological
4. From SSH xbian-config run 'check deb upgrades - run apt-get upgrade' unit you get the error with setting up autofs 5.0.7-3
5. Reboot your system
6. Your system will get in a loop 'starting XBMC'
7. Run 'check deb upgrades - run apt-get upgrade' again until all packages are update.
8. Reboot your system
9. Everything works like it should.

Thank to the entire team for this great software! Especially to mk01 for the hardcore development and Iridium for all his forum support!

RE: Stuck on Starting XBMC - jhyman - 15th Feb, 2014 09:51 AM

Last time I tried restarting at this point I wasn't able to SSH back into the Pi. I'll go ahead and give it a go again and see what happens.

RE: Stuck on Starting XBMC - jhyman - 15th Feb, 2014 11:17 AM

(15th Feb, 2014 07:53 AM)Davem Wrote:  
(2nd Feb, 2014 12:46 AM)barazi Wrote:  I installed Xbian 1.0B2 several times via the xbian-installer using Mac OSX for the RPI 512MB. This was installed on a SanDisk 16GB Class 10 card. Initially after a Fresh install I booted the RPI, soon as the Xbian logo appeared from the splash screen this was stuck on FS screen resize. Fortunately after another reboot this began to boot up properly into XBMC for setting up.

I can confirm this issue exits also on the Windows installer (Windows 7 - 64 bit). On the first boot the system gets stuck on 'FS resize' screen. After a manual power disconnect the system will boot again into XBMC.

This did not feel right on a fresh install so I tried the image from sourceforge.net with the win32diskimager and the system booted like it should.

--
My road to success for a fresh beta 2 (maybe it can help you):

I faced two error's on the way.

1. Installed the Xbian Beta 2 image by win32diskimager
2. Restored my previous XBMC data with the Add on: XBMC backup (personal step and not required)
3. SSH into Xbian and go to update. Follow the steps chronological
4. From SSH xbian-config run 'check deb upgrades - run apt-get upgrade' unit you get the error with setting up autofs 5.0.7-3
5. Reboot your system
6. Your system will get in a loop 'starting XBMC'
7. Run 'check deb upgrades - run apt-get upgrade' again until all packages are update.
8. Reboot your system
9. Everything works like it should.

Thank to the entire team for this great software! Especially to mk01 for the hardcore development and Iridium for all his forum support!

Thanks, that seems to have worked. And I agree, thanks to everyone who has contributed to development and provided support on the forum.

RE: Stuck on Starting XBMC - liamg - 20th Feb, 2014 06:47 PM

Good morning. I've a similar issue.
I’ve received a new Rasp B 512 and, when trying to make a fresh install of Beta2, my Rasp freezes. The weird thing is it works fine in my old Rasp 256 (the same sd card –Trascend-, the same image…) I’ve tried with Beta1.1 and some backup images too an it’s almost the same. With a different sd card (Patriot) XBian boots but freezes on reboot (in the 512 model, in the 256 it works). I’ve spent most of the night burning/booting/rebooting and have no clue what can happen (I tried Openelec just to make sure the Rasp 512 is fine and it works out of the box with any of the sd cards: one Patriot 8Gb class 10, two Trascend 8Gb class 10)
Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)
Thanks in advance