Forum
Is there a wiki on backup settings? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Is there a wiki on backup settings? (/thread-2114.html)

Is there a wiki on backup settings? - burgertime - 13th Feb, 2014 03:31 AM

I'm trying to learn all about the xbian backup settings. Auto snapshot vs image, etc... I can't seem to find any literature on it. Can someone point me in the correct direction?

Or, if there is not an literature, perhaps answering the following question would work out too.

Ideally, I'd like Xbian to back up each night at say, 00:00. I'd like the destination of the backup to be on my NAS. Is this doable?

If not, is there an addon that would do this for me? I just want the backup so that in the event of an SD card failure, I can resume, business as usual without having to redo everything.

Thanks!

oops - I'm on beta 2 by the way.

RE: Is there a wiki on backup settings? - IriDium - 13th Feb, 2014 06:21 AM

Xbian provides (almost) all that you desire.

In XBMC Xbian-config -> Backup. Options are given as to the frequency of snapshots. Weekly daily etc.... and the number.

However, it does not specify a time but is triggered by updates. Nor does it request a volume.

So all you really need to do is create a cron job to copy the snapshots to you NAS as and when.

However, I think, this could be an enhancement - to backup snapshots to a specified device.

RE: Is there a wiki on backup settings? - alfaromeo - 15th Feb, 2014 03:23 AM

(13th Feb, 2014 06:21 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Xbian provides (almost) all that you desire.

In XBMC Xbian-config -> Backup. Options are given as to the frequency of snapshots. Weekly daily etc.... and the number.

However, it does not specify a time but is triggered by updates. Nor does it request a volume.

So all you really need to do is create a cron job to copy the snapshots to you NAS as and when.

However, I think, this could be an enhancement - to backup snapshots to a specified device.

And where can I find these snapshots??

RE: Is there a wiki on backup settings? - mk01 - 24th Mar, 2014 12:36 PM

@alfaromeo

this really needs a wiki - it's topic worth deeper elaboration.

basically snapshot is a "frozen" atomic state of the filesystem (at the time snapshot was taken). by default snapshot's location is the same media as your XBian is running from, so provides no protection against media failure. but in case of bad updates, user misconfiguration or any other system failure you can boot into such "states", or you can rollback them (discard actual system status and make the "snapshot" the actual one). this operations take no longer than few seconds.

.img will create flash-able (bootable) file as 1:1 copy of your system including XBMC Libs & configs including /boot partition. such .img file can be stored externally (different local storage media from rootfs or even over the network).

.img file is nothing else than a container holding another XBian native filesystem to which existing snapshots are copied automatically.

another option is to have a dedicated partition (on local system as again different storage media) what can serve as destination for cloning operations.

if you want NAS with shared folder be used, then choose .img.

or if you don't have any special applications / services running on your XBian install, I would personally go for "backuphome" what doesn't backup unnecessary system files, just XBian home / XBMC libraries and settings. in case of restore needed you would take any existing default .img (from web, xb ian installer etc) and after 1st boot you would just drag & drop this backup file onto XBian icon in network browser. XBian will do the restore and restart XBMC after the operation - providing your old "XBian" after next XBMC start.

RE: Is there a wiki on backup settings? - dharmabm - 24th Mar, 2014 04:39 PM

(24th Mar, 2014 12:36 PM)mk01 Wrote:  @alfaromeo

this really needs a wiki - it's topic worth deeper elaboration.

i was thinking the same, i will add to my todo list.