Forum
Cannot intsall Xbian due to file errors... - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Cannot intsall Xbian due to file errors... (/thread-2105.html)

Cannot intsall Xbian due to file errors... - gregstah - 10th Feb, 2014 07:14 PM

Hi, I've been unsuccessfully trying to install Xbian after reading a great review about it but there is definitely a problem with the file...

When attempting to install via the "Xbian Installer" it downloads till 99% then stops every time. This is after hours waiting for the "99%" to go away and multiple attempts starting from scratch.

I tried to download the image so I could install with Win32 Disk Imager but the unpacking of the file fails and returns a CRC error. I have downloaded the file twice from different mirrors to be as sure as possible.

As a last ditch I've just tried to unpack the current file the Xbian Installer has downloaded - and in case you are wondering...yes, it's stuck on 99%.... here is the error...
! F:\Downloads\RaspberryPi\XBMC\XBian_1.0_Beta_2.img.gz: CRC failed in XBian_1.0_Beta_2.img. The file is corrupt

Are there any other downloads or suggestions that could help me get through this?

Thanks!

G

RE: Cannot intsall Xbian due to file errors... - gregstah - 10th Feb, 2014 10:08 PM

Just because I'm a sucker for punishment I tried to download the image file again... the result proved my that tenacity is often stupid... same result.

Cmon guys, fix the file or take it down... I'm sure there must be loads of other people frustrated by this!

RE: Cannot intsall Xbian due to file errors... - IriDium - 11th Feb, 2014 12:31 AM

Well if it's any help I downloaded the image this morning, unzipped with winrar, ran Win32diskimager and plugged it into my RPi.

So it's not the image!! How are you unzipping it? What is the sha1sum of the extracted image file?

It should be a649e832a00d21d29026acc25d1b4b237e27817d

RE: Cannot intsall Xbian due to file errors... - gregstah - 11th Feb, 2014 01:21 AM

(11th Feb, 2014 12:31 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Well if it's any help I downloaded the image this morning, unzipped with winrar, ran Win32diskimager and plugged it into my RPi.

So it's not the image!! How are you unzipping it? What is the sha1sum of the extracted image file?

It should be a649e832a00d21d29026acc25d1b4b237e27817d

Well slap me silly and call me Susan, I must have tried this at least 5 times on different downloads and each time the result is exactly the same, it unzips till around 99% then chokes right at the end.

I'm using winrar to unzip it...

As I said I really didn't try halfheartedly before saying anything... I've given this quite a bit of elbow grease without any success...

I'll try to download without the download manager and see what the result is.

I'd also like to say that this is the first time I've had this in countless downloads over the years... I'll try again ...

Thank you for letting me know! :-)

G

RE: Cannot intsall Xbian due to file errors... - IriDium - 11th Feb, 2014 02:03 AM

I don't use the installer, but I believe there is an issue on Windoze 7 & 8 (I use XP and it seems to be Ok).

I downloaded it using native Firefox download, but I tried with "Save As" with the same success.

Success!! - gregstah - 11th Feb, 2014 02:45 AM

(11th Feb, 2014 02:03 AM)IriDium Wrote:  I don't use the installer, but I believe there is an issue on Windoze 7 & 8 (I use XP and it seems to be Ok).

I downloaded it using native Firefox download, but I tried with "Save As" with the same success.

I tried downloading the image on a different machine, previously I was using firefox but with "downloadthemall" I've never had problems before so didn't give it a second thought.

This time I downloaded with Chrome and viola! image was able to extract and install....!

Thank you for posting back your feedback turned out to be what I needed!

G :-)

RE: Cannot intsall Xbian due to file errors... - IriDium - 11th Feb, 2014 02:58 AM

BTW: Are you on Windows 7/8? If so this could be the reason the installer failed. (It's a known issue).

I've used downloadthemall before and never had an issue, but I now just use the native firefox download function, which just seems to work.

I think we need to have a MD5 checksum included with the img file - so it can be verified before extraction.

Glad it's all working now. Hopefully the rest of Xbian will be easier to handle!

RE: Cannot intsall Xbian due to file errors... - gregstah - 11th Feb, 2014 04:56 AM

(11th Feb, 2014 02:58 AM)IriDium Wrote:  BTW: Are you on Windows 7/8? If so this could be the reason the installer failed. (It's a known issue).

I've used downloadthemall before and never had an issue, but I now just use the native firefox download function, which just seems to work.

I think we need to have a MD5 checksum included with the img file - so it can be verified before extraction.

Glad it's all working now. Hopefully the rest of Xbian will be easier to handle!

Hi! I'm on Windows 7 :-) and as you say I've never had an issue with downloadthemall before either... I did try quite a few times... somewhere around 7 with the same error each time :-)

Got it working now! Thank you!

G

RE: Cannot intsall Xbian due to file errors... - Duncan Miller - 18th Feb, 2014 05:42 AM

Sorry guys I just don't get it... I have the same issue here, only difference is that I am running Mac (Mavericks), I can download the zip file... unzip, run the installer...picks up my sd card...all good...hit install and it downloads the beta 2 file does so up to 99% and then stalls...

I have tried this now 4 times the last time downloading through Safari rather than Crome (in line with the above advice).... same answer

This is hugely frustrating.... any ideas